Need help IDing vintage yamaha synth...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:36 am

Well, the CS-80 was advertised as "portable synthesizer". And that one weighs 200kg. Maybe it was targeted towards superheroes.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:51 am

Raised control panel?.. Built-in speaker?.. Blue panel?..... naaaaw.... he couldn't mean...

I know it's not a Yamaha, but other than that it matches the description.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:53 am

And lacking the carpeted interior to the case.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

Neonlights84
Gear: Moog Minimoog Model D
Behringer DeepMind12
Novation UltraNova
Korg MS20 mini
Korg EMX-1
Band: Winter's Glow

Post by Neonlights84 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:59 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:You're a bunch of bastards.
My high school classroom had a Yamaha Clavinova. ::retches::

It did, however, have a Fostex 8-track reel to reel, though... so I guess that's not too bad.

Yea well guess what? My classroom had a Yamaha recorder...and no, not a cool reel to reel..it's like a fricking flute for losers. That was the extent of it. Anyone who had any kind of synth in their school was better off than me..I've always wondered what kind of class id have to take to sit in front of a Moog Modular and have the Professor Of Far Sounds From Way Out teach me how to induce frequency modulation on the oscillators.... :?
Gear: Novation Ultranova, Korg Monotribe, Korg Electribe EMX-1, Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, Lexicon MX200.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:02 am

Now that you mention it, my CS15 came in a Yamaha flightcase with deep blue velvet carpet inside. Looked really plush sitting in the case. No built-in speakers, though so I'm at a loss.

Besides that, the ARP2600 with blue panel is so ridiculously rare. Even the grey ones are rare. The most common one is the black panel with orange text.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:19 am

I think I just found it:

Yamaha PS-6100

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:18 am

And if you're nostalgic for a Yamaha PS-6100, here's one on eBay with no bids: http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-ps-6100-KEYB ... dZViewItem

The control names and layout closely resembles my Yamaha PS-30 (1981.) Although the PS-30 looks quite different, I suspect that it has basically the same circuitry.

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:27 pm

I think I found it!

This best fits with my memory.. power switch on the right, slider with white increment marks on the left knobs up top.. as far as the blue tint, I've noticed in alot of pics the CS / MS synths have a blue tint, which I think is an artifiact from the lighting, and also in the room we got to play with it. I can only conclude that it must have been sitting in a custom road case where the top part unlatches and you play it still in the bottom part. As far as speakers go, I don't know. I dont recall ever having to turn any on, so I might have assumed it had an onbaord set. It must have had a set somewhere though ..

I know VS has the CS5, but today something just clicked .. maybe the view or the lighting is different in this pic ..

I only wish it were an ARP 2600 .. :wink:

But seriously, I really appreciate the help trying to clarify a 20 year old fuzzy memory..

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:53 pm

I'd still say it's cool to find a vintage synth in a musics room at a school.
The only thing we had in ours was a piano and lots of recorders (the plastic flutes, yeah).

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Well it makes sense though, it was a CS5 (the lower end of the specturm), and it wasn't that vintage in 1986. it was probably donted to the school by someone whose kid had it or something...

It was very cool ... My interest in synths got going around age 4, they were the sound track to all the kids shows back then and I remember seeing guys in bands and thinking I wanted to do that. Anyway, it was until 1996 that I got my first keyboard, a poly 800. I didn't even know they had stores that sold keyboards (non casio) until then either when I went with a friend who played guitar to a big box store and I saw my first trinity. Chalk it up partly to naviete of youth .. lol.

Man, but that was a dream to play that thing on fridays. I usually had it to myself since nobody seemed interestead. those were the days... while most boys my age were discovering girls, I was obssessed with doctor who and dreaming of daleks stalking the halls taking out my classmates. :shock: I guess that fantasy is a bit inapropriate for this day and age.. but ah well, it was 1986.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:29 pm

Ah - Yamaha CS-5, very cool synth. Here's my CS-10 in the blue lined case:

If you did happen to have an ARP Blue Meanie at your old high school, I'd be asking you where the school was and if they needed any new hall monitors or janitors.