State of Current Fantom-X?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sequence

State of Current Fantom-X?

Post by sequence » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:54 pm

did anyone go to, or know anyone else, that attended NAMM 2008? Id heard thru multiple grapevines that the current Roland Fantom X was on its way out, to be replaced by yet another WS (with V-synth capabilities?), but I cannot seem to locate any info that would support this. thanks
Last edited by sequence on Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 pm

Fantom G is coming.

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Not to go too off topic, but is it just me or are all of the romplerstations becoming very OASYS looking?
even Siberia goes through the motions....

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: State of Current Fantom-X?

Post by Syn303 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:57 pm

sequence wrote:Id heard thru multiple grapevines that the current Roland Fantom X was on its way out, to be replaced by yet another WS (with V-synth cpabilities?), but I cannot seem to locate any info that would support this. thanks
The Fantom-G workstation is replacing the Fantom-X series and Roland's new expansion boards are called ARX now, 3 ARX boards have been released so far - 1) ARX-01: SuperNATURAL Drums 2) ARX-02: SuperNATURAL Electric Piano's 3) ARX-03: SuperNatural Organs

And yes they are getting more OASYS like with that superwide colour screen.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:57 pm

It's just that large color LCDs are coming down in price.

Korg is still the only one with an actual touchscreen.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Sweet. Maybe we'll see some serious price reductions in the X series.

Also, I wonder if there's going to be a Fantom-G rack that'll be a little more substantial than the X-R? I tried one of those one time and while the sounds were killer, there was just waaaay to much deep menu diving
twentyfirst century fizMO man

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:19 pm

Syn303 wrote:ARX-03: SuperNatural Organs
is this real? any direct link for it, coz I can't find it anywhere. It'd be very interesting to the Roland next gen VK on a card. those 8 sliders on the G is going to be more usefull with it.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:09 am

No there's no offical ARX-03 Organs,It was mentioned over at Fantomized forum,people listing what they would like to see for next exspansion,If there smart they would make an analog series there next priority,followed by strings,they already wasted a board with Electric piano's, I saw a new demo for it,nothing special.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:05 am

Mr. Black wrote:an analog series there next priority,followed by strings
those would also be more preferable to me, perhaps with some twist from the Omnisphere thunder.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:40 am

I don't think Eric Persing has any present involvement in Roland at all,The last product he was around for was the V synth,and even then all his time and resources where going into developement for "Spectrasonics". He would just give the okay if it sounded alright,(Kinda like what a head Chef does), where he takes a taste, tells you what it needs or if it's s**t!! start over.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:06 am

it might not need to really bother Eric, just a repeating co-operation between Spectrasonics and Roland as with their several earlier expansion boards. It's just something like the ARX version of the SR-JV80-15 Special FX board.

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:37 am

Hey I think it would be pretty cool!! but Roland would probably have to pay up big time, Spectrasonics is a much more capable company then it was quite a few year's ago and will remain in demand,what would be offered in an Omnisphere type exspansion board, would probably pale in comparison to the real thing.You considering a Fantom G there Crystalmsc?Have to hear if it sounds signifigintly improved over Fantom X.Could unload some of your gear there if you wanted, of course you have a few gem's listed, and you probably got some personal fav's in there as well.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:20 am

Mr. Black wrote:You considering a Fantom G there Crystalmsc?Have to hear if it sounds signifigintly improved over Fantom X.
exactly, I've been waiting for the real successor of the JD for too long. But it must be really sounding better than the X. I have no confidence that I will like the sound of the G, since I have some problems with newer 24/96 stuffs. But let's see..it if sounds better and supported by some interesting ARX board, I prolly get it mainly for it's all in one package and a super hardware sampler. errgh, forget the ARX..if it ain't sounding good, I'm leaning more into the ASR-X pro :wink: hopefull the Turbo version which is very rare currently.
Mr. Black wrote:Could unload some of your gear there if you wanted, of course you have a few gem's listed, and you probably got some personal fav's in there as well.
no, all the babies are likely stay. the plan to get the G is for some kind of a true self contained sampling workstation, that I would like to work with just that alone and the damn mouse (with one or two analog processor like the Evolver or other), until a finished stereo two tracks, which could be not even in the studio. that's where it really shine in my case.