Just bought an Alesis Andromeda

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:18 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
piRoN wrote:
Dirk wrote:I replied to Stabs comment because I don't like intolerance.
Please excuse me while I choke on some irony.
:lol: I wasn't going to say anything, thanks.
Intolerance against people who act differently undermines a free society.
Intolerance against people who are intolerant creates a free society.

Choke on that.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

piRoN
Gear: A fair bit.

Post by piRoN » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:24 pm

Dirk wrote: Intolerance against people who act differently undermines a free society.
Uh... no. It creates a society in which only 'approved' opinions are tolerated. Voltaire must be spinning in his grave.

Your inability to allow another person to hold a viewpoint different to yours (in this case, Stab) without attacking their belief makes you nothing more than yet another hypocrite attempting to hide a lack of tolerance behind a veil of high morality.

Now if you don't mind, some of that irony is still caught at the back of my throat.
Ensoniq EPS-m | Elby Designs ASM-2 | Yamaha TQ5 | Akai S3000XL | Akai X7000 | Novation KS-4 | SCI Prophet 2000 | Kawai K1m | Korg Monotribe | Korg Monotron | Roland S-50 | Roland D-10 | Roland MKS-7 | Yamaha RX11

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:44 pm

piRoN wrote:
Dirk wrote: Intolerance against people who act differently undermines a free society.
Uh... no. It creates a society in which only 'approved' opinions are tolerated. Voltaire must be spinning in his grave.

Your inability to allow another person to hold a viewpoint different to yours (in this case, Stab) without attacking their belief makes you nothing more than yet another hypocrite attempting to hide a lack of tolerance behind a veil of high morality.

Now if you don't mind, some of that irony is still caught at the back of my throat.
I wasn't reacting agains an opinion, like Architecture's saying people using synths as toys and he thinks that is a waste. I was reacting against an action being called bad. There's a big difference, (edit:) one is an opinion the other is a stigmatisation. And I have a strong intolerance against that, as mentioned before.

I am also fundamentaly against fundamentalism.
Feel free to choke on that to.
Last edited by Dirk on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

devious

Post by devious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:54 pm

The best part about this forum is the love we all share for one another. I guess that's why I keep coming back :D :D :D :D :D :twisted:
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm

can we please get back on topic? :cat:
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:20 pm

Vaugly on topic, would more people be interested in andromedas if they looked like vintage synths with the wodden panels and retro knobs and sliders, or do people who own andromedas just love the futuristic vibes they get from it?
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Dirk wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:
piRoN wrote: Please excuse me while I choke on some irony.
:lol: I wasn't going to say anything, thanks.
Intolerance against people who act differently undermines a free society.

Choke on that.
Who's acting differently, you and just about everyone else? You're rebelling against the norms by buying more things? :lol:

And two other people and I are conforming? To what?

You don't even make any sense with your quasi-intellectual arguements.

I don't even see how saying that learning to use the tools you have properly is better than just buying more and more is intolerant.

Anyway no need to get worked up about it, I'm not losing any sleep. My original comment was directed at Architecture and he agreed with me. The only reason I can think of that you even butted in is that deep down you know that collecting synths is sick, perverted behaviour and you're trying to ease your guilty conscience. ;)

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:11 pm

Andromeda talk only, from this point please!

Dirk - feel free to choke on a two-week ban if you wish to pursue this derailment further.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

pop

Post by pop » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:38 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:would more people be interested in andromedas if they looked like vintage synths with the wodden panels and retro knobs and sliders, or do people who own andromedas just love the futuristic vibes they get from it?
The Andromeda design is spectacular. Is it an Axel Hartmann work, doesn't it? I think i'd read something about that.

There's some photos on the net of a custom andy with wood panels and the front panel elevated and i just prefer the original design, because it's a classic even though it's very futuristic.

Before i've get mine i didn't like too much the design. I bought the synth for the sound but when the thing came home... wow, i felt in love.

I've had it for 5 months and it's the best buy i've made without a doubt. The sound is fantastic.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Arch,
Congrats on the Andy; lots of fun times coming your way.
The whole "room full of synths/intolerance" sidebar was a tasty snack.Now back to my room full of synths :wink:
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

jonkull
Gear: Andromeda • Serge • Buchla

Post by jonkull » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:47 pm

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:Vaugly on topic, would more people be interested in andromedas if they looked like vintage synths with the wodden panels and retro knobs and sliders, or do people who own andromedas just love the futuristic vibes they get from it?
Well I love the sound and flexibility of my Andromeda...and the layout of buttons and knobs. However (in my opinion) in comparison to my Voyager or LP it feels cheap. The knobs/buttons feel like they'd break easily and I hate the plastic ends. So yeah, I suppose some wood ends and better quality knobs and buttons would make it better for me from a design standpoint. I may make some changes once my warranty runs out. Like I said though I love the sound and that's a little more important than looks.

danialad
Gear: Alesis Ion
Casiotone 403
Band: gypsy(moths)

Post by danialad » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:14 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Don't turn into one of those people who ends up with a room full of synths they don't fully understand how to use and don't have any tracks to show for it.
i second this.

exactly the reason i am selling/sold my older synths.
(on ebay right now: akai ax-80 and korg poly-800)

stick with what i use/love most.

i've got the ion, but if i had an adromeda, i'd be set for life.
[the gypsy moth project]

have: alesis ion, casiotone 403
had: akai ax-80, korg poly-800, roland juno-6, korg er-1,
alesis sr-16, yamaha tx802, korg dw/ex-8000, korg ms2000

felis

Post by felis » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:42 pm

I didn't like the design of the Andromeda at all, at first.
But now that I've had it a while, its kind of grown on me - it doesn't look 'ugly' or 'weird' now. Just that I would have liked it done differently.
I love the looks of Dave Smith's boards.

Build quality is OK compared to a lot of stuff that's come out recently, but it could be better. And I don't care for the plastic ends either.

But overall, you can forgive a lot when you fire it up, hear the gorgeous sounds coming out of it, and dive into the deeper end of editing it.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:17 am

I really find the Andromeda ugly. It was sitting near the Nords and Voyagers at a local store. I went home with a red keyboard that day. :P
After reading a lot of reviews later it sounds like a powerhouse but my first impression was who spilled the grape juice...then I saw the name and thought are those blobs supposed to look like galaxies or something. Honestly I didn't even try it out because of it's looks. I tried out the Moogs but didn't like the interface/feel on both the Voyager and LP or their sound. If it was a solid color it probably wouldn't be so bad, I understand the blobs are to help understand what controls each function. What do you guys call those blobs of paint around the knobs?

devious

Post by devious » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:32 am

c1t1zen wrote:What do you guys call those blobs of paint around the knobs?
I would say "painted imagery of coffee spills" so you have a reason not to be mad when you spill your coffee on your synth? Makes sense to me.

I think it's hideous and with the name it has, it could had been more well designed in the looks category. But I still desire one nonetheless because of what it's capable of doing. If I bought synths merely on how they looked, boy....well, I guess...well, I'd still have every synth I have in my possession except the SK-50D :)

Aaron
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo