modern wet squishy synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cybananna

modern wet squishy synth?

Post by Cybananna » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:01 am

Hello, I have a mini-korg (K1) and a Korg 770. They have what I would call a wet squishy sound. I only use them in my studio and never take them anywhere. I'm looking for a modern synth with this sound character.

I want to have something to play live with or move around occasionally. I haven't found anything with that character in something modern. I want to keep the two korgs in a safe place since I love them so much and use them a lot on recordings.

I've tried the Voyager, PEK, ms-2000, pulse, virus, V-synth, and several others. I know this may be heresy, but the V-synth has been the closest i've found. To my surprise, even more than the real analogs, but it's not close enough to love.

Everything is too hard sounding.

feature-wise, it's easy since they're both pretty basic these days. I just can't get that wet sound.

Any thoughts on the LP (is it too much like the voyager) or some small modular system (modular is not my first choice because they seem like they cause severe never ending GAS). I assume it's the vco and vcf that gives the wetness to the sound. Yea, I have been doing fine with close enough, but like all GAS I just can't help but to keep searching.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:26 am

The FutureRetro XS seems to me to be the squishiest sounding synth on the market at the moment, and also the ballsiest. Maybe check out the demos of it.