anyone tried CLAVIA. NORDWAVE yet?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:29 am

maindeglorie wrote:I started playing with the pitch stick, and became amazed from then on.
that's the only thing I missed from both the Rack2x and G1 keyboard. It would be wonderful if the G1 key have that.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 am

maindeglorie wrote:
D-Collector wrote:And I wish they could incorporate normal pitch and mod wheels instead.
Really? As soon as I got my NL3 years ago, I started playing with the pitch stick, and became amazed from then on. You CANNOT bend notes on a wheel like you could on the pitch stick. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I hate pitch wheels now. I wish I could get that stick mounted on my Voyager. I also wish that companies would mount their pitch wheels horizontally, instead of vertically. I think you could rock out harder moving left to right instead of up and down. :D
Yeah I think thats my favorite thing about the nord.

Its a shame its f**k patented though, I'd love to see it on some other synths.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:11 am

I'd love to buy a nord controller
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:25 am

tyrannosaurus mark wrote:I'd love to buy a nord controller
:shock:

Why haven't they done that? USB, weighted keys, faders and the pitch stick!

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:29 am

Joey wrote:Yeah I think thats my favorite thing about the nord.

Its a shame its f**k patented though, I'd love to see it on some other synths.
I agree. I'm not that crazy about Nords, but the pitch sticks are very cool. I would love to see them license it to other companies.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:01 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
D-Collector wrote:And I wish they could incorporate normal pitch and mod wheels instead.
Really? As soon as I got my NL3 years ago, I started playing with the pitch stick, and became amazed from then on. You CANNOT bend notes on a wheel like you could on the pitch stick. I'm almost embarrassed to say that I hate pitch wheels now. I wish I could get that stick mounted on my Voyager. I also wish that companies would mount their pitch wheels horizontally, instead of vertically. I think you could rock out harder moving left to right instead of up and down. :D
Indeed the picthstick give it a different touch, as you can bend the sound like the strings on a guitar which makes it easy to give the sound a better twist of life.
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:19 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
Well, either wheels or a Roland type pitch/mod stick. I can't stand that wooden thingy on the Nord.

Btw, the Nord modular G2X has horizontal wheels doesn't it?

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:14 pm

I haven't been impressed with any of the audio demos of the Wave. Nothing jumped out at me as being sonically new or innovative.
The concept sounds wonderful but it seems they didn't finish it.

The Nord series is IMO one red sexy beautiful piece of equipment but I think anyone looking at the nord wave could save their money and buy a new 2X and have just as much fun.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:36 pm

seamonkey wrote:I haven't been impressed with any of the audio demos of the Wave. Nothing jumped out at me as being sonically new or innovative.
The concept sounds wonderful but it seems they didn't finish it.

The Nord series is IMO one red sexy beautiful piece of equipment but I think anyone looking at the nord wave could save their money and buy a new 2X and have just as much fun.
You're correct about the demos. They're s**t.

But you cannot do on a 2X what you can do on a Wave. The 2X is missing FM, waves, FX and the main feature... user definable samples! Think about importing any sample you want, any noise you grab and being able to use it as an oscillator on the Nord. Now you're getting it. :wink:

The Wave is priced rather high in my opinion though.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:26 pm

maindeglorie wrote:The Wave is priced rather high in my opinion though.
Yeah one could score a brand new Andromeda for (close) to what Clavia is asking for Wave.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

felis

Post by felis » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:24 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
....I also wish that companies would mount their pitch wheels horizontally, instead of vertically. I think you could rock out harder moving left to right instead of up and down. :D

If you haven't tried them, you'd probably like the sliders and wheel on the Micron.

And the ribbons on the A6 and Kurzweil's are great. I like the Nords pitch stick a lot - it feels just right, as soon as you get used to it.

I also think the Wave is a bit overpriced for what it is. I was hoping to see it come in at a lot less. :(

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 pm

I will probably try to pick one up eventually on the used market.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Must say...if it ain't analogue then that price is a joke. You could buy a new V-Synth GT or a second hand PEK with that kind of moola!

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:12 am

felis wrote: If you haven't tried them, you'd probably like the sliders and wheel on the Micron.

And the ribbons on the A6 and Kurzweil's are great. I like the Nords pitch stick a lot - it feels just right, as soon as you get used to it.

I also think the Wave is a bit overpriced for what it is. I was hoping to see it come in at a lot less. :(
Never tried the Micron, cause it's too tiny for me, but I sure did notice the sliders and thought it was great.

The ribbon on my Andromeda WAS great until it started f**k up on me, but at least I got my ghost parameter fixed, so I can live without the ribbon.

The Wave is absolutely overpriced. Clavia seems to think that they are Access, and they definitely are not. I could see the Wave costing as much as the TI if the build quality was anywhere near the TI, but it's not even close. I was amazed by the build, keys and weight of the TI. Now that's an instrument! Too bad I hate the Virus sound, sounds like the Q, and I hated that too. (keep your flames to yourself! :) )

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:42 am

It could pull a radias and drop substantially in price if they are not selling well.