Synths that should be more popular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Feelsee

Re: 500th Post!

Post by Feelsee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:09 pm

ronP wrote:.

:)

p.s. This is my 500th post!!!
Happy post day!!
Kawai K5000s, FS1R, SY77, A5000, Powermac G5 2GHZ DP, Logic 7.2

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Siel Opera 6

It has those crazy smooth SSM filters( They have the nicest sounding self oscillation ever! ). You also get 2 LFO's, midi and a great knob per function interface. The only downside is the single envelope but I still love this synth.

The Casio CZ synth's( except the CZ-101 )

Unique sounding synths, I personally prefer PD over FM sounds.
Very easy to make spot on 80's basses and pads with them but the real fun is in making tripped out pads and noises with the 8 stage envelope :)
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:18 pm

Definitely the JX-3P - with the PG expansion it's got to be the equal of the Juno in terms of controls, though not necessarily of sound.

The ESQ-1 has a small but dedicated cult. I'd say for such a well-designed, unique, and recognizable synth to be available for such ridiculously low prices nowadays (sub $150), it pretty much meets the definition of a sleepr synth.

I'll throw in the Rhodes/ARP Chroma Polaris - features-wise it's superior to anyone's Juno or poly Korg, is all analog, has a decent control setup (yeah, it's membrane buttons, but at least you get several sliders instead of one poor little guy like on a Korg Poly 60, SixTrak, Matrix 6, etc.).

For romplers, it's really hard to beat the JV-1080 in terms of price ($200-300) and available sounds. The basic sound set is nicely varied, and the expansion cards (though not cheap) are good quality and contain a large number of samples. It's my go-to synth for things like realistic pianos, symponic sounds, melltotrons, organs, and el. pianos. Technically you can program it like a regular synth, but I haven't had the time nor the patience to try and figure it out.

Oh, and I always thought the TR-606 was the Jan Brady of Roland's TR line. For my money, it's right up with the 808 and 909 for low-res drum sounds, yet it's a quarter of the price. The 707 isn't a bad performer, either.

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:19 pm

Jexus wrote:
Alex E wrote: What would Jexus do?

hahaha what's this about ? :lol:

I'd say CRUMAR DS-2 :idea:
It's a beefy badass mono noone cares about.
But maybe it's gonna change soon.
Always wanted a Crumar DS-2 but they are not the most reliable things to buy, seen 2 on the ebay.de but both where fixer uppers. Also don't forget the polyphonic string section sometimes that's the only thing that works properly on them. 8)
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:30 pm

I bet it keeps in tune well because of its DCO's. :)
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:46 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:I bet it keeps in tune well because of its DCO's. :)
Still they are kinda pre-DCO's like in the Jen SX1000 so I wouldn't count on it.
My Jen always gets close to perfect pitch but sometimes it needs to warm up a bit first like a VCO synth.
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Hasn't the "underrated" thread been done to death already???

Firstly, it's always the same synths-ESQ, jx3p, CZs, etc... And it's usually whatever whatever that person owns at that time: "I think my X synth is totally underrated..."

And the other ones that have been mentioned-DS-2, opera 6, CS20/40/70, SH7, etc.. are extremely unreliable, expensive and/or rare, hence not popular... (tho I take it from AC's description that SH7s are very abundant and readily available where he lives)

I think a much better approach would be to figure out how many of these "underrated" synths were sold in the first place, and then decide, based on numbers made how "underrated" they are...

but so I don't come across as completely cynical, let me throw in my own 2 cents: The SH5 and CS30 are both totally underrated... I don't know why the sh-101/sh-09 and CS5/10/15 are so much more popular... like, they don't even have a ring mod or duophony
Do you even post on vse bro?

King Julien

Re: 500th Post!

Post by King Julien » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:24 pm

ronP wrote:.

CASIO MT-70 -- this preset synth with 345-note sequencer and analogue drum unit has the cleanest sounds I have heard from any 80's-era portable keyboard. No buzz, clips, or bleeps, just pearly sine wave goodness that takes effects like a champ!

+1

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:30 pm

The Axxe. A great little budget version of the more famous Oddy.
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:40 pm

Yamaha's SK series are also overlooked and have the same panel and styling as the Yamaha CS series (20m, 40m & 70m)

Yamaha SK-30 Symphonic Ensemble

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:52 pm

I have to second the Octave Cat. I don't have one right now, just a Kitten, but I know what it can do and it scares me.

Also, and this isn't just whatever synth I own at the moment, because I have long-owned this synth and will always own one of these synths: the Korg Mono/Poly. Slag the filter if you will, but I think it sounds pretty good. Also, where else can you find 4 VCOs on a non-modular synthesizer? Not just four VCOs stacked all on top of each other, either, but synced or cross modulated, or more impressively: dual sync and cross mod using 2 master VCOs and 2 slave VCOs. Furthermore, and no one talks about this, you can set up an LFO or the mod wheel to affect only the slave oscillators in a single sync/xmod or dual sync/xmod configuration.

Nothing else non-modular.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:58 pm

I realize I embellished on the Mono/Poly without really explaining why the Octave Cat/Kitten are so great.

The really wonderful thing about the Octave machines (outside of an amazing filter and robust oscillators) is the way you can turn the VCO audio off and use an oscillator as a modulation source. I know you're thinking a lot of stuff can do that, but can a lot of stuff do that while letting you mix your LFO waveshape with dedicated sliders? You don't just one boring waveshape per extremely wide-ranged LFO, but can link shapes back to back in a single cycle for completely new sounds. Now all I wish is that they had allowed you to separate the envelope repeat speed from the (normal) LFO speed.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

WDW

Post by WDW » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:03 pm

esqoner wrote:
WDW wrote:Dammit! You guys have mentioned five synths that I plan of acquiring relatively soon. I can already see the prices climbing. :cry:
delete and lock!!!!
The self-interested side of me is tempted. The neutral moderator side, however, prevails and leaves the thread open. :D
OriginalJambo wrote:
WDW wrote:Dammit! You guys have mentioned five synths that I plan of acquiring relatively soon. I can already see the prices climbing. :cry:
That leaves the question...which five? ;)
Yes, it does. :P :twisted:

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:21 pm

gfriden wrote:The Axxe. A great little budget version of the more famous Oddy.
I think the ARP Solus is even less popular than the Axxe. You're usually likely to see an Axxe on the Bay, but I've hardly seen the Solus anywhere.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:32 pm

Alpha Juno/MKS 50 - Not just a Hoover machine or "thinner juno". Basses are just as big as its brothers, to me it's squelchier for acid, and strings are bright and warm. Plus MIDI implementation is ace, the extra envelope stages are useful, and chord memory is always nice to have.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.