Waldorf Micro-Q (old version) vs. Blofeld

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paugui

Waldorf Micro-Q (old version) vs. Blofeld

Post by paugui » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi

In Thomann they have the Micro-Q rack (not the Phoenix edition, the older one) for sale at 375 euros and they ask 399 for the Blofeld.

Would I win anything by getting the Blofeld instead of the Micro-Q rack?
What are the main differences between the two?

Thanks in advance,
Regards

Paugui

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:38 pm

With Blofeld you'd be getting the m-Q's VA-ness and all (67?) Wave and M'wave wavetables; on the m-Q you'd only have alt 1 and alt 2 wavetables, which IMO (as a former Q owner) don't offer much. Blofeld offers better bang for the buck, plus that nice larger editing screen. However be forewarned it is new and the OS bugs are still being hammered out at this time. Good luck.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:03 pm

The micro Q has 3 pairs of assignable stereo outputs (6 outputs).
The Blofeld has 1 stereo pair (2 outputs).

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:43 pm

I have owned a Micro-Q, a Q rack, an XT and currently own a full size Q keyboard. The Blofeld offers something you can't get on any of these synths and for my money (which I haven't yet spent on a Blofeld) it's a huge feature:

It has all the MW/XT wavetables and you can use separate wavetables for each of the OSCs. The XT series requires you to use the same wavetable for both OSCs and the Q series only has the two wavetables (Alt1 and Alt2).

A couple other things about the BLofeld are worth noting for some people. No audio in (MicroQ has this) and no MIDI out or thru (MicroQ has these, too.) The Blofeld has a USB interface, MicroQ does not. MicroQ is rackable, Blofeld thus far is not without custom fabrication.

If I had to decide between a MicroQ and Blofeld right now I'd take the Blofeld. It's a lot of synth for the money. However a microQ is no slouch. For the prices they are selling for used they also have to be one of the better VAs available.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

paugui

Post by paugui » Thu May 22, 2008 5:25 pm

But in terms of just the VA section, excluding the extra wavetables, is the Blofeld equal to the Micro-Q?

Is that I was in a store yesterday and when they asked me 900 euros for a Micro-Q I said I would have to think, specially because there is the Blofeld now (of course I wouldn't think as the price was just insanely high...), to which he replied I shouldn't compare as the sound on the older Waldorf Micro-Q synth was much better than the Blofeld as well as the building quality (on that I guess he might be right, no?).

He also gave a good example to show his idea, that if I had a Jupiter 8 at home I wouldn't say that the V-Synth had the same sound just because it was a Roland...
I guess that's a pretty different situation... :?

Best regards

Paugui

steveman

Post by steveman » Thu May 22, 2008 8:38 pm

paugui wrote: Is that I was in a store yesterday and when they asked me 900 euros for a Micro-Q I said I would have to think, specially because there is the Blofeld now (of course I wouldn't think as the price was just insanely high...), to which he replied I shouldn't compare as the sound on the older Waldorf Micro-Q synth was much better than the Blofeld as well as the building quality (on that I guess he might be right, no?).
Sounds like he was trying to get you to spend the extra 500 Euros on the Micro-Q....
From what I've read (no personal experience, not even seen a Blofeld in the flesh) there is a slight difference in sound. According to the new SOS review the Blofeld sounds slightly 'smoother' than it's predecessors (seen that comment elsewhere too).
Whether or not that means 'worse' is up to you of course...

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Fri May 23, 2008 3:08 am

I would also have to question the claim that the Blofeld build quality is somehow inferior. although I have not owned a Micro-Q I have had a Microwave XT. before I got my Blofeld I was expecting the build quality to be substandard (small, inexpensive module being manufactured by a completely new Waldorf entity, of course they'd be looking to cut corners to maximize profits, right?), but once I got it in my hands I was quite suprised with how solid and sturdy a synth it is, very well-constructed, imo. as for sound, I'd agree it does sound a bit "smoother" than my XT (and likely the Micro Q), but there are plenty of options onboard to add as many wrinkles to the sound as you like. :wink:

paugui

Post by paugui » Fri May 23, 2008 12:57 pm

It's good to know it's build quality is pretty good.

Since you have the Microwave XT too, do you think that since the Blofeld has all the Microwave XT wavetables it can replace it in some way?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 23, 2008 2:09 pm

Huppo wrote:The XT series requires you to use the same wavetable for both OSCs
Huh? What's Wave 1 and Wave 2 for, then?

Just asking here because I've tried to find this out - it would be a rather glaring omission - and the only thing I can find is the "Link" option that copies all settings from osc 1 to osc 2.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

DocT

Post by DocT » Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 pm

From the XT manual:

The Wavetable parameter selects the wavetable for both waves 1 and 2.

For wave 2 you can however select a different startwave, phase envelope amounts etc.