My worst thrift shop find ever

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

My worst thrift shop find ever

Post by Sexor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:10 pm

I was walking around central Amsterdam today with some friends when we ran across a thrift shop and we decided "hey let's check it out". There was some nice stuff in there like a Roland Space Echo (which they were selling for 600 Euro! what a rip-off!) and some nice analog outboard but no synths.

One thing did catch my attention, a dusty old digital Yamaha drum machine, the RX17. It was only 50 bucks so I thought "what the h**l I'll give it a try".

It didn't come with a power adapter but I have plenty so I paid the 50 bucks and took it home, found the right power supply and turned it on.....

...nothing happens. It's f"#$%"# dead!!!

Dammit! And I was having such a good day :(
Monkey business since 2007!

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:21 pm

Are you positive you found the right power adapter? I have like 50 of them all around the same voltage, but only one or two really work with most devices.
Too futurist to live.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:26 pm

It says 9-12V on the machine so I'm guessing it will work with quite a few. The SH-101 also says 9-12V so I used the SH's 9V plug...

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:31 pm

The back of the RX-17 should also have a wattage or a current requirement, if your wall adapter can't provide enough current your drum machine won't turn on. It could be a number of other things as well, but I doubt it, most Yamaha music products are built like tanks. It takes a lot of abuse to stop one. This is also a good example of why I always try to test things before I buy them. Most places have a terrible return policy on used gear, if they have one at all.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Make sure the polarity of the power adapter is correct. Some devices have the tip as positive and the shell/ring as negative, while others are the opposite. If you use an adapater that's the opposite, the gear won't work, and may lead to the demise of said gear.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:55 pm

Yes, make sure you are outputting enough amperage. Too much is OK, the device will only use what it needs. Not enough could cause it to not come on, or come on then shut off, come on with no display, etc. It can also potentially stress components, so it's something of a no-no, especially long term.

If it's DC make sure the tip polarity is correct. The requirement should be indicated on the drum machine with a semi-circle and dot inside with a + or - indicator. The adapter should also indicate this. Some universal adapters allow you to change the tip polarity by pulling off the tip and turning it around. An indicator points to the chosen polarity.

Make sure it's not wanting AC voltage. There's a few instruments and things I've run across that want AC voltage. It may say "9V" on it but I know I used to never check to see if they want 9V AC or DC. Alesis stuff ofen wants AC. The FIZMO takes AC. Worth checking.

Good luck! If you can't get it to come on, open it up and look for obvious problems. might be something pretty simple.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:56 pm

I tried the Yamaha AN1x's 12V supply and yaaay! it works! Should have tried that of course before I started nagging about it.

Well... it sounds really nice. 12bit 80's heaven :D

Thanks for all the advice though guys!

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Sexor wrote:I tried the Yamaha AN1x's 12V supply and yaaay! it works!
Cool. Yeah, I think a lot of Yamaha gear has the +/- tip and ring reversed from what most other gear uses. I know my QY20 is like that (though I can't remember which is + and which is -). A quick Google search might tell you exactly what the original supply was.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:18 pm

Perhaps you should change the title of this thread to 'My worst thrift shop find ever became my best thrift shop find ever'. :wink:
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:01 pm

gfriden wrote:Perhaps you should change the title of this thread to 'My worst thrift shop find ever became my best thrift shop find ever'. :wink:
I might, but even though this whole thing went well it isn't my best find you see 8)

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:44 pm

Sexor wrote:it isn't my best find you see 8)
Do tell us about it! I love best bargain stories!
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:08 am

Sorry, but I think this is pretty typical:
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-17-DRUM-M ... dZViewItem

, but what ever. Just $50 anyway, right? So do thrift stores in amsterdam usually have a bunch of synth gear? wtf?
so what do I put down here now?

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:41 pm

I was walking around central Amsterdam today with some friends when we ran across a thrift shop and we decided "hey let's check it out".
You know, I've been to Amsterdam many times and I found the best "thrift" stores are the ones with the red lights. :lol: :P :lol:

P.S.

The coffee shop are pretty nice too!!! :wink:

Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 am

Tyler2000 wrote:Sorry, but I think this is pretty typical:
http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-RX-17-DRUM-M ... dZViewItem

, but what ever. Just $50 anyway, right? So do thrift stores in amsterdam usually have a bunch of synth gear? wtf?
Yeah! like I said it's not my best thrift store find anyways. I have seen nice stuff here in thrift stores, like a CS-20M but it was way overpriced, like 350 Euro (around 500 dollars).

Holland is a very nice place to get second hand synths though... nobody here uses Ebay, rather a kind of craigslist type site called "maarktplaats" (marketplace) on which I have bought most of my stuff for very nice prices :)

Sexor

Post by Sexor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:46 am

Pilot352 wrote:
I was walking around central Amsterdam today with some friends when we ran across a thrift shop and we decided "hey let's check it out".
You know, I've been to Amsterdam many times and I found the best "thrift" stores are the ones with the red lights. :lol: :P :lol:

P.S.

The coffee shop are pretty nice too!!! :wink:

Pilot
I'm sorry, I don't want to be rude but there is just so much more to Amsterdam than whores and weed.