Market for analog synths up sharply ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
reflect

Market for analog synths up sharply ?

Post by reflect » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:30 pm

It's often been said in the past that the market for analog synths was very small relative to digital. In the last six months, looking at the top sellers at the biggest outlets in the US, which is the world's biggest synth market, the story looks consistently different. At the moment, for instance , the Moog LP is outselling virtually every rompler and even synths like the micron at Guitar Center, which is much the US's biggest outlet by far ; the Prophet 08 is outseling several romplers there and a whole stack of previously leading synths like the virus ti, nord g2 and even romplers like the korg x50 . It's a similar story on Sweetwater and some other retailers, and has been for a while. I'm sure digital hardware was much further ahead in the past.

Is this the combined effect of softsynth ubiquity + more new analog synths to go round ?
Last edited by reflect on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:07 pm

I hear surprisingly lots of analog synth sounds on the radio nowadays.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Jexus wrote:I hear surprisingly lots of analog synth sounds on the radio nowadays.
Me too, especially during commercials. One commercial has some cool hard-sync going on, and I heard one just today that had a nice filter sweep.

Maybe I can get into the music-for-commercials business. ;)

Some mainstream music has analog sounds too now. Gwen Stefani's "Sweet Escape" comes to mind. BTW, anyone know what synth(s) were used in that song?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:33 pm

Couldn't it rather be that the market for romplers (etc) is DOWN sharply, with software taking its place, thus making the analogs chart higher in the relative sales charts...?

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:45 pm

djfetus wrote: but im defintly getting bored of typical analog sounds.
IMO
can't agree there mate - can never get enough of 'em meself ;.).

great that people are finally hearing more analog sounds on pop radio too .

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Market for analog synths up sharply ?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:11 pm

reflect wrote:It's often been said in the past that the market for analog synths was very small relative to digital. In the last six months, looking at the top sellers at the biggest outlets in the US, which is the world's biggest synth market, the story looks consistently different. At the moment, for instance , the Moog LP is outselling virtually every rompler and even synths like the micron at Guitar Center, which is much the US's biggest outlet by far ; the Prophet 08 is outseling several romplers there and a whole stack of previously leading synths like the virus ti, nord g2 and even romplers like the korg x50 . It's a similar story on Sweetwater and some other retailers, and has been for a while. I'm sure digital hardware was much further ahead in the past.

Is this the combined effect of softsynth ubiquity + more new analog synths to go round ?
I think it's more that the LP and P08 are new, so everyone who wants one is buying it now. The Virus Ti and G2 have both been out for years, and the only rompler released in the last 5+ years that wasn't just a repackaging of an older model with a couple of bells and whistles added on was the M3.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:19 pm

Since I don't listen to the radio anymore, I'd like to know something. Where are these analog synths popping up, exactly? Is any of it in new rock/pop records? Or, is it still a dancefloor-based interest?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:19 pm

reflect wrote:Is this the combined effect of softsynth ubiquity + more new analog synths to go round ?
According to something I recently read, for every softsynth sold it's shared with six other people. I which I could recall the source of that info.

software has killed romplers.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:31 pm

It's a matter of sound preference. I prefer analog sound over digital.
Digital synths seem kind of soulless to me, analog has presence.
I don't dislike digital, there are some awesome digital synths out there....

Find me a digital synth that can do this...
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 pm

Tardis wrote:It's a matter of sound preference. I prefer analog sound over digital.

Can't you do that with a PPG Wave 2.3?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:35 pm

Tardis wrote:It's a matter of sound preference. I prefer analog sound over digital.

my virus TI could do exactly that, I just would need to know the patch architecture.

this isnt to say the System 100 wont sound better doing it, because it probably will.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote: I think it's more that the LP and P08 are new, so everyone who wants one is buying it now. The Virus Ti and G2 have both been out for years, and the only rompler released in the last 5+ years that wasn't just a repackaging of an older model with a couple of bells and whistles added on was the M3.
looking at GC tho', those two analogs are outselling things like the Radias, Nord Wave and V-synth too.
Last edited by alan partridge on Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tardis

Post by Tardis » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Joey wrote:my virus TI could do exactly that, I just would need to know the patch architecture.

this isnt to say the System 100 wont sound better doing it, because it probably will.
I'd like to hear your Virus TI, that's one synth that's in the awesome digital synths category for sure Joey.
I think if I had to buy digital it's have to be an Access product...
"When natural inclination develops into a passionate desire, one advances towards his goal in seven-league boots." ~Nikola Tesla~

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 pm

reflect wrote:At the moment, for instance , the Moog LP is outselling virtually every rompler
Hard sales numbers or I'll call bullshit on this.
People who buy a Motif/Fantom/whatever generally do so because of these reasons:

- you don't need a computer to play
- you don't need to know more than where the power button is and the Next/Prev ones to switch patches
- it's got the best keyboard quality
- the above, combined with the variety of sounds makes it a better choice than a digital piano
- it's got the biggest range of quality sounds in a single package
- it's easy to set up layers and splits
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:59 pm