Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby KB Crockett » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Micke wrote:KB Crockett: Are you really sure that Tony Banks used a Quadra and P5 on "Duke" (rec. at the end of 1979)?

I'm asking because according that gear site linked to above he used them for the first time in the studio on the next album Abacab (1981). However, I know that he did use both synths during the 1980 tour though so maybe you're right after all.

The same site also mentions that "For those fast horn-type sounds (on Duke), they put the CS80 through a 'duck' which enabled Phil and Tony to trigger sounds with the mouth"

And according to Wikipedia: "The CS80 was used on the album as well as the CP-70 piano. Banks used the Prophet 5 and Quadra on just a few [i]occasions for the album. The Quadra especially was used as a polysynth and lead synth on the Duke tour. The Prophet 5 was used more for string-like sounds as well as the flutes on Duke's Travels (last bars before Duke's End kicks in) and Cul-De-Sac."[/i]

Micke

Hi Micke, I don't know for sure that a Quadra and P5 was used on Duke, I'm only using my ears, and what I think I'm hearing is Quadra and Prophet. Both CS-80 and Quadra sounds (especially brass) are quite distinctive, and the CS-80 sound is very obvious on Tony's solo album A Curious Feeling (recorded just before Duke), but not to me on Duke. Like I say though, I don't know for sure so I could be completely wrong.

Just found this page with a quote from Tony about the Duck:

http://home.att.net/~los.endos/genesis/faq/faq.htm

5.62 - What is the Duck on Duke?

"Uhm, It was this kind of, it was an attempt..it was a way of triggering...this was back in the early days, you know, before technology could sort of give you all the things you wanted. It was a way of triggering the, I think it was a Yamaha CS-80 synthesizer. We triggered it using Phil's voice. But he used it, instead of --- this was trying to get a sort of brass sound on a couple of tracks, particularly Behind The Lines --- and the way of doing it was using a duck-call. You know, one of those duck-call things you can get. We used that into the microphone, and it got just the right kind of sound, so that we put it down that we played a 'duck'. We hoped a few people would ask a question about it --- you're the first person I think since the album was released who's asked us about that! So there you go." - tony banks.
KB Crockett

Postby iProg » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:19 pm

The distored semi-brassy electric piano on Turn It On Again from Duke, is that the CP-70?
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Postby Micke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Crockett, I had a listen to Duke again and I do believe you're right in that the Quadra and P5 feature quite prominently on there, moreso than the CS-80 it seems.

And yes, the CS-80 sound is indeed very obvious on "A Curious Feeling". I guess it's the first album where Tony used one.

As for the Duck; not sure I know what sort of brass sound on "Behind The Lines" he's referring to though.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Micke » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:10 pm

iProg wrote:The distored semi-brassy electric piano on Turn It On Again from Duke, is that the CP-70?

It sounds like the CP-70 doubled with a polysynth

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby clusterchord » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:42 am

Micke wrote:And yes, the CS-80 sound is indeed very obvious on "A Curious Feeling". I guess it's the first album where Tony used one.

:idea: :idea: :idea: sht, yeah it makes sense now. i got that record early on, one of my first ones.. and thats why it sounded so different synth-wise from everything else genesis-related done before. i remember those huge washes of sound. enormous sounding ensemble type pads/stirngs etc..so dens you couldnt stuck a needle in that production.

gotta ge that record again. it has many beautiufl songs, al par with best of his songwriting work in Genesis. i only wish they got sang by Phil or Peter at some point.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc
clusterchord

Band: Nimbus Dei

Postby iProg » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:42 pm

The best Genesis member solo album is Steve Hackett's album Spectral Mornings from 1979. I know it's been mentioned recently on the board so I decided to give it a spin a few days ago. Fantastic work and lots of good synth licks. This album is how Genesis would have sounded if they had recorded an album that year with Steve on board.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Postby langmick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:44 pm

Hackett in 1979 live

It's been posted before, but still pretty cool.
langmick

Postby nomen_luni » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm

gcoudert wrote:The Tony Banks Wikipedia page lists the gear he used over the years (about a third of the way down the page):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Banks_%28musician%29

Gilles

fantastic, thanks for sharing :)
nomen_luni

Re: Genesis - Wind and Wuthering

Postby iProg » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:41 am

Has anyone played W&W during this fall? Typical autumn music for me...
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby spookyman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:18 pm

You're right. It's the perfect album for this autumn...bring back some memories, very emotional music.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby Bitexion » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:34 am

I'm more into Trick of the Tail and Selling England by the Pound. My fave early album is the 1977 live album Seconds Out. It has very powerful arrangements of their best old songs like Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth, that sound much better live than the softer versions on the album.

Anyone seen the superb cover band The Musical Box btw?
They recreate the 70's genesis shows down to exact lighting, instruments and costumes, and they sound amazing.
The vocalist is spot on Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel (who were quite similar voice-wise anyway). I saw them live in Oslo a couple months ago, they belted through the trademark songs like firth of fifth and Cinema Show flawlessly.
Tony Banks says he's seen TMB several times, and thinks they play those old songs better than the band themselves did in the 70's.
This tour was a recreation of the Trick of the Tail tour, they played for 2,5 hours. Only the keyboardist used a real piano instead of the ropey RMI el-piano Banks used at the time.
But they've done Lamb Lies down on Broadway and Selling... tours earlier. And the lead singer/drummer has even learned to play drums left-handed, since Phil Collins plays left-handed. Was amazing to see him stand and sing, then run back to the drumset and play like a spider in unison with the other drummer, and back to the microphone again. He did it all the time when he didn't sing.

It's great to see a full "genesis" concert in 2008 without having to endure their 80's and 90's megahits.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Postby iProg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:06 am

The Musical Box is fantastic! The singer Denis Sagne is truly a talent. He also came on stage with IQ at thei last gig in Montreal to sing "Subterranea" with Peter Nicholls!
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby spookyman » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:34 am

Yes...i saw them in Zürich in 2006. It was simply amazing, musically.

The keyboarder had Mellotron M-400, a Hammond L-100 spinet with a Leslie 122 in the backstage, a ARP ProSoloist, and a Roland A-90 (but i'm not sure anymore...) to play the piano parts.

But also the other musicians were amazing, with a shergold guitar, Moog Taurus 1 Bass Pedal, etc...really dead on. And a great vintage PA with a very fat sound !

For me it was like a time machine...for a little bit more than 2 hours, a ticket back in 1974, and then come back in 2006. And the musician are really easy going, very nice.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.
spookyman

Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Postby steveman » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:50 am

Bitexion wrote:I'm more into Trick of the Tail and Selling England by the Pound. My fave early album is the 1977 live album Seconds Out. It has very powerful arrangements of their best old songs like Cinema Show and Firth of Fifth, that sound much better live than the softer versions on the album.

Seconds Out is my favourite, and the 1st album I got, still have my vinyl copy bought in '77. Excellent arrangements of their early stuff, and always preferred that version of Supper's Ready (sacrilege I know ;)) Initially I skipped over Supper's Ready but when a college friend wanted me to tape it and I suggested missing that out as the whole album wouldn't fit, well the look of horror on his face said it all. Little did he know what that would lead to...
Bitexion wrote:Anyone seen the superb cover band The Musical Box btw?
They recreate the 70's genesis shows down to exact lighting, instruments and costumes, and they sound amazing.
The vocalist is spot on Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel (who were quite similar voice-wise anyway). I saw them live in Oslo a couple months ago, they belted through the trademark songs like firth of fifth and Cinema Show flawlessly.
Tony Banks says he's seen TMB several times, and thinks they play those old songs better than the band themselves did in the 70's.
This tour was a recreation of the Trick of the Tail tour, they played for 2,5 hours. Only the keyboardist used a real piano instead of the ropey RMI el-piano Banks used at the time.
But they've done Lamb Lies down on Broadway and Selling... tours earlier. And the lead singer/drummer has even learned to play drums left-handed, since Phil Collins plays left-handed. Was amazing to see him stand and sing, then run back to the drumset and play like a spider in unison with the other drummer, and back to the microphone again. He did it all the time when he didn't sing.

Saw them doing the TOTT tour just 3 weeks ago, amazing stuff. A friend I went with said it was the best gig he'd ever been to (but then TOTT is his favourite album:)). Wasn't Denis Gagne as Collins, but the guy was superb - amazing drumming too. There's a clip on YouTube of Collins playing with them, and I read Gabriel took his kids to see them.
Saw them last year and the year before doing SEBTP, 2nd time around was the 'Black Show' which Genesis never toured in Europe. hearing and seeing those opening chords of Watcher of the Skies live had my hairs standing on end. I've a very old friend who missed them last year, I'll definitely get him along when they tour.
Bitexion wrote:It's great to see a full "genesis" concert in 2008 without having to endure their 80's and 90's megahits.

:D :!:
Interesting to compare though, saw Genesis at Twickenham last year, they can still cut it live.
steveman

Postby iProg » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:17 am

Has anyone seen the "When In Rome" DVD from the "Turn it on again tour"?
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers