Roland MKS-80

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sorcerio

Roland MKS-80

Post by Sorcerio » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 am

Damn! I can't believe this synth sells for so much money!!! The samples here on VSE sound worse than me taking a c**p on top of an AMC Gremlin.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:58 am

easily the worst synth I've ever seen, heard, or used.

who would ever buy one?

f**k idiots!
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:59 am

agreed, many of short samples, esp representing classics like P5 or OBXa, are absolutely terrible. you will find better demos, for almost any board, here among the forum members, just visit listening lounge, or use the search function there or here on general synths.

try these for Rev4 (Curtis version): http://www.babic.com/SYN/mks80.htm

and for Rev5 (Roland VCO version) check the top of the following page, under "polyphonic analogs": http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... p?t=753746

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

tyrannosaurus mark

Re: Roland MKS-80

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:12 pm

Sorcerio wrote:Damn! I can't believe this synth sells for so much money!!! The samples here on VSE sound worse than me taking a c**p on top of an AMC Gremlin.
Off topic, but diggin your myspace tunes!
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:33 pm

Sorcerio wrote:Damn! I can't believe this synth sells for so much money!!! The samples here on VSE sound worse than me taking a c**p on top of an AMC Gremlin.
So you've spent quality time with one then? I haven't, and until I have, I don't think I'm qualified to say whether it's worth the money.

It's unwise to judge things from a dearth of information.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:05 pm

This won't make secondhand versions cheaper; once the genie is out of the bottle (e.g. spectacular mp3 demos) you can't push it back ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:52 pm

I want an MKS80, and I want it bad. That dry Rev4 sound is just so "me". Each day, I fight my GASeous urges and convince myself to get an Eventide H3000 instead. Cluster's Rev4 demos nearly made me cave in, but luckily he managed to cook up some fine Orville demos too... Phew!

- CM

fingerbib2000

Post by fingerbib2000 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:55 pm

best sounding synth i have.. Rev 4 or Rev 5, it just sounds so lush...
Sequential Circuits Pro-8, Rolands TB-303, MKS-80, JX-8P, SH-09. Waldorfs Microwave XT, Pulse. Yamahas RS7000, A4000, DX-200. 2 x Cheetah MS-6. Novations Supernova 1 & 2. Korg ER-1. Creamware Pulsar 2.

devious

Post by devious » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:15 pm

my first piece of hardware. I was in love, 1500 dollars for the combo, sold them together later on to buy my prophet 5 @ 2400 dollars :)

do i miss it? a little bit. it's definitely a unique sound like all gear, but was it worth the tradedown?up? in my eyes, yes. and i probably will never have another mks80 by choice, would rather have a jupiter 6 next time around. :)

-d
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 pm

From my understanding and I could be wrong....its often labeled as a JP-8 in a conveient box but in reality its much more like a JP-6.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:44 pm

I was just listening to clusterchord's and cool chung's demos yesterday. The rev4 demos struck me as having a very bright, but not harsh, resonance, and better fidelity than the JX's. The rev5 demos made me think they might be closer to JX series.
Personally, I'd take a JP4 and SH2 over an MKS80 any day.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 pm

There's an organic sound to the MKS80 that reminds me of the CS80 and the Chroma. Less in your face than either of the Jups but worthwhile none the less. Personally I think they're worth the price they're getting these days.8 voice VCO in a box, what's not to like? 8)
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:35 pm

Jack Spider wrote:
So you've spent quality time with one then? I haven't, and until I have, I don't think I'm qualified to say whether it's worth the money.

It's unwise to judge things from a dearth of information.

i think this is one of those "complain about a synth so the price goes down" threads.

hence my contribution
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:42 pm

wiss wrote:From my understanding and I could be wrong....its often labeled as a JP-8 in a conveient box but in reality its much more like a JP-6.
the ver. 4 is sposed to be near identical to the Jup-6, whereas the ver.5 is sposed to be closer to the jup-8.... richer oscs and a glassier/whistlier filter (tho it doesn't self-oscillate).. the ver. 5 filter is the same as the mks-70/jx8

As Urgetoplay has said to me: one thing that I think allows the mks to surpass the other jups is the velocity sensitivity-can't be sent to env time as well as filter, so (though I hate the phrase), it's very expressive.... I'm not much of a "player", but I dig that feature.

I only paid $1500 with the mpg80 a few months ago, so it's not like you can't still get it for a "normal" price.
Do you even post on vse bro?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:36 pm

Carey M wrote:I want an MKS80, and I want it bad. That dry Rev4 sound is just so "me". Each day, I fight my GASeous urges and convince myself to get an Eventide H3000 instead. Cluster's Rev4 demos nearly made me cave in, but luckily he managed to cook up some fine Orville demos too... Phew!
hehey Carry, my deepest apologies :D

but seriously, im glad u liked them. i sold my MKS80 when i was in a tight spot, and now its been gone for almost 2yrs, and i miss it terribly. its so easy and quick to get results using that panel interface. and the synth responds to the editing in the "right" way. i think this scheme, that Roland used on jp6/8/mks80 is phenomenal.

true mks80 has almost identical voice circuitry and sounds very much like Jupiter6. it lacks the multimode filter, yet ads a lo eq boost which has its pros and cons - it is tad bit less smooth/sweet than Jup6, but it ads growl and rawness in bass. huge thing is addition of velocity sensitivity,,, it lends expression to analog sound that yields different style of playin. filter-to-velocity sounds AWESOME, eps in bass unison.

Rev5 has very nice VCOs, less dry/focused than Curtis vcos. Filter/VCA and envelopes are identical to MKS-70/JX-10/8P. imo this change in vco design makes for sweeter brass, strings and PWM.
Last edited by clusterchord on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc