Synths that should be more popular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 pm

Ion, yeah the Ion. We could use more synths with 2 mod wheels.
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Has someone brought up the Elektron SidStation, yet?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

gs

Post by gs » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:59 pm

Analog Freak wrote:I think people are going to drag out the pitchforks and torches, but the Korg DSS-1 is one seriously underrated synthesizer. It might not have the deepest engine, but it's certainly comparable to many of the classic analog polysynths (CS-80, OB-Xa, Trident, Jupiter, etc.) and as far as I'm concerned, it has about 95% of the sound of those machines. In fact, it has a few tricks that the old guard can't match, like the wild digital delays, sample sync, and bitcrushing. Add to that the fact that you can use anything as samples, and it's an absolute crime that these go for less than $200 dollars. The moog-esque filters are the icing on the cake.
No pitchforks and torches from me. 8) I agree with everything you said. The DSS1 certainly sounds like a huge and powerful polysynth, digital waveforms notwithstanding. I use it for nearly all my synth-brass, analog strings, 'moog' style leads, and PPG-esque basses. It easily stands on-par with my JX10 for sheer analog pad heaven. A different sound of course (sort of like comparing the sound of a PolySix to a Juno) but equally as impressive.

So if the price is cheap, I say good. That's not a crime at all, that's the way it should be. Let it remain cheap. I got my DSS1 for $200 and my JX10 for $220 and between the two, I have all my polysynth needs met.

I don't think the price will rise on this one, with the lack of knobs and having to load up your patchbank from a floppy each time you turn it on. These are the things that keep this one from selling for much more. It's a true darkhorse of the synth world.

In fact, several of those other 12-bit samplers with analog filters (Prophet 2000, EmaxI) are great sleepers as well - they make excellent polysynths on the cheap and actually sound bigger and much more powerful than budget synths like JX3P or Poly61. The Korg however (IMO) has the thickest, moogiest sound of the 3.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

sepiakeys
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Hardware Synthesizers and Guitar Effects
Band: There will be Lions

Post by sepiakeys » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:38 pm

Yes, the Korg DSS-1! (got it for 150 Swiss Francs).

I think the Yamaha AN-200 (resp. the PLG-150AN plug-in-board) should be mentioned here as well (think of its four freely drawable and assignable EGs with tap-tempo).
Good programming is worth more than the most expensive synthesizer.

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Re: Synths that should be more popular

Post by Neonlights84 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:This thread is dedicated to all those synths that are not really popular but in your opinion should be. This is an opinion based thread so please respect eachothers opinions. We can also discuss why certain synths are not popular.

ROLAND JUPITER-4: I know i don't shut up about this synth but its not at all popular compaired to its brothers and the Juno and JX synths. This really is a fantastic machine with one h**l of a meaty distinctive sound. It has some lovely features to offer. Amazing filter, super fast LFO, overdrive mode on VCA, arpeggiator, BIG unison modes. Maybe this synth is not popular because there is no CV interfacing. Is it because its really clunky compaired to the other Roland polysynths. Is it because it drifts out of tune? Minimoogs drift and everyone buys them. I belive that its worth buying the Jupe4 justfor the unison modes. Its possibly the fattest sounding synth Roland ever made and you can't beat its dry analogue power. I have played a JP-8 in unison and have yet to find a fatter sounding Roland.
AC...I for one, totally lust after a Jupiter 4. If someone offered me a Jupe 4 or 6, id take the 4 hands down. I might even take it over a 8 depending on my mood. The JP4 is cool cause i almost consider a mono synth with a nice poly section, far from the Korg Mono Poly's "poly" section.
It also helps that Vince Clarke and the Human League used this one regularly.

In terms of synths I think should be more popular, I am going to say the Yamaha monosynths..Namely the CS-5 thru CS40m...I once had a CS-15, and I miss it so...such a unique and wacky sounding filter, and one of the nicest square waves around...only thing i wish my cs15 had was a switchable 12/24 dB filter..and maybe osc sync..other than that, these things should be loved, but oh well...i hope they stay unloved long enough for me to get back into the CS family.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Re: Synths that should be more popular

Post by th0mas » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Neonlights84 wrote:only thing i wish my cs15 had was a switchable 12/24 dB filter

check the "Yamaha CS owners club" thread going on right now, there's a link to mods for CS-15 to do exactly that (if I skimmed it correctly)

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:22 pm

The Microkorg. :o

I joke times a hundred.

roboctopus
Gear: Juno 60, Moog Little Phatty SE II, Moog Prodigy (dead), Moogerfoogers: MF-101 & 102, Korg ER-1, guitars, banjos, basses, drums

Post by roboctopus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 pm

MrFrodo wrote:Has someone brought up the Elektron SidStation, yet?
The Sidstation is one of my dream synths. I am poor, though, and their price is on the rise...

I bought an old gameboy and LSDJ for crappy bit stuff, but it's just not the same. In fact, it's completely different. :wink:
That's the History Eraser Button.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:31 am

Always thought the Moog Source to be under appreciated.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:54 am

gd wrote:Always thought the Moog Source to be under appreciated.
It most certainly is. If the LP did not exist, you can bet i'd have a source instead. I actually find the Source to pretty much be the LP, just 25 years earlier. They both have a great sonic character, and get as close to the mini/voyager sound as I dare to get without breaking the bank.

Also, thanks for the cs15 filter tid bit. I heard something about that mod before, but alas, i no longer have the cs-15 in question.
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:08 pm

roboctopus wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:Has someone brought up the Elektron SidStation, yet?
The Sidstation is one of my dream synths. I am poor, though, and their price is on the rise...

I bought an old gameboy and LSDJ for crappy bit stuff, but it's just not the same. In fact, it's completely different. :wink:
(imho) The Midibox SID is superior to the SidStation in every way: especially sound, interface, and cost. http://www.midibox.org.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:09 am

The K-station. It has a superb interface, sounds pretty damn good imo, can do basic FM, and even has a vocoder. There is no way that it shouldn't be commanding a higher price than a Microkorg or a Micron. I won't complain though. I got mine in mint condition for a shade over $200 8)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:38 am

The Casio CZs (not the 101!) have a pretty poor rep.

Just picked up a CZ-3000 for little monies so I'll be checking it out when it arrives to see if there's anything to fuss about. :P

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

wang

Post by Jabberwalky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:52 am

Early Korg Synths, in particular the 1974 Univox Minikorg (also 700s, 800dv). Very unique sound, and seem kinda rare lately.

backindauk

Post by backindauk » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 am

Definately the Studio Electronics ATC-1/ATC-1x.

It's only a monosynth but it can do pretty much all the basses and leads you could imagine.

Plus it looks cool...