Tell me about your JUPITER-6 ...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:21 pm

Don Solaris wrote:Don't think so (that it was actually sold). Better check the bid histoy.
i see there's a bid of $1600 from a guy with 96 feedsback, still pretty big money. i paid a whopping $700 last summer for mine with two broken pots (which i replaced for about $5), a solid investment.
Last edited by xpander on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

echen007
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by echen007 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:24 pm

btw- my last Jupiter 6 I sold last Nov to a guy in Belgium also I believe fetched one of the highest at $2250 and that one had the Europa upgrade. I must have some luck with selling these :D

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 pm

xpander wrote:i paid a whopping $700 last summer for mine with two broken pots (which i replaced for about $5), a solid investment.
That's what I'm waiting for, a cheap fixer-upper. Something where I can either snag it cheap or come out ahead if I sell it afterward.

But then, if I get my paws on anything "Jupiter" I probably won't want to part with it so easily.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Re: Jupiter 6

Post by wiss » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:10 pm

Don Solaris wrote:
wiss wrote:one just sold for $2300 and wasnt even blessed with Europa.
Don't think so (that it was actually sold). Better check the bid histoy. Fake as Pamela's tits:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0211330195
echen007 wrote:Hi Don,
The Jupiter 6 is mine that just sold. I was leary myself and initially cancelled the winners bids since he had no feedback and I did not hear from him. Well he came through so far and have been very communicative as soon as the auction ended and will be FedEx'ing a MO for payment. Of course it will need to clear before I send it off. So far so good.. will keep you guys posted :D
fake b**b are still real, she had "real" b**b pre-baywatch
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:07 am

still waiting for mine to arrive ...

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:54 pm

Found a bunch (66) user reviews at synth site ...

owners really seem to like (scratch that ) LOVE their Sixes ... !!!

QUESTION: Only some reviews touched on it, but those ones say the Jupe-6 can in fact do those soft, sweet pads and some of the qualities of the Jupiter-8 ...

What do you think?

(I know they are different synths with different qualities ... wondering though how much of the 8's palette the 6 can do convincingly ... )

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:10 am

The Jupiter 6 has a very similar sound character to the Jupiter 8. The JP6 can do a reasonable facsimile of about any JP8 pad sound. Some of the more important features the 8 has over the 6 are two more voices, slightly fatter sound, layering, random arpeggiator mode, two channel audio outputs, and fixed HP filter in addition to LP filter. The Jupiter 6 has a similar front panel layout to the Jupiter 8, but with several significant refinements that add many sonic capabilities not available on the JP8.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Diametro

Post by Diametro » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks ...

Can you or anybody else comment on the single output ... this would be my first mono synth ...

I've never recorded in mono ... though obviously this is going to encourage me in a big way ...

Is this an issue with anyone? That the Jupe-6 only has a mono output?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:19 am

it has a 1/4, XLR, and headphone jack....

if you bought the Jup-6 thinking's it's going to sound like a Jupiter-8, your going to be let down.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:55 am

Diametro wrote:Thanks ...

Can you or anybody else comment on the single output ... this would be my first mono synth ...

I've never recorded in mono ... though obviously this is going to encourage me in a big way ...

Is this an issue with anyone? That the Jupe-6 only has a mono output?
I've never recorded in stereo :shock: nor have I ever made use of the stereo outputs on the rare pieces of gear I own that have them.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:52 am

V301H wrote:The Jupiter 6 has a very similar sound character to the Jupiter 8. The JP6 can do a reasonable facsimile of about any JP8 pad sound.
Sorry but Jupiter 6 will never sound similar to Jupiter 8. Not only because JP-8 has 12dB filter, but its oscillators are discrete. I'm sure you heard some demos here and there, but it is not until you actually own and play one of these to figure out NOTHING compares to it. The most stupidest thing like PWM sounds like million dollar on JP-8.

Not long ago i was thinking just like you. Then tried playing Clusterchord's JP-8 and figured out NOTHING sounds even remotely close to JP-8. I was playing Andromeda and OB-Xa side by side next to it, yeah they are good, but the sound of JP-8 is simply spectacular! Like i've said, it is not until you actually sit in front of it and play it.

I own some 30 hardware synths (more less analogs) and been programing them for over a decade. Tried them all, but JP-8 remained as the most warmest sounding machine ever. It has that specific "additional" harmonic generation (some call it "silky sound") that floats above the original tone, and sounds simply gorgeous - which was enough big reason to get myself one of these.

While Jupiter 6 is nothing but another CEM synth with Roland's custom filter permanently fixed in 24dB mode. But even if you could modify the JP-6's filter and tap its 12dB output (as on JP-8), you would still not touch the sound of JP-8.

Every owner of JP-8 (and a true programmer) will confirm you my words.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:24 am

V301H wrote:The Jupiter 6 has a very similar sound character to the Jupiter 8. The JP6 can do a reasonable facsimile of about any JP8 pad sound.
Wasn't this a bannable offense? ;)
Don Solaris wrote:which was enough big reason to get myself one of these.
If you have one yet, post demos, for goodness' sake. Mr. Varaldo has one too and he hasn't put up any demos either, and Bluesynths only has the 4 and the 6, and Arturia require a Syncrosoft dongle for the demo (stupid, stupid, stupid).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:43 pm

I'm up to acquire one. But it is supposed to be a secret. Reason? Well ... pretty damn good price - lets say 3/5 of its current ebay price. I still have some things to arrange. It is not that simple.... i'm not buying it from eBay. I just don't want to raise dust till the unit is actually here. Oh... it has the MIDI installed already, so i guess i'm paying even less.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:06 pm

Diametro wrote:Is this an issue with anyone? That the Jupe-6 only has a mono output?
Well, look at it this way, it only eats up one input on your mixer instead of two. ;)

If your mixer only has stereo inputs (say, you're using a DJ mixer) just get a splitter cable and run the JP-6 into both the left and right inputs.

If you must have stereo sound, get a stereo effects box or a second JP-6. ;)

The Juno has a mono output too, unless you turn the chorus on.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:21 pm

Not my intention to turn this into a JP8 thread but to answer Yoozer's request, this is a quick montage of JP8 clips I did a while back:
http://rogerroger.panicnow.net/music/JP8_Montage.mp3 This link will be gone as of April 1st.

To summarize the timbral differences between the 6 & 8, besides the obvious gains in versatility from the 6's resonant highpass filter in series or stand-alone, the 8 to me can approach more natural sounding orchestral simulations with proper programming. My guess on why is the CEM oscillators on the 6 are more linear and stable. Both synths use the same type of filter configuration for lowpass(IR3109), albeit different generations of the same IC architecture. However, the 2 pole LP on the 8 sounds alot better(and louder!) than its 4 pole LP. The 8 has snappier envelopes. The 6 is probably better for bass sounds. The 6 also will probably sit better in a mix. I have to run my JP8 through an RNC1773 limiter just to get a usable volume most times.
I can atest to the three simultaneous waveforms per oscillator in the 6 only from my Pro~One, which uses the same osc chip. Having a triangle backing up one of the other two makes it sound much bigger, but all three together tends to thin it out. Now crossmod, that's a different story! :) The 6 will definately outshine the 8 when it comes to sound effects. I forget if the 6's LP filter self-oscillates, but the JP8 in most cases does not. I've heard it can be calibrated to do it, but have never heard this firsthand.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.