Ion discontinued

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:25 pm

"IMO - they pretty much got it right the first time."

Agreed... the polyphony never bothered me mostly because it's not my only synth... if it were it's might be an issue. The angled display however would be epic. The Ion is a great board and i probably at this point, use it more than any of my other synths.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm

The Ion is a beautiful thing. It's like a modular synth in a box. You can draw up connections in the mod matrix just like you'd draw up patch cables on a modular. Except that most modulars don't include 14 filter types :)
Also, it gives you all those classic analogue sounds and possibilities on a brand new board so you don't have to worry about changing the battery or leaky capacitors ruining the circuit boards.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:03 pm

It's true.. having (imho) mastered vintage emulation so well it'd be sad to not see the same engine with tweaks be put into new boxes.. not to mention continued return on initial r&d costs.

I love my micron :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Well, the Ion is basically implemented into the Fusion series, and that's Alesis' only priority nowadays. So you could say it's lived on.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:54 pm

for starters, Im glad they're still making Andromeda 8) i hope to pick another one up towards the end of its run, to have a brand new unit. for several reasons blah..

as for Ion, i always viewed its capabilities and loads of filter types .. as nice paper spec. i mean, when i played it, atop A6, it sounded nothing like the real thing. ok i didnt expect it to. but more importantly, even within trademark VA sounds realm, i disliked its somewhat plasticky character in comparison to Nords, that also feature digital sheen and indeed are less accurate as far as emulation goes, but their character is much more musical/healthy to me.

anyway, i think Alesis did a good solid run with Ion. who knows maybe somehting new is in the works, but im not sure what type of instrument its gonna be. VA heyday is kinda gone, and their "synthesis package" angle wiht Fusions didnt go to well at original pricing. maybe a fusion style instr wihtout the hd and converter stuff, only desktop with more knobs.. htat'd be nice..

always think how they missed the chance with possible Andromeda technology off-springs.. if there werent for that dreadful change of ownership in early 2000s, we could have had A6 racks and desktops by now.. standalone filters.. whole product line was possible. dunno why they dont venture into this, at least on a smaller scale.. i mean ASIC are still being made obviously..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:35 pm

If I remember correctly, the Micron (and possibly the Ion) were both introduced at the Summer NAMM show, so perhaps this July we'll see something? I don't know anyone at Alesis anymore, so I can't bug anyone to see, but I'm hopeful!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

I always wanted to buy an Ion but didn't had the money for it and settled twice on used Microns instead. I played an Ion twice (30 minutes at a Guitar Center and a couple of hours with one on loan from a friend) and I never felt like all the additional knobs and such really added much to it, like the whole design wasn't implemented properly. Out of all the VA synths I've owned (Darkstar XP2, A-Station, MicroKorg, Micron) the Ion/Micron engine was by far my favorite. But I sold the last Micron in favor of replacing it with a good controller for my laptop plus a handful of good VST's and haven't really looked back. I do hope that Alesis brings out new products with that synth engine though.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:42 pm

I have been considering buying an Ion, but I could never understand Alesis's reasoning for selling two internally-(almost)-identical synths in different form factors at different price points.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:54 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:I have been considering buying an Ion, but I could never understand Alesis's reasoning for selling two internally-(almost)-identical synths in different form factors at different price points.
uhh, really? Or is that a joke? Most of the industry does it.. look at roland and korg..

Antonino

Post by Antonino » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:02 pm

the ION was one of the first synths I wanted to buy.. in the end i didn't, but if I had the money i would buy it straight away.. apart from its great sound, i always loved its clean layout.. I hope its price won't raise too much now that it's discontinued
Last edited by Antonino on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardware:Alpha Juno 2/microKORG/MS-404/Performer/S-330/Dr-550 mkII/DRP-2/PC-200/LPK25/MC-50/Console RMX/FA-101/M4400/SR1259IT---Software:Reaper/Ableton Live/Too many free VSTs---Owned:D-20/nanoKEY---Coming Soon:D110/FM7---Dreams:Fizmo

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm

I guess that's true... The Fantom x6, x7 and x8 are all basically the same, same for the various sizes of Tritons and Motifs.

I guess it just seemed odd to sell the same affordable synth at a more affordable price point -- at what, a 30% savings? Considering the margin they must have on the Micron, the Ion must have had a h**l of a margin.

On the other hand, when I think about it, it's the more expensive model that I'm interested, so maybe there's some logic there...

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:45 pm

I'd love to see alesis do a PPG style wavetable synth...

That's probably wishful thinking though. Something about it's filter character seemed like it would get along nicely with more complex methods of tone generation that just straight analog waveforms.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:49 pm

Analog Freak wrote:I suppose the Ion just wasn't selling enough to turn a profit and the Micron was. It's still pretty strange, because the two synthesizers are almost identical in terms of what's under the hood.
$200 cheaper, a sequencer, FX and a smaller package are a big deal to a certain market segment.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

felis

Post by felis » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 pm

I find the Micon's knobs/controls to be sufficient for playing it.
Where all the extra knobs of the Ion make a big difference is when you're editing/creating new sounds.
It goes much faster on the Ion. Everything can be done on the Micron - but it's quite a bit slower.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:42 pm

i like the Ion a lot. i was considering selling mine a couple weeks ago, but i changed my mind after doing the final "play with it and make sure you wanna sell it" thing. i might have to look elsewhere to downsize my studio.