...this @£*%@$!! Violent Beast is Destroying My Studio!!!!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital
Band: Dreams of Psyche

...this @£*%@$!! Violent Beast is Destroying My Studio!!!!

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:26 am

....It calls itself the 888....

Everything about it smells of blood and rage. The moment you hit play it punches you in the face and kicks you in the gut!

"Wow" is all I can say! This thing has certainly exceeded my expectations!

I wouldn't really compare it to an 808... It would be like comparing a 777 to a 303. The 888 has some similar characteristics, however it is definitely a different machine altogether. I'll leave the comparison at that.

One thing I've noticed about jomox drum machines, or at least with the two that I've owned (jazbase & 888), is that you can tell that care has been taken to ensure each of the different drum parts sits in its own space. Everything stands out! I know some of you may say, "well, you can do that to anything with enough compression" - in response I will say that all the parts sound crisp and clear - nothing sounds squashed.

The analog kick & toms are tight, round, and full. HA! after rereading that I know it sounds cliche - but I really don't know how else to describe them. The snare is awesome! Can be very light & metallic....

The samples are nice. I was kind of skeptical about the user sample playback before I got it, however I have to say I was pleasantly surprised when I heard the demo samples that came preloaded. I can only imagine what my experience will be with it after I start loading my own!

Overall I have to say I am extremely pleased with the 888. It fits right in with the rest of my kit. It is definitely a keeper.

-Jim
Don't feed me Indian, you WILL regret it!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:30 am

:shock:
all I have to say is:
EXXXAMPKLES!!

X = 8 ;)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One - PEK - Juno60 - 606 - 777 - MOTM format Modular... and Lots of Effects ‘n stuff analog & digital

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:16 am

I'll try to post some this weekend.

I am seriously floored by this machine. ...and I'm not one to hype new acquisitions up. God only knows I've gone through lots of gear without saying a thing about 'em...

The ONE thing I am "disappointed" in is that I thought that the 888 was primarily black. Mine is like a military green..... Shallow I know, but hence the reason I put disappointed in quotes (because it really doesn't bother me :) )

-Jim

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:43 am

The tittle made me expecting to hear some horrible monster terror..and I'm actually right :lol: just in a decent way! congrats for the new addition
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

you + me + my amplifier

Post by you + me + my amplifier » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:20 pm

crystalmsc wrote:The title made me expecting to hear some horrible monster terror
me too... it was an awesome mental image
My band, Little Pictures: www.myspace.com/lotsoflittlepictures

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:42 pm

Ah, I have a new beast destroying my studio as well...the Metasonix TM-7. Can't imagine that paired up with a 888... :twisted:
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:35 pm

JSRockit wrote:Ah, I have a new beast destroying my studio as well...the Metasonix TM-7. Can't imagine that paired up with a 888... :twisted:
I bet it would be sick!

I put together some CGS65 Tube VCA's recently. They provide lots of sweet tube distortion (especially if you feed the output back into input2 :twisted:). Needless to say, the tube amps with the 888 IS a wicked combination!

(
after reading the TM7 docs, it and the CGS65 sound like they provide similar experiences
Metasonix wrote:The first tube is a 6AK5. It was used as an IF amplifier in military radios and suchlike. We use it as a preamp—a BAD preamp. The SCROTUM knob controls input volume--badly. No, you can't turn it fully down. This is intentional—because it interacts with the DOUBLE SCROTUM switch. Turning down SCROTUM won't silence the awful noise and oscillation. It just makes the TM-7 howl and scream at various pitches, intermodulating with your lovely sweet guitar tone. Ha ha ha. Scrotum.
)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Could that TM-7 web page have made it any more clear of its male endowment inspiration? :roll:
I'd only be interested in the 888 if I could get really good 808 samples for the ones missing in the stock 888, especially cowbell.
More cowbell is always a good thing.

Is there a place to get those tube VCA's premade including the power supply? Do these amps operate with line level sources with the same behavior?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:11 pm

Solderman wrote:Could that TM-7 web page have made it any more clear of its male endowment inspiration? :roll:
I know, how stupid... but if you can look past that, it is useful in a very noisy way.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:08 pm

Solderman wrote:I'd only be interested in the 888 if I could get really good 808 samples for the ones missing in the stock 888, especially cowbell.
There are PLENTY of very good 808 samples all over the net.
Here's site, I'm sure you can find much better though.
http://machines.hyperreal.org/manufactu ... nd/TR-808/
Solderman wrote:More cowbell is always a good thing.
damn straight. (I guess :) )
Solderman wrote:Is there a place to get those tube VCA's premade including the power supply? Do these amps operate with line level sources with the same behavior?
No, however you can purchase a parts kit at bridechamber.com. You would still have to source/build a powersupply though. (for the right price I may be tempted to build one for someone. I would have to figure out the powersupply issue first though)

I personally think it would be a good venture. Get/build a small power supply and then build several small CGS modules and put them in a custom housing. You will have a very flexible/powerful effects box which handles line levels.

Anyway, back on topic. The 888 is a badass machine. I'm personally glad I got it over an 808. Don't have to worry about installing a midi kit, can sequence crazy patterns right out of the box from cubase or whatever, it provides massive amounts of tweakability, and has a great UI.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:14 pm

dude you gotta post some good demos since THERE ARE NONE! there is seriously only a couple short tid bits here and there, please make some decent demos that show off the noise feature and the long kicks.
for sale/trade: EML-101

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:16 pm

Solderman wrote:Is there a place to get those tube VCA's premade including the power supply? Do these amps operate with line level sources with the same behavior?
http://www.metalbox.com/

+

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... a=101258PS

+

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/anal ... SUPPLY.php

Ok, you'd have to solder the power supply board, but it's so easy, a monkey could do it(it only has about 14 parts), and since a wall wart transformer is the source, you wouldn't be dealing with mains voltages
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:53 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
http://www.metalbox.com/
Sweet, well, there you go!

-Jim

johans121
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by johans121 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:54 pm

nadafarms wrote:dude you gotta post some good demos since THERE ARE NONE! there is seriously only a couple short tid bits here and there, please make some decent demos that show off the noise feature and the long kicks.
I'll try to post some this weekend ;)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:20 pm

In addition to hearing the demos, I was also curious to know if the sample import is counterintuitive or not(MIDI sample dump?!? That's like the slowest way known to man, and requires a two-way MIDI handshake).
Also what do you think of the interface compared to, say the Korg Electribe MX series?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.