Market for analog synths up sharply ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gryphon

Post by gryphon » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:43 am

wretch machine (tube driven synth)

i think hot chip has a generally very VA sound, plasticky and smooth. I think they have an sh-101 and you can hear the difference between the microkorg and the analog machines clear as day, but it doesn't seem to matter much. I think the key is that they play all the machines. But yeah both analog and its imitations are definately making their way back into mainstream music. I think it's for the better. plus the daft punk thing- dance music is crossing over more too (justice, etc.).

I theorize it's because they sound more like a rock band (when i saw them last nigh, justice did a cover of master of puppets, if you can believe that, and boyz noize and sebastian have both done edits of killing in the name of by ratm).

it's gettin kinda bad... but kinda good i guess
PEK, ms2000r, Z1,

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:01 am

If analog does become popular again, or already is, I don't think you can compare it to the analog heyday--today, people use analog synths because they like the analog sound. People used them in the 70s and early 80s because that's just what a synthesizer was then.
That said, I'd be totally happy if it got to the point where I could walk into any music shop and be able to play DSI, Access, Clavia, etc. stuff. Or, you know, actually meet someone who plays synths. That hasn't happened, but I've met lots of people who play guitar/drums/bass.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 am

alan partridge wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote: I think it's more that the LP and P08 are new, so everyone who wants one is buying it now. The Virus Ti and G2 have both been out for years, and the only rompler released in the last 5+ years that wasn't just a repackaging of an older model with a couple of bells and whistles added on was the M3.
looking at GC tho', those two analogs are outselling things like the Radias, Nord Wave and V-synth too.
The Radias and Nord Wave have both been sales disasters, and the V-Synth GT is a niche instrument that Roland never expected to sell a tonne of.

On an unrelated note, do people really not think that the analogue sound is over already? People have been doing it for such a long time it's just gotten over-exposed, not even instrument manufacturers are doing it any more. DSI, Access, Waldorf and Clavia are all doing sample-playback voices through filters instead of just vanilla analogue style voices.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:46 am

I think virtual analogue is maybe on the way out in the hardware synth world - making way for digital synths that strive to be digital.

However, real analogue is far from it. The release of the Little Phatty, Prophet-08 and now a new WYSIWYG Voyager just spanning over a couple of years? Analogue is back baby! 8)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:56 am

True analog (or any kind of synthesis for that matter) is only over-exposed in hip-hop, techno and the electronic music jenre as a whole. It should get more attention in rock music. That's one of the reasons that I like the U2 album, How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Those boys (and their producers) did some excellent keys/synths on that CD.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:06 am

CapnMarvel wrote: If there was a vacuum tube-driven synth available today, I'd sell my house for it.
Not tube driven, but there's a tube in the Triton Extreme :lol:
even Siberia goes through the motions....

bsh

Post by bsh » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:50 am

I guess it depends on whether you consider it a leading indicator, but listening to the college station here I hear a lot of analog type sounds making their way into the indie rock sorts of stuff. Some of it has more synth than guitar, not all analog but warm sorts of stuff none the less.

I think musicians, especially the DIY crowd, are much more comfortable with technology these days just because it's of such overwhelming benefit. The difference between a daw and a 4-track isn't even close.

I think MP3s made a big difference too. Music gets around a lot more and people get exposed to a lot more so there's a lot more genre-blending going on these days I think. Plus, I think the eighties backlash is long since over and you even see a little bit of a new-wavish revival. Hey if you can mix hip hop and rock it sure seems like you can throw in some synths.

I do think an analog synth is a much easier sell for someone who comes from outside the traditional electronic music scene, though obviously they aren't doing too bad inside it either. I like the tube amp analogy. If you're in a band, you don't need to produce a whole album on your keyboard, you just want a cool sound. You can get away with doing "one thing especially well" more.
MidiMini, MacBeth M5, Synthesizers.com 44 space, MV-8000, VP-9000, RE-201. Arp Solina, Rhodes Chroma Polaris, Prophet 600, ARP 2600, Prophet 5.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 am

jim777 wrote:
CapnMarvel wrote: If there was a vacuum tube-driven synth available today, I'd sell my house for it.
Not tube driven, but there's a tube in the Triton Extreme :lol:
or the EMX-1 and no need to sell anything :D
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:46 am

jim777 wrote:Not tube driven, but there's a tube in the Triton Extreme :lol:

Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:49 am

Jexus wrote:
CapnMarvel wrote:Sorry, how can you be sure that the 'analog' sound you hear on the radio doesn't come from a VA, a softsynth, or a sample (or a sample of a softsynth)? I know there IS a difference between a live sound played on one of the, what, 200 or so functioning Moog Modulars in the world versus one of the 10 gazillion copies of the Arturia software emulator, but I think after being twisted and pulled in a Distressor, crammed up to -7db, and played over an FM radio, there's no possible way you could tell the difference.
Man, :flower: you're missing the point.
It's about the IDEA, not the waveform.
well put.

also this is a great thread! yay
My band, Little Pictures: www.myspace.com/lotsoflittlepictures

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:10 pm

So, does someone have hard sales numbers for me instead of stargazing and wishful thinking, about how a Little Phatty outsells the workstations?

Anyone?

Bueller?
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:20 pm

hm, don't think anyone said outselling the workstations, just pointing to the store pages that show selling better than lots of digi- hardware....

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Yoozer wrote:So, does someone have hard sales numbers for me instead of stargazing and wishful thinking, about how a Little Phatty outsells the workstations?
It's cheaper. The big 3 workstations start at about $2000. The LP is going to sell just because it says Moog on it and it's $2000 less than a Voyager.

The top 3 sellers on that GC page are all low cost machines.

The Yamaha S08 is the cheapest 88-key synth you can buy so probably sells well to weekend warriors who need something more than just piano sounds.

The MicroKorg is the cheapest synth in the store, period.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Whenever I visit a Guitar Center Circle of h**l, in the synth room there's ALWAYS guys playing Tejano or gospel music on the workstations. This is where these instruments go in the state of Texas - to cover bands who need a quick and dirty piano/organ/horn section without a lot of fuss or MIDI cables, to church bands, and to ethnic bands who probably never go a weekend without a gig. The people who are the consumers of that kind of music have little, if any, knowledge of or affinity for analog sounds. That's for geeks like us, the hip hop crowd who haven't come up with more than 5 new ideas since 1992 (when all the Moog craziness started anyway), and those who've been heavily influenced by the hip hop crowd.

I don't think analogs will EVER outsell workstations in real numbers. You don't need 15 ways to route an S&H to play a halfass organ line on 'Mustang Sally', you know.

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:26 pm

CapnMarvel wrote:.. This is where these instruments go ... to cover bands who need a quick and dirty piano/organ/horn section without a lot of fuss or MIDI cables, to church bands, and to ethnic bands who probably never go a weekend without a gig.
yeah, that is precisely the reason I got a Motif.
heck, I never even bring it home, just leave it at rehearsal.