Just bought an Alesis Andromeda

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:34 am

seamonkey wrote:
clusterchord wrote:
felis wrote:I still don't have an sram card for my A6. Does anyone know where I can get one from - preferably in the US, and not from ebay.
got my two cards from Timasci, 2Mb SRAM. i forgot the exact url tho..
Is this the site?
http://www.timatech.com/sram-memory-car ... a1c0bb584e
yes, this is the one you want: PN5002

http://www.timatech.com/products.php?pd ... a1c0bb584e

huh, helluva inflation, they were somtin like $60 - 65, in 2003 when i bought em.

@ bout andromeda looks:

well, i dont hate the design. im not crazy about it either. i do like wood ends SCI pots, or even better aluminium ends with those sml sexy rolandese JP8 pots/sliders. and A6 would look aweomse with those. but dont think that would influence my buying decision. SOUND comes first. and that is why i had to have one.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:11 am

Architecture wrote:I can't imagine why would people just spend thousands of dollars on synths, and not make any music with them. Thats such a waste.
Just because you don't hit record doesn't mean that you aren't making music.. It's a spiritual thing. Everything doesn't have to be a "product".

I am more bothered by people that get their feet wet too soon and play too many shows of the same contrived idea. Back in my punkrock days .. I called them "Peavey Bands". Punchie, exciting sounding .. but wears off like chewing gum after 4 songs..

I think more people should hide in their rooms to be honest.. I mean that more in a figurative way..

um .. go Andromeda!! yip yip. ugly thing..
Last edited by JUGEL on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:22 am

JUGEL wrote:
Architecture wrote:I can't imagine why would people just spend thousands of dollars on synths, and not make any music with them. Thats such a waste.
Just because you don't hit record doesn't mean that you aren't making music.. It's a spiritual thing. Everything doesn't have to be a "product".

I am more bothered by people that get their feet wet too soon and play too many shows of the some contrived idea. Back in my punkrock days .. I called them "Peavey Bands". Punchie, exciting sounding .. but wears off like chewing gum after 4 songs..

I think more people should hide in their rooms to be honest.. I mean that more in a figurative way..

great post!
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:50 am

JUGEL wrote:

I am more bothered by people that get their feet wet too soon and play too many shows of the some contrived idea. Back in my punkrock days .. I called them "Peavey Bands". Punchie, exciting sounding .. but wears off like chewing gum after 4 songs..

and despite what an opinionated a*s you can be, this is why i like you.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:21 am

clusterchord wrote:@ bout andromeda looks:

well, i dont hate the design. im not crazy about it either. i do like wood ends SCI pots, or even better aluminium ends with those sml sexy rolandese JP8 pots/sliders. and A6 would look aweomse with those. but dont think that would influence my buying decision. SOUND comes first. and that is why i had to have one.
I pretty much agree. For example, I think the SunSyn is pretty damn ugly. But I do love the way it sounds.

BUT... If the Andro had a more "vintage" look, I can imagine being more interested in it initially, before I've even had the chance to try it out. For example, if the Andy looked like a Jupiter 8 (one of the greatest synth designs IMO), maybe I'd already had one, and not just think about getting one... I can see myself being subliminally affected by synthesizers looks...

- CM

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 am

I have an Andromeda-related question: When it first came out, I remember hearing all about the ASIC chips, and that they were a cheaper way of doing analog circuitry because a single voice was "all on one chip", so to speak.

Is the A6 the only synth to use this technology? Or does DSI use the same type thing for the Evo and P'08?

Just wondering, because given the price point of a 16 voice A6, it sure seems like someone could be building REALLY cheap mono synths with that technology.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 am

The evolver (sort of) and P'08 use DCOs. The A6 uses VCOs which can behave like DCOs when auto-tune is put on.

In other words, I doubt they use the same voice chips.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:26 am

soundxplorer wrote:I have an Andromeda-related question: When it first came out, I remember hearing all about the ASIC chips, and that they were a cheaper way of doing analog circuitry because a single voice was "all on one chip", so to speak.

Is the A6 the only synth to use this technology? Or does DSI use the same type thing for the Evo and P'08?

Just wondering, because given the price point of a 16 voice A6, it sure seems like someone could be building REALLY cheap mono synths with that technology.
The Evolvers use Curtis chips, so no, it's different.

The chips themselves aren't a huge amount of the price of a synth, things like design, interface, power supply, hardware and case are all bigger factors.

There are a few cut all costs analogue monosynths out there like the desktop Evolver and that MFB, but they can't really get much cheaper. Even buying all the parts for a x0xb0x where you substitute out the vintage parts for newer cheaper ones comes to $250-300, and that's not including design costs and labour.

When you make a few synths yourself you realise that actually what's out there, especially on the second hand market, is really cheap for what it can do.

felis

Post by felis » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote: ...
The chips themselves aren't a huge amount of the price of a synth, things like design, interface, power supply, hardware and case are all bigger factors.

If that's so, I wonder if Alesis would be able to make an analog synth similar in price, size and features to the Micron? Even if it was a mono, it'd be cool.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:23 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:The Evolvers use Curtis chips, so no, it's different.
Oh, I know they are different. I'm a huge fan of the Curtis sound in Sequential and Oberheim gear (and now DSI, of course).

But I was wondering if they were manufactured with the same kind of "method", or however you want to describe it. I just remember Alesis making a big deal about their ASICs being a new type of thing. But maybe that was just a little marketing fluff.

You're totally right about the other things costing more than the chips though. Sadly, that's why knob-laden synths are so expensive.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:41 am

felis wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: ...

If that's so, I wonder if Alesis would be able to make an analog synth similar in price, size and features to the Micron? Even if it was a mono, it'd be cool.
It'd be more expensive to begin with, the Micron doesn't have all the circuitry inside to power and control the analogue circuitry. Also money would have to be spent on R&D, with the Micron all the R&D was already done with the Ion. Then they'd have to sell as many of them as they've sold Microns, in order to keep the price down with volume sales and that's just not going to happen.

Besides, the Micron already does a great job of analogue emulation. If Alesis wanted to improve something about it then the crappy key feel, lack of aftertouch and annoying interface need improvement much more than the sound. But they have the Ion already to cover that.

If you really want something Micron sized, cheap and analogue, think about a desktop Evolver and a cheap controller keyboard. Alesis aren't going to put anything like that out soon.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:19 am

felis wrote:If that's so, I wonder if Alesis would be able to make an analog synth similar in price, size and features to the Micron? Even if it was a mono, it'd be cool.
Coming soon, to a dream near you.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:25 am

Awesome, haha :D

Architecture
Gear: TR909, TR808 Dot Com, Moog LP. x0xb0x, Andromeda A6, AX60, SQ80, EPS, DSI PEK Pot Edition, ASR10, Juno 60.
Band: Architecture!

Post by Architecture » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:04 am

SO I got it Today! Man I have been playing it nonstop! Me and a friend have already used it in a new track of ours, and man I can see now why people love analog! This thing is amazing! WOW!

Now programming this beast will definitely take some learning.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Architecture wrote:Image

SO I got it Today! Man I have been playing it nonstop! Me and a friend have already used it in a new track of ours, and man I can see now why people love analog! This thing is amazing! WOW!

Now programming this beast will definitely take some learning.
Great stuff! I shall be looking for one in the UK in the near future...