My Korg M500

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:41 am

vse somehow feels more refreshing...as if it just took a massive dump.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:26 am

immigrantboy wrote:Yeah. For less than 10% the price, at the expense of 2 less osc's and half the EG, whoopedy-friggin-doo, it does have its perks! Excuse me for being pleased with my synth...
I'm joking dude, chill. 8) I have a Teisco S-100P which is a preset synth (much like the KORG) and it's quite nice actually so I can see the appeal.

I just thought it was rather funny to compare it to Minimoog.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:03 pm

The Roland Jupiter-4 is my favorite. Its not the best Polysynth out there (certainly not) but its basic tone is just really warm and organic. This may sound absolutally crazy but i prefer the JP-4 to the classic Jupiter-8. I have had long plays with a Jupiter-8 and think the JP-4 has a far more interseting sound. The Jupiter-4 has something very sepecial about its sound, just like the great Moog's do.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:48 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:The Roland Jupiter-4 is my favorite. Its not the best Polysynth out there (certainly not) but its basic tone is just really warm and organic. This may sound absolutally crazy but i prefer the JP-4 to the classic Jupiter-8. I have had long plays with a Jupiter-8 and think the JP-4 has a far more interseting sound. The Jupiter-4 has something very sepecial about its sound, just like the great Moog's do.
^ the man is obsessed. i hope you ain't sleeping with that JP-4 AC. :lol:
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Syn303 wrote:
Analogue Crazy wrote:The Roland Jupiter-4 is my favorite. Its not the best Polysynth out there (certainly not) but its basic tone is just really warm and organic. This may sound absolutally crazy but i prefer the JP-4 to the classic Jupiter-8. I have had long plays with a Jupiter-8 and think the JP-4 has a far more interseting sound. The Jupiter-4 has something very sepecial about its sound, just like the great Moog's do.
^ the man is obsessed. i hope you ain't sleeping with that JP-4 AC. :lol:
I have found my perfect Polysynth. And no i don't sleep with it but its only at the end of my bed. :wink:
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:06 am

No Jambo, its cool. I wasn't lashing out at you. I'm just kinda disappointed that I can't talk about my synthesizer on a forum for synthesizer enthusiasts because everytime I do, somebody else (you know who I'm talking about) will throw a sarcastic hissy fit until the thread gets locked.

I know its not the best synth in the world, I know its no Minimoog or what have you. But I can't afford anything of the like at this time. I'm not a serious, moneymaking musician, I'm just a starving art student dabbling in music and having a good time. My enthusiasm for this sub-par device was not intended to demean the great name of Moog, or you guys with your serious gear or any other synth big wigs. I just happen to like this humble little machine.

Opinions are great. I like opinions. People should be able to express their opinions freely. But when people use their opinion relentlessly to supress the opinion of others, that is censorship, and that is wrong.
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 pm

If Andy McCluskey of OMD can use the Korg M500 on their first 4 albums, then it's a Synth worth having. I remember picking up a M500sp back in '96 for only £30.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:02 pm

As long as you like it that's all that matters. Throw it through a good delay and reverb and I'm sure you can get some really juicy sounds.

immigrantboy

Post by immigrantboy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:52 pm

That comparison is pretty funny though. Its like comparing a 1948 Cadillac (or whatever classic car you prefer, I just have a thing for Cadillacs) to a motor scooter. You'd have to be a fool to think a motor scooter is better than a Caddy.

But motor scooters are pretty fun too. And hey, they still get you around!

That said, I have neither. But its a model analogy nonetheless.
Main Gear: Korg M500, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha PSS-480, sitar, cassette tapes
Toys: Casio PT-87, Casio SA-40 "Magical Dial", Casio Rapman, "The Crappy Keyboard"

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:05 am

Totally.

And since I'm a bit of a KORG fan boy myself it'd be difficult for me to bad mouth any of their gear.