Tell me about your JUPITER-6 ...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Diametro

Tell me about your JUPITER-6 ...

Post by Diametro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:30 pm

Love to hear what current forumites have to say about this analog polysynth ...

Just made a deal to buy one ... Call this Jup-6 by proxy ...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:34 pm

Loved it before Europa upgrade and now with Europa, this synth must be buried with me to take to the next world.

Highly underrated being overshadowed by its big brother. Before getting my Voyager RME, I used it mostly for synth bass: all 6 voices in solo unison mode. Decent pads and FX sounds. Arpeggiator is very fun.

I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Z
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:52 pm

Yes, the Europa upgrade pretty much seems like a no-brainer (AMAZING features ... Seems like it pretty much turns it into a modern digital that's ALL analog ... !!!)

Think it's a good idea to get it installed before it leaves NYC?

Or do you think the local tech can handle it? He already said he'll do it but won't take any responsibility whether it works.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:15 am

Diametro wrote:He already said he'll do it but won't take any responsibility whether it works.
just have synthcom do it- you only have to send the controller board- just get a small antistatic electronics bag and some foam suitable for shipping static-sensitive electronics, box it up and ship it. the board is about the size of a DVD case.

here's my smaller controller board set i took last summer when i Europa'd my J6:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adeneko/se ... 655687373/

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:35 am

It's pretty sexy in there ... !!!

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:28 am

I love mine - the multi-mode filter really adds to its versatility. I use mine for all manner of things - basses, leads, pads, effects, emulations of cheap 70s electronic pianos...

The interface is great - everything is laid out neatly in front of you. It's easy to set up splits on the keyboard, so it makes for a good performance instrument, not that I'd take mine out of the house - weighs a fair bit.

It might not be as ballsy as the Jupiter 4 or 8 when it comes to bass, but things can get pretty nasty in unison with 12 VCOs pounding away.

Push-Pull did a really great song called 'From Io To Callisto', which was created entirely using a Jupiter 6 - have a look for it as it's well worth a listen.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:45 am

But it has DCO's, wouldn't that mean it has the same shitty unison issue as the Junos? Meaning 6 voices piled on top of eachother with no pitch deviation whatsoever, just make a loud unpleasant sound? Or is there some detuning algorithm with unison on the JP6?

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:51 am

Bitexion wrote:But it has DCO's, wouldn't that mean it has the same shitty unison issue as the Junos? Meaning 6 voices piled on top of eachother with no pitch deviation whatsoever, just make a loud unpleasant sound? Or is there some detuning algorithm with unison on the JP6?
No, JP-6 = fat, luscious, artery-clogging VCOs.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 am

Oh, I must have mixed the junos and jupiters for a moment there. True, the JP6 was roland's very last VCO synth.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:07 am

Its a great synth and incredibly easy to use and program. Its quirky, but once you get a feel for it you'll be able to dial in what you want in seconds. Its got a nice snappy response. Europa mod is essential.

If you have the resources, have a tech tune it up and replace any aging caps or power supply components.

Also, you'll want to do the "click mod" if yours doesn't have it done already:

http://roland-jupiter.org/viewtopic.php ... b8ba6e3fe2

The Jp-6 will drive you batshit crazy if you don't do it. i haven't done that mod on mine yet and it bothers me to no end.

Enjoy! If you don't like it, you can always sell it on ebay for $5k lol.

bsh

Post by bsh » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:17 am

I got mine for 950 last year off ebay. For a vintage poly VCO synth with midi, it's hard to find anything to complain about at that price.

Made a great first synth but it's nice enough I don't seeing myself ever selling it. In a perfect world I guess a jp8 would be better, but at 3+ times the price it seems like the sane way to go unless you really have money to burn.

BTW, the unison mode has a an adjustable detune, the 1-2 VCOs can be detuned relative to each other, and each VCO can use any or all of it's waveforms at once. It can sound pretty damn fat. If people compare it to more expensive synths and say it sounds thin, I guess it's relative. It does not sound anything but analog. Add a nice chorus or delay and it's just great. What a steal.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:05 am

The Jupiter 6 is my favorite of all the analogs I own. The JP6 doesn't impose it's own sound character as much as many other synths. It's like a blank sonic canvas that's capable of almost any sound you can think of. It has so many well-thought-out routings and functions rarely found elsewhere. A few choice examples:
1. Any or all waveforms simultaneously selectable.
2. Bi-directional oscillator sync allows the best routing to make use of each oscillator's unique characteristics.
3. Osc-2 can operate as an LFO or in ultra-high range for awesome osc-sync and cross-mod possibilities. Excels at sparkling digital-sounding high bell-like sounds. Even does a fairly convincing grand piano.
4. Multi-mode filter with resonance in LP, HP, and BP modes.
5. Single-voice solo mode with last note priority for an authentic mono-synth experience.
A couple of other cool features are that the Arpeggiator can work on both sides of a split at the same time and it has a super-wide bender range.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:56 am

for an all analog synth, it sure can sound digital at times....
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

clueless

Post by clueless » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I have sausage fingers and cant play even "chopsticks"
My J6 is wasted on me. No idea why I bought it really. It just takes up space and gathers dust. I am well aware of what it can do......I just cant do it!!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:45 am

Noone can play beethoven without training, clueless. Maybe you just need a structured course in how to play polyphonically without stumbling all over your fingers. Piano lessons will do that. Or a simple "how to play keyboard" book course. Most music stores have them.