Replacing my JX-10

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ApolloBoy
Gear: Korg ARP Odyssey
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Replacing my JX-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:53 am

You heard me right. I've become incredibly frustrated as of late with my JX-10 over various technical issues (an A key not working right, iffy headphone jack), and I just totally feel like getting rid of it now.

So, what kind of analog should I replace it with?
Had: DX7, AX-60, SR-16, Yamaha TQ5, 01/WFD, Juno-106, MG-1, JX-03
Want: OB-6, Prophet 6, Jupiter-6

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:20 am

These sound like fairly easy and inexpensive fixes. Given the cost difference between fixing your Roland JX-10 and buying something else, I'd say that it would be a far better idea to fix what you already have. The JX-10 isn't exactly a weakling anyway, the one I played sounded better than a lot of the competition. It's your call, but my guess is that A key has dirt lodged in the circuit board underneath the keys, and your headphone jack probably just needs to be replaced or resoldered. If you have the skills or the willingness to try, you might be able to fix these problems yourself.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

ApolloBoy
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:33 am

Analog Freak wrote:These sound like fairly easy and inexpensive fixes. Given the cost difference between fixing your Roland JX-10 and buying something else, I'd say that it would be a far better idea to fix what you already have. The JX-10 isn't exactly a weakling anyway, the one I played sounded better than a lot of the competition. It's your call, but my guess is that A key has dirt lodged in the circuit board underneath the keys, and your headphone jack probably just needs to be replaced or resoldered. If you have the skills or the willingness to try, you might be able to fix these problems yourself.
I actually took it apart earlier tonight to fix both (which was like pulling teeth) but the cleaning didn't totally fix the key and I wasn't able to pull out the board containing the headphone jack.

I seriously want this synth out of my hair right now... :evil:

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:05 pm

I would suggest either not owning vitnage or realizing you might need to put some money or labor into maintaining them...
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:44 pm

otto wrote:I would suggest either not owning vitnage or realizing you might need to put some money or labor into maintaining them...
Ditto. If you want zero problems go out and buy yourself a P '08, Voyager, or Andromeda. :wink:
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Box wrote: Ditto. If you want zero problems go out and buy yourself a P '08, Voyager, or Andromeda. :wink:
Well.. I wouldn't say zero problems. But close to none!

It does make me wonder how well these synths will hold up 20 years from now. Stronger or not as strong as the old beasts?
Well fffff.

ApolloBoy
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:26 pm

otto wrote:I would suggest either not owning vitnage or realizing you might need to put some money or labor into maintaining them...
I'm still interested in owning vintage analogs. There aren't any VAs in my price range, so vintage's the best I can do right now.

Anyway, I'm now looking at a Juno-106, JX-3P or any of the Alpha Junos. Opinions?

Italo_DX

Post by Italo_DX » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:09 pm

The JX-3P might be the most reliable vintage analog and they can be had for very affordable prices; you won't be disappointed.
Yamaha SY77
Casio CZ-3000
Casio SA-5
BOSS DR-220E
Previously owned: Yamaha DX21, Roland JX-3P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Roland D-50

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:12 pm

Most of the Roland vintage DCO synth's sound better anyway than alot of VA's.JX3P's are very affordable these day's ,Juno 106's i think are a little inflated price wise.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 pm

Mr. Black wrote:Most of the Roland vintage DCO synth's sound better anyway than alot of VA's.JX3P's are very affordable these day's ,Juno 106's i think are a little inflated price wise.
The Juno-6 I have is great for the money. I bought it about 3 years ago for about $300 and it's in mint condition. I'm guessing the reasons it didn't sell for higher was because in the pictures, it looked all dusty and in a dark garage on top of boxes, and because it lacks memory storage. Well when I got it I cleaned it up a bit, and it looks great, sounds great, and I just write my presets down on paper.

I'm glad I didn't go with the Juno 106, because I was considering that too.
Well fffff.

ApolloBoy
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:45 am

OK, I decided to go ahead and give the JX another chance today, so I opened it up and inspected the jack board. Turns out the headphone jack had a cracked solder joint, so I whipped out the old soldering iron and reflowed the joint.

The A key seems to be responding a bit better than last night for some odd reason, so now I've got both those problems out of the way for good. Needless to say, I won't be getting rid of my JX anymore, though I'd still be interested in another Roland poly if I had enough money (and a 3-tier stand).

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:05 am

Damn... and I was going to offer to do you a favour by taking it off your hands... ;)

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:21 am

Not exactly analog... but you could buy my nord lead 2x! :lol:
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

ApolloBoy
Korg Minilogue
Korg Monotron
Korg Volca Beats
Roland Jupiter-4
Roland JX-10
Squier P-Bass
Yamaha CS01
Yamaha CS-10

Post by ApolloBoy » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:02 am

The funny thing is that I actually emailed a guy on Craigslist to see if he would take it, and he told me he'd take it for $50. So I asked him why he lowballed me and he said it would cost $175 and 2-3 hours to have the key and headphone jack fixed, or so he thought.

I fixed it in less than 2 hours and spent nothing to fix it. Shows him. :lol:

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:06 am

That's beyond Lowball $50!!!!! this is when Ebay becomes your friend,my advice to anyone reluctant,or concerned with packing, and shipping synth's even larger one's (like the JX10) just get your hands dirty and do it properly,I have been able to find or create boxs to fit the item at will,bubble wrap,stuff as much peanuts,newspaper possible inside, tape it up inside and out, if something did happen you know you did your best to prevent any damage.I bought a D70 dirt cheap off ebay 8 years ago,listed in excellent condition,firgured why not he was'nt a noob seller either,well when it arrived it wasn't even packed he must have just tossed it in a box and taped it closed, the right side by the pitch bend had a dent, and it made a low humming noise,but ya it did look in new condition,when i contacted him and told him what i thought of his packing job he got very offended and told me that's how he ships everything he sell's and that i should have insured it,I was shocked that he felt this was exceptable.