Synths that should be more popular

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:51 am

I think people are going to drag out the pitchforks and torches, but the Korg DSS-1 is one seriously underrated synthesizer. It might not have the deepest engine, but it's certainly comparable to many of the classic analog polysynths (CS-80, OB-Xa, Trident, Jupiter, etc.) and as far as I'm concerned, it has about 95% of the sound of those machines. In fact, it has a few tricks that the old guard can't match, like the wild digital delays, sample sync, and bitcrushing. Add to that the fact that you can use anything as samples, and it's an absolute crime that these go for less than $200 dollars. The moog-esque filters are the icing on the cake.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:40 am

Murderhausen wrote:Or what about the PS series by Korg? I know they are rare, but why would anyone bother with an Arp 2600 knowing these baddies are out there?

Because they sound so badass. I once tried a PS and 2600 side by side. Walked out with the Korg, but I still miss the Arp :cry:
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:45 am

Murderhausen wrote:Or what about the PS series by Korg? I know they are rare, but why would anyone bother with an Arp 2600 knowing these baddies are out there?
I have an ARP 2600 and a PS-3100. I am selling the PS-3100. It is a great synth, but it is really so different from the ARP that I cannot compare them.

The PS-3100 is underrated by many, but also worshiped by many.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am

hfinn wrote:I'd like to say the Moog Sonic Six. The later Moog filter ones are fantastic. Great moog sound with very strange modulation routings....
Shhh!! You're ruining my chances!!
You must be thinking about getting rid of that MS-20. :wink:
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 am

Synthaholic wrote:I think a lot of "underrated" synths are just hiding in the shadows of their more famous cousins. For example, the aforementioned Jupiter-4 tends to be overlooked in favor of the Jup-8.

The JX series tend to be underrated as well. Junos are more popular/famous, even though the JX series are technically superior in most respects. Probably because the JX series lack the discrete controls (without a programmer) that the Junos and Jupiters have. They lurk in the shadow of the Jupiter series as well, plus they had to compete with the DX7, and Roland for some reason made the JX series ugly looking (just because the DX7 has membrane buttons doesn't make it right ;) ). This is despite the fact that "The Final Countdown" used a JX-8P, "Take My Breath Away" used an MKS-70, among others.

Several great Moog synths stand in the shadow of the (famous and IMHO somewhat overrated) Minimoog. The Multimoog, and Prodigy come to mind, among others.
i would put the prophet 600 into this category as well...hardly obscure but i feel it doesn't get nearly the love it should for its feature/price ratio. as for JX's, i agree...and would love to get my hands on one someday--but find it hard to justify given that i already have an alpha juno 2...maybe i ought to trade up to a JX8P and be done with it.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt
Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom
NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080
MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex
Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am

MicrowaveXT and Pulse, +1 for the MKS-70.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 am

Well, one of the most kick-a*s synths ever, considering the prices they go for, are the (already mentioned) Roland Alpha Junos / MKS-50. I absolutely love the way they sound. And they are cheap as peanuts (100-200 euros/dollars). Everyone should have one. I have my MKS proudly next to the 16 times more expensive SunSyn...

- CM

Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
Murderhausen wrote:I have long-owned this synth and will always own one of these synths: the Korg Mono/Poly. Slag the filter if you will, but I think it sounds pretty good.
The SSM2044?
How do I tell? My serial number is 378151 if there's some way to tell from that.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...

mavertron

Oh its the jup 4

Post by mavertron » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:56 pm

Yeah i got to go with ac and the other guy, i have been thru so many synths and the one i will never sell is the JUP4 - its is FANTASTIC.
AC - have you used the arpeggiator trigger in yet ?

if not then do.

pretty amazing.

Its such an organic synth, and i throws up so much when you sit behind it,
i have an obx-a and the jup 4 gets more action - tho the obx-a is a sweet lady.

matt
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

mirt

Post by mirt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:04 pm

imo crumar stratus and trilogy are underrated, or simply unpopular, there is so many strange options like glide section, wave alternation, octave modulation, or even lfo with two konbs for delay and self oscilating resonance that can blow your speakers. it is build like tank.
maybe this isn't good choice as first analog poly but if you're searching for second it is greate choice.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 pm

A vote here for the emu mps (master performance system). Has interesting crisp presets - different tunings including 'just intonation' :) - which makes the quality piano sound very usable and despite the lack of the obvious modulation sources ( eg no filter) can make some musically useful strange sounds. Also the two mod wheels are very servicable. I can't think of any other synth where I'v used the two together so much. :)
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

devious

Post by devious » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Syn303 wrote:Yamaha's SK series are also overlooked and have the same panel and styling as the Yamaha CS series (20m, 40m & 70m)
I have to agree with you there. I paid less for an SK-50D than most people are paying for a single CS-15 and that's pretty cool considering I get more with the SK50D :) including a built in case, bwahahaha! And don't even get me going with the "closely resembling" b3 sound of the yamaha! Organ + Synth = awesome winning combo!

-d
prophet 5 3.3:minimoog d:sk50d:ax80:2x sh101:MOCHIKA:ms2000:cz101:tr909:stage echo

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Re: Synths that should be more popular

Post by wiss » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:40 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:I will start us off:
ROLAND SH-7
ROLAND JUPITER-4
I dont think you could ever call any synth from the GOLDEN YEARS at Roland underrated.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Anything with the name Teisco on it...
I have a SX-400 (rare bird), the synth Sound on Sound gave the worst rating ever...
Aside from the bad marks it received from S.o.S. it's a cool synth.
Sometimes I get pissed at it because I can't get the patch I want.
But it always redeems itself with patches I never knew it was capable of.
It has it's quirks, the patch memory is volatile, you get 1 osc in polymode, 2 in dual mode :(
I blame Vse's SX-400 write up for me buying my SX-400.
The write up claims it's similar to the Mono/Poly.
"Nothing" is further from the truth, it sounds nothing like the Mono/Poly at all.
That's why I have the SX-400 and the Mono/Poly on the same stand, for comparison...
I'd say if you can get your hands on a cheap Teisco synth, go for it.
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Re: Oh its the jup 4

Post by Analogue Crazy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:11 pm

mavertron wrote:Yeah i got to go with ac and the other guy, i have been thru so many synths and the one i will never sell is the JUP4 - its is FANTASTIC.
AC - have you used the arpeggiator trigger in yet ?

if not then do.

pretty amazing.

Its such an organic synth, and i throws up so much when you sit behind it,
i have an obx-a and the jup 4 gets more action - tho the obx-a is a sweet lady.

matt
Yes i have used the trigger in. I sometimes connect my Jupe4 to my CS-40M and trigger that arpeggiator from the CS-40m's CV ins and outs. That produces some very interesting results. A lot of great analog rhythms can be made this way. And because the CS has CV for each voice, you still have another voice to work with.

I gig my Jupe4 every week but have to be brave. The thing drifts out of tune constantly because of the stage lighting. But its well worth putting up with. It has such a wark sound that it makes me shimmer. Its a fruly amazing synth that often gets forgotten about.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,