kill my "GAS" conundrum/rant - Evolver MEK

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:11 am

I do want it for the full package (analog + digital) and love the sounds. I’m probably going to ruminate on it for a little while. Make sure there’s nothing that I will really miss before I give a synth up.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:52 am

gigging stopped me from buying other gear... why to buy more gear if i can't bring with me all the things i own yet?

(but i'm lusting for a wireless midi device for my AX-7 anyway XD)

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm

ReaPeR wrote:gigging stopped me from buying other gear... why to buy more gear if i can't bring with me all the things i own yet?

(but i'm lusting for a wireless midi device for my AX-7 anyway XD)
wireless midi? man I've been living under a rock
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:48 am

Well, I can't control it I really want to try out an MEK. So reluctantly I decided I'm going to let go of the Prophet 600. Very cool synth but the virus is more capable, flexible and can be more subtle. I think I would miss the virus significantly more.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:33 am

No single synth will EVER cure the GAS. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. The A6 was my "dream synth" for 2 years after I got the Ion. I thought that when I finally got that, I'd never need to want another synth because it has "everything"..well, look at my list now. Modulars and whatnot. Thousands of dollars.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm

I had a 20% off anything coupon at MF that I couldn't let expire, so I came to a similar conundrum - DEVO or MEK. On one hand, a $415 new DEVO was pretty hard to pass up, considering I wouldn't have to sell one of my existing synths to get it, but a $960 MEK was even more attractive, if more expensive and requiring a general culling of the gear herd. I was literally on the phone placing the order for the DEVO when I switched gears and went with the MEK. I'm not sure exactly why, but now I'm sure I made the right decision - the MEK interface really IS exactly what I've been looking for out of a synth for a long time, and the sound is incredible and unique. A PEK, of course, would be an embarassment of riches, but would require embarrassing amounts of riches to buy.

I can't give you any comparisons to the DEVO's matrix structure as I've never played one of those, but it's hard for me to understand exacty which of your existing synths to get rid of in favor of the MEK. I've also got a Prophet 600 that is not going to be sold soon, and I know the LP is amazing, so I guess I'd default to the Virus, which I generally think are overpriced compared with other VAs. (*flame suit on*)

Then again, I came across a fairly cheap A6 last week and bought it. I'm now planning to sell most every other synth-related piece of gear I have to make up the difference. *sigh* GAS goes on and on. I really don't have room for a modular, so this HAS to be the end of the road at least for awhile.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 am

I don't so much have the desire to accumulate things as I do to get better items and try stuff out. I've learned a lot about synthesis and what works for me just by cycling through various gear. I'd much rather have a few really nice synths than a whole bunch of mediocre ones but that's what works for me. I'm content with 2 or 3 synths.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:20 pm

I've "evolved" over time into either having full analog or full digital--no more A/D hybrids. sometimes U just have to get things to see if they're a good fit and, if they are not, know when to sell so U dont take a big hit.

Plus, GAS-wise, you pure synthesists have it good: imagine also having guitar/bass GAS, especially for pricey and hard-to-get items like some Rics and 10-top PRSs. Those of you that also indulge in the world of strings and pickups know EXACTLY what Im talking about. :shock:

Never been a big fan of Viruses and Nords (save for the g1 modular.) for some reason, Supernova IIs seem to be it for me, but then that's me.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:15 pm

sequence wrote:synthesists have it good: imagine also having guitar/bass GAS, especially for pricey and hard-to-get items like some Rics and 10-top PRSs.
I really feel sorry for classical players for whom even student level instruments are thousands of dollars.

The bow for my string bass cost me as much as my Radias did :?

I recall the day my repairman introduced me to a local jazz/classical guy with two string basses, one was valued at $65K and the other at $85K. Not only that, he took them out on gigs. :shock:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 pm

sequence wrote:I've "evolved" over time into either having full analog or full digital--no more A/D hybrids. sometimes U just have to get things to see if they're a good fit and, if they are not, know when to sell so U dont take a big hit.

Plus, GAS-wise, you pure synthesists have it good: imagine also having guitar/bass GAS, especially for pricey and hard-to-get items like some Rics and 10-top PRSs. Those of you that also indulge in the world of strings and pickups know EXACTLY what Im talking about. :shock:

Never been a big fan of Viruses and Nords (save for the g1 modular.) for some reason, Supernova IIs seem to be it for me, but then that's me.
I think taste in synthesizers is very subjective. Granted, price and general opinions might give you a feel for the general attitudes but there is a lot of difference of opinions on what is a good synth.

Guitarists and their collections amaze me sometimes...

angelometz
No Longer Registered

Post by angelometz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:52 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
sequence wrote:synthesists have it good: imagine also having guitar/bass GAS, especially for pricey and hard-to-get items like some Rics and 10-top PRSs.
I really feel sorry for classical players for whom even student level instruments are thousands of dollars.

The bow for my string bass cost me as much as my Radias did :?

I recall the day my repairman introduced me to a local jazz/classical guy with two string basses, one was valued at $65K and the other at $85K. Not only that, he took them out on gigs. :shock:
I'm afflicted by serious GAS! I'm a guitar player by trade, classical, jazz, or whatever. Classical instruments are absurdly expensive. Guitars too, vintage or not. I think this explains my synthesizers GAS! But the thing that aggravates me the most is the fact that you have to take thousands of dollars in gear to a gig, and end up making 75 bucks. And these are people who are at the top in their chairs. Jazz cats in NY and all around the world do that every day. And $75 are the good gigs, ehe. It's hard to cope. So... On the other hand you can call it GAT! Gear Aquired Therapy.
Get a piece of gear and for awhile you get peace of mind from it! Then it comes back, you get something else. I also find that getting new intruments promote more actual playing for pleasure, wich is really good. Good luck with your purchase! Right now my GAS is demanding a Minimoog and a DOTCOM!!!! AAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Can't wait til it switches to GAT!!!!