Just bought an Alesis Andromeda

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:28 am

Stab: Your absolutely right. This will probably be my last synth in a while, I mean its basically 16 analog mono synths in a keyboard, which I totally dig. For me, its all about the music and songwritting, not what gear you use. I've made mind blowing music with just Reason 3.0 and Sonar LE, and my Electribe MX. I have found ways to get my equipment to do things that most people wouldn't try.

However, I do want an MPC to sample and sequence my stuff, and that would be the last peice of equipment I buy. I wish I had my MMT 8 and S950 with me right now!

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:26 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: Don't turn into one of those people who ends up with a room full of synths they don't fully understand how to use and don't have any tracks to show for it.
:shock:
I think this opinion is realy creapy.
Are people that make music worth more than homo synth ludens? :roll:

There is nothing wrong if you just toy with your synths.

I do make tracks and I do understand how synths work
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:43 am

Architecture wrote:I've made mind blowing music with just Reason 3.0 and Sonar LE, and my Electribe MX.
you did a great job with the MX, I can't wait to hear what would happened when the Andy joint in :) congrats for the new addition.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:19 am

Dirk wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: Don't turn into one of those people who ends up with a room full of synths they don't fully understand how to use and don't have any tracks to show for it.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. What are 'homo synth ludens'?

I'm not saying any one person is worth more than any other, I'm saying that there are people who spend more time thinking about what they're going to buy next than using what they've already got, and that's bad.

It takes time to learn how to use a synth, especially one as complex as the Andromeda. I think quite a few of the people who started suggesting what he buy next didn't even read Architecture's post, they just started telling him what to buy next. Nowhere in his post did he ask for advice on what to buy, or even that he was planning on buying another synth in the near future.

I think there's a bit of a culture in this forum which is based on buying synths, rather than sharing ideas on how to get the most out of them and helping each other out with any problems they might have. Hate to talk about the good old days, but it wasn't always like this.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:19 am

I tend to feel the same way,the more gear i surround myself with the less time i take to learn how to use it.Don't get me wrong i get a little overwhelmed about new gear to, but i never think if i buy this new kit what else should i get to go with it.The only thing i need right now is a digital piano or some sort of weighted action,to salvage my fading piano skills,but an Andromeda would be so much more fun!!.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:44 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Homo ludens is latin for the playing human.
Homo synth ludens is the human playing with synths.
Stab Frenzy wrote: I'm not saying any one person is worth more than any other, I'm saying that there are people who spend more time thinking about what they're going to buy next than using what they've already got, and that's bad.
No, its just not what you do. Judging that as bad is creapy.

But I agree that sharing ideas on how to get the most out of your synths should be stimulated.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Dirk wrote:

I'm not saying any one person is worth more than any other, I'm saying that there are people who spend more time thinking about what they're going to buy next than using what they've already got, and that's bad.

It takes time to learn how to use a synth, especially one as complex as the Andromeda. I think quite a few of the people who started suggesting what he buy next didn't even read Architecture's post, they just started telling him what to buy next. Nowhere in his post did he ask for advice on what to buy, or even that he was planning on buying another synth in the near future.

I think there's a bit of a culture in this forum which is based on buying synths, rather than sharing ideas on how to get the most out of them and helping each other out with any problems they might have. Hate to talk about the good old days, but it wasn't always like this.
I spend just as much time looking at music technology on the internet as I do writing music, and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

But I totally agree with you, most music forums that I've frequented over the years have had a huge fixation on 'what to buy next' with the underlying assumption that more gear will make your music sound better, but I don't think this is unnecessarily a music-only phenomenon
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:38 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote: But I totally agree with you, most music forums that I've frequented over the years have had a huge fixation on 'what to buy next' with the underlying assumption that more gear will make your music sound better
I think this is a misleading assumption. Most people on this forum just want to have fun with their synths, not to make their music sound better (they don't even make tunes). Getting another synth will result in more fun, whats wrong with that?

Do not judge people who are/act different that you!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:41 am

Why should ANYONE judge or give a rat's a*s about what other people use their synths for in their own livingroom? And why should anyone care about what others mean about their use of synths? It's not like "The Synth Police" will come and confiscate the gear if you don't churn out 2 records a year. Bullcrap.

The people who yell about it are usually just envious of the one that has lots of big synths, and think it is unfair that someone else has more gear than them and doesn't use it in the same way.

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 pm

I actually admire the people who are using the cheap c**p to make amazing music than the people with a full room of synths, and make medicore music. I have heard amazing things done with just Impulse Tracker 2.14 that slay even the best of prodigy's work.

I am far more about the music than I am about the technology its done with.

I can't imagine why would people just spend thousands of dollars on synths, and not make any music with them. Thats such a waste.

mesc

Post by mesc » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:19 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote: But I totally agree with you, most music forums that I've frequented over the years have had a huge fixation on 'what to buy next' with the underlying assumption that more gear will make your music sound better, but I don't think this is unnecessarily a music-only phenomenon
I'll not judge anyone else by what they spend their money on or their time doing, as I feel like a lot of the "player or collector?" debates just boil down to sour grapes, but I do want to comment on this last point of yours.

A few years ago I was looking for a tripod to go along with my camera and I discovered a whole world of internet photo messageboards and forums where people debated this glass versus that glass and camera enthusiasts had 5 cameras with 10 lenses and I'm sure they had constant arguments over whether somebody was a photographer or a collector. Long story short, I think that every hobby has these kinds of debates and consumerism runs rampant through them. No big deal, the fact that people are buying music equipment keeps the industry alive and prices down. :)

Anyhow, that Andromeda looks really neat and way over my head. I hope to hear some tunes from it in the near future!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:51 pm

congratulations. you got yourself a board that will inspire lot of music. it has both, the character and responsiveness to make you wanna play and write, and at the same time its a programmers/sound designers paradise, with its deep arhitecture. enjoy.

@Stab Frenzy
hehe, you touched the hornets nest there. its funny how ppl always get defensive/insecure about this issue, and start lowering this to personal level. i for one dont think what you stated has anything to do with judging ppl, but its stating your preferences within context of musicmaking. this is a music-related forum after all.

i agree most forums have underlying hobby culture of "what to buy next". few yrs back ive had a phase when i bought into that too hehee. its human i guess. VSE aint geared towards music making or sharing ideas, that much, but its still here from time to time. right now, i think partly this phenomena has to do with (enforced) sub-forum politics, those that no one visits. and automatically you are left with bunch of GAS-oriented topics in "general synhesizers".

my 0.02 euro

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

felis

Post by felis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 am

Congratulations on the A6.

I'd suggest going even further in setting up an initialized patch. Just bypass the filters at first and experiment with the many options available just in the oscillator section.
Go through the different waveforms, the different types of oscillator sync, the FM options, the sub-oscillators and so on.
There's a wealth of material to work with.
Then focus on all the different filter options. Maybe then try seeing what all the mod options and Croutes are all about, and so on.

I'm not 'talking down' to you if you're already very experienced with synthesis.
It's just that the A6 gives you so much to work with that it can be a little overwhelming if you try to take everything in all at once. It's also a good way to get to know the ins and outs of any synth in general.

Anyways, have fun and enjoy your great new synth.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 am

that rocks that you're getting an A6.thats cool that you mentioned Impulse Tracker 2.14 I used to use that program all the time on a Pentium-120 with 16MB ram.You should check out Mod Plug tracker sometime.

felis

Post by felis » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:24 am

Well architecture - I just checked your gear list in your sig, and see that among the many things you have is a Micron.
Believe it or not, this'll give you a giant head start in coming to terms with the A6.
I mean despite the obvious analog/digital thing, there's a lot they have in common from a conceptual standpoint.