Roland D50 is it a classic or out of date?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:33 pm

For those who think the D-50 can only do shimmery new agey type pad stuff, listen to Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Guess what synth that is. Hint #1, it's not analog. Hint #2, I'm posting in this thread. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:28 pm

Owning both for a short time I would agree in saying that the D-50 sounds warmer and more 80s and the JD sounds very clean, detailed and more early 90s.

Sold the D-50 because it was helluva noisy (for reference much, much worse than a mk1 DX7 - problem with the earlier models I think?) and is a complete bastard to program without a software editor (which incidentally crashed all the time) or the PG-1000 (that I didn't have).

As for the JD I traded it for a Mono/Poly. I kind of miss it but I never really attempted to program it much as I found the sheer number of parameters quite daunting.

Out of the two I'd probably say I preferred the JD - it's like a more detailed, hi-quality sounding D-50 on steroids. And the quality of the onboard effects is really impressive.
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:02 am

Synthaholic wrote:For those who think the D-50 can only do shimmery new agey type pad stuff, listen to Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Guess what synth that is. Hint #1, it's not analog. Hint #2, I'm posting in this thread. ;)
But shimmery new agey type pad stuff is so awesome, why would you want to do anything else? :D

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:29 am

Your not alone there, JD- when programmed, can sound huge with it's wide spread string pads, which the D50 can't really achieve, plus it's a little more versitle with better EFX,higher quality waveform's,I can undrestand owning both each sounds different.Watch out with certain D50's the earlier the serial number the more D/A coverter noise they will have,I can't confirm this, I read it somewhere awhile back,but my first D50 clean, second lot's of noise, second had a earlier serial number.

Out of the two I'd probably say I preferred the JD - it's like a more detailed, hi-quality sounding D-50 on steroids. And the quality of the onboard effects is really impressiv[/quote]

replicalex
Gear: SCI Pro One / Korg MonoPoly / Yamaha CS15 / TX802 / Roland: Sh101 / SH2 / Jupiter 6 / Juno 1 / AS: Semblance / MiniBrute / DRM1 mk2 / Jomox xBase09

Post by replicalex » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm

thanks again guys.

and thanks for the link D-collector some good info there.

Synthaholic...since you asked - I have in no particular order...Roland SH101, JX10+PG800, Juno106, JX3P+PG200 (selling this soon prob.), Korg Monopoly, Access Viruskb, Yamaha DX200, Novation Basstation kb (selling this soon too), DSI evolver.
oh and I'd rather not listen to Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" if I can possibly help it! :wink:

oh ...Mr. Black and OriginalJambo thanks for pointing out the noise issue. Its good to know when synths have these little quirks so you can look out for them. Cheers.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:34 pm

replicalex wrote:Synthaholic...since you asked - I have in no particular order...Roland SH101, JX10+PG800, Juno106, JX3P+PG200 (selling this soon prob.), Korg Monopoly, Access Viruskb, Yamaha DX200, Novation Basstation kb (selling this soon too), DSI evolver.
Lots of cool analog stuff. A D-50 or JD-800/990 would layer nicely with those (the shimmery stuff).

Even if you didn't have any analogs, the D-50 makes a pretty impressive surrogate analog.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:55 pm

Synthaholic wrote:For those who think the D-50 can only do shimmery new agey type pad stuff, listen to Poison's "Every Rose Has Its Thorn". Guess what synth that is. Hint #1, it's not analog. Hint #2, I'm posting in this thread. ;)
Ummmmmm let me guess..a yAMaHAHA DX7???? :P

That's a great song but I can't help thinking about that stupid Rock of Love show on VH1 when I hear it..Bret what were ya thinkin dude?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
What do you think you get when he takes that bandana off?
Phil Collins head =D>
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Don't mock Phil Collins' head! That head was the birthplace of many of my favourite songs! :thumbup:

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:16 pm

I need tips for programming the D-50. I have the PG-1000 but so far I've only used the presets so far. I really haven't found out howw to program it manually yet and what part of the patch to start tweaking etc. Any tips are welcome.

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:39 pm

I love the D-50 and I will get one in the future! It sounds awesome! :D

check this out to hear the sounds.
http://www.synthmania.com/d-50.htm
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 pm

For the money, nothing beats a true D50.

Watch both these videos in their entirity and then tell me you still have doubts.

1)

2)

From a D50 fan....

DS
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:01 pm

DIGITAL SCREAMS wrote:For the money, nothing beats a true D50.

Watch both these videos in their entirity and then tell me you still have doubts.

1)

2)

From a D50 fan....

DS
Those are awesome, thanks for the links DS. :D
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Cycom
Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Post by Cycom » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:45 am

I asked the guy if he could share those patches....basically he said no. Shame, as they're lovely.

Anyone have them?
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:29 am

Don't bother asking him to share or trade, because he won't. However, many of those patches are available on the net, and though they sound great, they're really not that special or hard to program. I recognise some of them from the Valhala Gold and Patch Pro cards. Great banks btw. PM me if you want the Valhala cards in sysex.

iProg, you shoud just experiment a bit, and get to know the menus. When you become familiar with the menus and editing system, programming is a breeze. And you don't need the PG-1000.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:17 pm

Synthaholic wrote:With the PG1000 you can create killer sounds.
For those who don't have PG-1000, there is a freeware editor for PC called D-50 VE.