anyone tried CLAVIA. NORDWAVE yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
dxl

anyone tried CLAVIA. NORDWAVE yet?

Post by dxl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:51 pm

i played it in store with headphone last nite
i was like... wow
still have that nord crystal clear sound, but with fatness
reverb is very smooth and other effect are also really cool
the attack on this synth seems to be ultra fast and punchy, or maybe its just the sample
and the filter is very smooth

totally fatter sounding than nord lead2 and 3
and patches are very uptodat sounding!!

the keyboard feel better than nord lead2 and 3 in the store

but .... priced .... 2600 CAD....
i would still get a TI first
http://www.myspace.com/dxlin
Roland XV3080/worldEXP, Yamaha MotifR ES/VL TG33 AN1x, Novation superNOVA Xiosynth25 RemoteSL, Casio CDP100, Korg MS2000R KARMA/moss , MicrowaveXT MicroQ, refex nexus, EWQ/NI, UAD-1/Powercore/Virus

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:34 pm

I'd really like to play it; the demos sound great. Mixing analog, wavetables, and samples makes for some really in-depth patches. i think it's awesome how you can start with a very real-sounding instrument sample and end up with something that sounds like a synth lead...but still sounds a little bit like the original instrument sample.

p.s. i like your music.
ion - dx7s - alpha juno 1 - k-station - piano forte (buy it)

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:59 pm

I'd really like to try it out as well. Although I only get analog synths, if I were to get digital stuff, the Nord stuff would be my first! And I really like your music too.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:07 pm

I tested it some time ago, so I don't recall everything about it. I have always been a fan of the Clavia synths and with this sampling it is just even more nice. Especially because they had chosen to put Mellotron samples into it.
The onboard effects are also just on the positive side.
The only thing I didn't like about it was it's memory system. It only has 2 slots compared to the 4 slots of the Lead series, and I didn't manage to figure out how to scroll through the patches. It seemed to have been stuck between a simple saw patch and a few Melotron patches. I guess there is a trick o enter the other locations, it was just not as obvoius as on the past Nords.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:38 am

if only the price is much lower, I would like to have a keyboard with such type of engine. and yes, four slots would be nicer, since the performance mode of the 2x is what I like most from the synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14 am

I bought one, and I am enjoying it, however I would like to point out some grievances.

There are not as many sound shaping tools as the NL3. Nor can you assign as any modulations and controls as the NL3, so the Wave is not going to replace the NL3 for me as I planned. Hence I will be keeping the 3 and the Wave, which is not what I wanted to happen, since I want LESS gear.
The FM and PM modulations aren't really that cool, and don't do a whole h**l of a lot to the waves. The sync layout on the Wave is stupid. It's controlled by the Oscillator 1 shape knob and is ONLY available on oscillator 1. That SUCKS. That means you can't sync to the waves, nor can you sync the oscillator 1 square wave and adjust the pulse width on that oscillator, because the goddamn shape knob is controlling the sync frequency!
Also, there is NO arpeggiator! That's a ridiculous feature to not include. There is no unison feature. WORSE... you CANNOT stack the oscillators using the chord button like you can on the NL3. That is one of my favorite features on the 3.

All in all, I like the wave, and it did indeed replace my JD-800 and my D-50 for me. (No bashing, I said for me.) I do not feel that it was worth the $2699. It should be considerably less. I'm really hoping that they add new features in future OS upgrades.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:50 am

The lack of unison and arp is quite a big minus and the stripped down numbers of slots, so it actually can't replace any of the Leads. I guess my thoughts about replacing my 2x with the Wave has just been spoiled. Still it just makes this one interesting as another synth.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:23 pm

drummy wrote: And I really like your music too.
+1 on that. I went and listened after this comment and was very pleased. Great stuff!
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:59 pm

Huppo wrote:
drummy wrote: And I really like your music too.
+1 on that. I went and listened after this comment and was very pleased. Great stuff!
not familiar with the synth at all, but
yes, I really like your music too!

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:08 pm

I played and tweaked it for 3 hours in the local music shop some months ago. It is a fantastic sounding synth. The sounds you can get out of this baby is totally amazing. Especially the pads. I would have bought one, but I don't really care for the layout of the interface.

I would prefer to have the display right in front of me, and the knobs and buttons centered. And I wish they could incorporate normal pitch and mod wheels instead.

Otherwise it is a great synth. :D

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:35 pm

maindeglorie wrote:D-50
agree, actually the reason that I'm interested with this synth because I view it as some kind of a modern D-50, but with a better interface, filter and sampling capability..and also, no arpegiator :wink: it's going to be a cool synth for a bunch of 8 bits samples.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:52 pm

i think the v synth stacks up better against it useable spec wise, including being able to work as a "modern d50" (h**l - i even have a d50 card for mine, so it can be a d50 if i want it to be), however if they ever incorporated their sampling capabilities into a nord modular g3 (and i doubt that will ever happen) i would seriously consider getting one.

on top of all of this, i wanted to add that i also really like your music dxl.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 am

demo'd one today. ehhh, waaay too pricey--I can think of many things at that pp id rather have, not necc synth-wise. :shock:

>buzz< Pass. (Now why do I wanna demo a Volvo XC70?) :shock:

Those of U who get one tho, enjoy! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:02 am

synapsecollapse wrote:i think the v synth stacks up better against it useable spec wise, including being able to work as a "modern d50" (h**l - i even have a d50 card for mine, so it can be a d50 if i want it to be), however if they ever incorporated their sampling capabilities into a nord modular g3 (and i doubt that will ever happen) i would seriously consider getting one.
I hear ya, I just hated the V-Synth though. In MY opinion, the V-Synth has a really weak and odd sound. It can do amazing things to audio, but no matter what I did, it still had that weird V-Synth audio color to it, and I hated that about it.

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:06 am

D-Collector wrote:And I wish they could incorporate normal pitch and mod wheels instead.
Really? As soon as I got my NL3 years ago, I started playing with the pitch stick, and became amazed from then on. You CANNOT bend notes on a wheel like you could on the pitch stick. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I hate pitch wheels now. I wish I could get that stick mounted on my Voyager. I also wish that companies would mount their pitch wheels horizontally, instead of vertically. I think you could rock out harder moving left to right instead of up and down. :D