Ion discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:47 am

At least the Andromeda has the normal up/down/up+down patterns in the arp..AND a step sequencer.

I also find the Ion unison mode rather lacking. It doesn't sound "big" enough compared to real analog unison, even with the same amount of voices. But I guess you can't compare a VA to a huge analog polysynth anyway.
Last edited by Bitexion on Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:48 am

Bitexion wrote:The only arp pattern I ever use is ant march on 2 steps. Then it's pretty close to standard up and down pattern, at least no jiggy rythm going.
This is true - the march pattern is pretty usable and there are a few others that aren't too bad but the arp could have been a lot better.

You know I'm sure Alesis could have corrected it with a firmware update but I guess nobody complained enough or they couldn't be bothered/were concentrating on their other products.

Still as it stands it's just a tiny thorn in the side of the ION. A c**p arp is better than no arp at all I guess...and with the availability of decent MIDI arpeggatiors it doesn't really matter that much to be honest.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:50 am

Oh we were quite a vocal group in the ion yahoo groups when it was still active many years ago. We wanted the choice of having the knobs to send MIDI CC codes, and we got that in the last released update. Only the programmer botched it so most of the knobs output 14-114 value instead of 0-127, making it useless to control softsynths with afterall. And that was never fixed.

I even won myself two very expensive Alesis speakers in a sound design compo for the Ion. Don't know what crappy kind of speakers I'd had today if that never happened. Those speakers cost more than the Ion itself.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:52 am

Bitexion wrote:I also find the Ion unison mode rather lacking. It doesn't sound "big" enough compared to real analog unison, even with the same amount of voices. But I guess you can't compare a VA to a huge analog polysynth anyway.
I found that with the IONs unison mode you had to be careful the detune setting. Too much and it sounded like a phasey mess.

It does have its uses though so I'm glad they included it.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 am

Yeah, with a small amount of detune it sounds nice. But it doesn't get that heavy, gritty sound with no detune that the Andromeda does. But again, that is down to real VCO's fighting for space, can't blame that on the Ion :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 am

You could try setting the detune to 0 but cranking the VCO drift up a little. That might help.

Still, when you have an Andromeda...;)

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 am

The Andromeda and ION are two very different sounding synths. I find that they complement one another quite well.

WD

P.S. Yep, Alesis got the arp and seq correct on the Andromeda.
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:41 am

WDW wrote:The absence of standard patterns is curious.

WD
And irritating. The arpeggiator is one section of the Ion that's a total disappointment.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:50 am

I felt really stupid when I first got my ION. For the life of me, I could not figure out where the "standard" arp patterns were. I simply assumed that any synth touted as *the* VA that replicated the classics would have included a classic arp. Proves one cannot make assumptions.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios