I think I'm in love

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

I think I'm in love

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:24 pm

Carbon's post about the Serge modular peaked my interest in modulars so I started doing some searches and came across this:
http://www.cwejman.net/cwejman.net/s1mk2.htm
has anyone had the opportunity to see or work with one?
do you think I could get $3000usd for my right nut?
how about a kidney?
liver?
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I suggest you sell half your gear and then buy one :wink:
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:17 pm

I think it would be easier to part with my right nut! :dontknow:

The D50 and VFX are my original babies purchased brand new, they are mint and are going into the coffin with me when I depart to Analog Heaven..oh wait I'm getting cremated, that may pose a problem. I'm using the VFX as my main board at the moment.
The wavestation is sick, it suffers from collapsing keys syndrome, I've taken it apart twice and lubed them but one needs to be totally replaced.It will be going up for sale, original owner.
The prophecy is a rare breed and small enough to store in the closet and bring out when I feel like getting crazy.
The Indigo is mint and great for spacey sounds..plus those filters. :love10:
Voyager..I have a rare Maple one and I love it..plus it's analog.
The AN1X is a great VA synth that I'm still learning.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

droolmaster0

Re: I think I'm in love

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:18 pm

seamonkey wrote:Carbon's post about the Serge modular peaked my interest in modulars so I started doing some searches and came across this:
http://www.cwejman.net/cwejman.net/s1mk2.htm
has anyone had the opportunity to see or work with one?
do you think I could get $3000usd for my right nut?
how about a kidney?
liver?
The Cwejman is a great little synth. I had one and eventually traded for a case of modcan gear, but this was really a decision to put all I had available into a modcan a + future serge system, and the fact that I have another semimodular (m5).

It is actually very flexible - more so than the m5 in most ways, and has that Cwejman sound. It's been described as 'precise' and it's a good word. It wasn't have that warm, bubbly analog sound - it's harder, well, precise, and really cuts. I think it's a great instrument, actually.

They pop up used from time to time at about $2400 or so. Keep an eye out for them. One was just for sale very recently.

system777

Post by system777 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:52 pm

Hi Joe here. I agree quite a "precise" sound...There where only a few problems I had with it...1) no mults 2) not enough mixing options 3) this one's just me, but no CV pan...BUT you do get an amazing cv/midi converter = )...

The other option would be the modules but they are VERY expensive...and the rack that holds them is beyond expensive...

The form factor of both are amazing...they are very narrow...

Joe

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:45 pm

system777 wrote:Hi Joe here. I agree quite a "precise" sound...There where only a few problems I had with it...1) no mults 2) not enough mixing options 3) this one's just me, but no CV pan...BUT you do get an amazing cv/midi converter = )...

The other option would be the modules but they are VERY expensive...and the rack that holds them is beyond expensive...

Joe
I think that there is an assumption that the user is integrating the s1m2 into an existing modular system - they could have including mults, more mixing etc, but that would have added to the cost.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:37 pm

droolmaster0 wrote:
system777 wrote:Hi Joe here. I agree quite a "precise" sound...There where only a few problems I had with it...1) no mults 2) not enough mixing options 3) this one's just me, but no CV pan...BUT you do get an amazing cv/midi converter = )...

Joe
I think that there is an assumption that the user is integrating the s1m2 into an existing modular system - they could have including mults, more mixing etc, but that would have added to the cost.
I still aim to one day own a Cwejman... I just have to work up the balls to spend $2k+ on a semi-modular mono! :shock:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:39 pm

The Cwejman S1 mkII is £1999 here in the UK, and i have been looking at one on and off for a good year now, but that price just won't come down. I'm still wondering why on earth i sold my large doepfer system :(
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:51 am

I have had an S1mk2 for about 8 months now. It certainly compliments my synths well, and judging by your sig, it might be a good fit.

some things i love about it:
1.) it makes sounds without cables. very inspiring. sometimes i let my 5 year old turn the knobs and see what comes out. yes, this makes it semi-modular, but its somehow inspiring NOT to have to patch together a sound.
2.) form factor. this is basically an arp2600 in a 5 ru rack. midi and audio i/o are on back, as they should be
3.) great sound. i dont know about "precise" but rich comes to mind. it sounds great with FM and RM and the filters are nice and complimentary to each other. so many times you see the same filter in a modular, just done twice. these sound different.
4.) turning knobs, you can get crazy modulations. for example, theres a filter mix knob for the above mentioned filters, an envelope mix knob that allows the amp to be either 1 or 2 or both, and mod knobs galore.

some things that i dont love:
1.) only one lfo. this is crazy. yes, i know OSC1 will go lo, but its kinda not the right mindset.
2.) when you start patching it, its not always obvious what knob should control "amount". you have to stare at it for a bit to get used to it. i am somewhat dumber than most people however.
3.) the overdrive isnt very good, frankly, and neither is overdriving one or both filters. you wont get a moog sound out of this, thats for sure. to each his own though, right?
4.) i have a hard time tuning and scaling it. as i mentioned, i am proven dimmer than most lightbulbs.
i will in the next 6 months likely add a euro rack bank of filters and lfo's and envelopes, mostly to add to this.

hope this helps.
doepfer modular, moog rme, cwejman s1 mk2, virus TI Polar, nord modular+G2, kurzweil K2500xs + RS, e-mu proteus 2000, alesis andromeda, dave smith prophet 08 rack, arp avatar, octave cat, emax, speck xtramix

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 am

The cost of the Cwejman is nothing, when you look at other boutique high end modulars. I started an Analogue Systems modular not too long ago, and I really wish I would have found the Cwejman stuff before hand. In fact, I replaced two of my AS 95 oscillators with Cwejman ones.

Simply put, the Cwejman stuff is sick!

[/code]

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:18 pm

soundsubs wrote:I have had an S1mk2 for about 8 months now. It certainly compliments my synths well, and judging by your sig, it might be a good fit.

1.) it makes sounds without cables. very inspiring. sometimes i let my 5 year old turn the knobs and see what comes out. yes, this makes it semi-modular, but its somehow inspiring NOT to have to patch together a sound.
I think that's cute you let your 5 year old play it(that would make an awesome synth video on youtube. :)
I'm very impressed with the short audio demos on the site, they sound great dry. I played some back through my effects on the EMU1616m, a little delay and verb and the richness of the sound and filters were quite present. It seemed it could get as warm as analog can get and quite edgy with filter and rez settings.
Then you can go the other direction and get soundtrack sounds as in the demo "spores".
I like the idea of having it preconfigured and then the option of using patch cables to further the pallette of sound.

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:33 pm

seamonkey wrote:
soundsubs wrote:I have had an S1mk2 for about 8 months now. It certainly compliments my synths well, and judging by your sig, it might be a good fit.

I think that's cute you let your 5 year old play it(that would make an awesome synth video on youtube. :)
I'm very impressed with the short audio demos on the site, they sound great dry. I played some back through my effects on the EMU1616m, a little delay and verb and the richness of the sound and filters were quite present. It seemed it could get as warm as analog can get and quite edgy with filter and rez settings.
Then you can go the other direction and get soundtrack sounds as in the demo "spores".
I like the idea of having it preconfigured and then the option of using patch cables to further the pallette of sound.
The last adjective I'd probably come up with to describe the sound of the s1m2 would be 'warm'. Now, I like it very much, and it really has its own character, but the m5 - that's warm. Not the s1m2 - it has a hard sound that really cuts. Of course, adjectives like warm are quite subjective, but if you purchased one looking for that quality, you might be disappointed.