Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Post by iProg » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:39 am

What synths make the haunting and lovely strings on this album?

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:09 pm

That would be the Roland RS-202 and Mellotron M400. Lovely indeed.

manticore101

Post by manticore101 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:15 pm

Yes, Tony Banks used the Roland RS-202 on recordings around 77-78. I think he often mixed the string machine and the Mellotron. "Blood on the rooftops" has some wonderful Mellotron arrangement. Also listen to the nice strings on "Many too many" from the "..and then there where three album". Mostly RS-202 I think.
Roland Juno-60, SH-2, SH-101, Juno 106, S-330, MKS-20, JV-2080, Moog Prodigy, Solina String Ensemble, Yamaha DX-7, EX-5, P-250, Cheetah MS-6, Novation Superbasstation, AKAI S-3000CD, Korg CX-3, Alesis ION.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:30 pm

The Tony Banks Wikipedia page lists the gear he used over the years (about a third of the way down the page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Banks_%28musician%29

Gilles
GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:31 pm

manticore101 wrote:Also listen to the nice strings on "Many too many" from the "..and then there where three album". Mostly RS-202 I think.
That's the RS-202 strings combined with the Mellotron on "Many too many". On this song Banks was also using other sounds from the RS-202, like the brass setting.

By this time Banks had aquired the Polymoog but I read that he wasn't too fond of its string imitations.

The Polymoog does the bendy strings on "Snowbound" though (also from "And then there were three").

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:45 pm

"Wind and Wuthering" is a fantastic disk, one of my all time faves. "All in a Mouse's Night" just couldn't be better. Great stuff :D
even Siberia goes through the motions....

Slickie

Post by Slickie » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:37 pm

jim777 wrote:"Wind and Wuthering" is a fantastic disk, one of my all time faves. "All in a Mouse's Night" just couldn't be better. Great stuff :D
thats my favorite tune on that album as well.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:19 am

70s genesis is my all-time favorite band (w Yes and TD). this album surely amongst their best works. i always view it in pair with equally great Trick Of The Tail. this era holds a special place in my heart as its one of the first music i experienced when i was a 8yr kid, thru my older brother's records. so ive enjoyed these two albums for aprox 30 yrs. :roll::D

my fav track is "One For The Wine", a positively monumenthal song. also "All In a Mouse's Night" and "Eleventh Earl Of Mar". sometimes i play "Blood On The Rooftops" on the piano, just to relax.. "The trouble was started, by young Eroll Flynn.." :D

beside the mentioned string machines, there's (standard) Tony's ARP2600, ProSoloist, and acoustic piano on that album too.

Micke, on the intro and grand finale, to "All In a Mouse's Night" do you happen to know exactly is is 202 or Polymoog ? or a layer of the two.. sounds a lot like polymoog to me, but im not sure..

and while were at it, do you have some interesting pictures from this 1976 period, either studio or live ? :D :wink:

thanks

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 am

And since we're on the topic... there's a solo on Eleventh Earl of Mar, in between the second verse and the quiet middle section, that doesn't sound like anything else on the album. Is it a guitar synth?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:16 am

clusterchord wrote:my fav track is "One For The Wine", a positively monumenthal song. also "All In a Mouse's Night" and "Eleventh Earl Of Mar". sometimes i play "Blood On The Rooftops" on the piano, just to relax..
My fave on that record is also One For The Vine. That's the one I still play on the piano.

dB
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:12 pm

clusterchord wrote:Micke, on the intro and grand finale, to "All In a Mouse's Night" do you happen to know exactly is is 202 or Polymoog ? or a layer of the two.. sounds a lot like polymoog to me, but im not sure..
All In a Mouse's Night is all RS-202. Don't think he had the Polymoog then. To get this sound you have both strings I & II switched on together and the ensemble set to the second position (which is slower than the first position and gives a kind of church-organy like sound).

This same sound can also be heard in One For The Vine at the "Follow Me..." part. The live footage of Tony playing this song on the Duke Tour shows him playing the part on an ARP Quadra pipe organ sound which is much harsher than the RS-202 sound on the album.

I think the RS-202 was also put through a phaser for other parts on W&W but I can't think of any examples off the top of my head.

Another RS-202 highlight for me though is the intro to the And Then There Were Three album, Down and Out. This is Strings I with the ensemble set to position I (the faster setting). After the intro, the RS-202 is switched to the church organ like sound (as above), and layered with Tony's Hammond organ for much of the rest of the song. This creates a very dense sound and a rather dark atmosphere, with help from lots of Space Echo no doubt. Love it! Down and out live in 78 was played on the Polymoog, as Tony never toured with the 202.

For a long time I wondered what synth was making the sounds on both these albums too, and was amazed when I found out it was a simple string machine. The RS-202 became my first polyphonic vintage synth and I love the thing. :D

etcetera

Post by etcetera » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:26 pm

And since we're on the topic... there's a solo on Eleventh Earl of Mar, in between the second verse and the quiet middle section, that doesn't sound like anything else on the album. Is it a guitar synth?
I think it's a Roland GS-500 guitar synth. That was a model made before the blue GR-300 guitar synth. It's a synth module on a stand with a Les Paul-like guitar, and I know Mike Rutherford used that model.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 pm

Genesis never toured with the RS-202 but Camel sure did:

Camel, live in concert Sep 1977

On earlier Camel albums Peter Bardens used a Freeman string symphonizer. He replaced it with the RS-202 around early 1977.

Another RS-202 user was Nick Magnus of Steve Hackett band. He used it on "Spectral Mornings" and on the first tour - but not for strings (which he never thought it was very good at). For strings and churchy organ sounds he preferred his modified Vox String thing (occasionally layered with Novatron). Listen for the accordion-type sound on the song "Tigermoth" (from the '79 album "Spectral Mornings), that's the RS-202.

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

liquidzen

Post by liquidzen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:27 pm

I am a CLASSIC Genesis fan (70-80's) My favorite album is And Then There Were Three but also love Wind & Wuthering. Does anyone feel the same as I do on the overall tone (EQ) on the both albums... The low end os totally non existant!!!!! the upper mids and High bands are totally boosted. I had to "RE-Master" those for my own listening enjoyment.
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK

KB Crockett

Post by KB Crockett » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Micke wrote:Genesis never toured with the RS-202 but Camel sure did:

Camel, live in concert Sep 1977

On earlier Camel albums Peter Bardens used a Freeman string symphonizer. He replaced it with the RS-202 around early 1977.

Another RS-202 user was Nick Magnus of Steve Hackett band. He used it on "Spectral Mornings" and on the first tour - but not for strings (which he never thought it was very good at). For strings and churchy organ sounds he preferred his modified Vox String thing (occasionally layered with Novatron). Listen for the accordion-type sound on the song "Tigermoth" (from the '79 album "Spectral Mornings), that's the RS-202.

Micke
Excellent videos Micke! I knew that Camel used an RS-202 but I've not been familiar with any of their music... until now. Must check out some of their albums.

I am familiar with Nick Magnus however as I've bumped into him a few times, but I don't think we've ever spoken about the RS-202. So many synths, too little time...

One other thought on the RS-202 is that even with the slow attack switched on, the attack is not very slow! I wondered if my RS-202 was faulty in some way as I couldn't work out how Banks had played the intro to Down and Out, until I realised he was "strumming" the notes to make the start of each chord less abrupt. This is a very useful playing technique to learn for the RS-202. For a really slow attack, you would need to use a volume pedal to fade in the notes or use the volume control on the panel, as Peter is in the Camel videos I think.