Digital modules for modular synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
kk994

Digital modules for modular synths

Post by kk994 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:55 pm

I was thinking it might be good to have a talk about digital modules...

There are probably heaps but it might be interesting to list a few and say what you think if you have them...

I can think of a few off the top of my head but I don't have them so any comments would be good.

Harvestman modules
Doepfer Bit Cruncher
Heisenberg Uncertainty module
MFB DCO 3 (DCO's in a modular)
Voxglitch Digital FX module

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:40 pm

There's the Analogue Systems Poly Harmonic Generator. It's a 6 voice additive synth with independent oscillators, filters, LFO's etc that integrates into your modular, has lots of inputs and outputs. Crazy idea, and works like crazy too.

"Polyphonic harmonic generator.6 voice,4 generator per note additive synthesis engine. Additional features include fully functional multi channel midi /cv converter with 4 programmable controller outputs and assignable gate function for programming s trigger and standard triggers. A useful arpeggiator and the ability to travel through the custom user stored harmonics and factory stored waveforms via voltage control. Specifications are subject to change as features are added to enhance module. "

Samples
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/modules/rs370MP3.htm

Sound on Sound Review
http://www.analoguesystems.co.uk/Review ... -375p1.htm
Last edited by Bitexion on Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:50 pm

I guess the miniwave is digital/hybrid. I have mine in Frac format, I'll probably get another. Lots of digital wave tables(I also have a PPG/VS EPROM) which can be scanned via a CV input. Also can be used as a quantiser.

I also think the Wiard Noise Ring is digital. I don't fully understand it, I've had it for a while and understand it less than the Wiard Wogglebug I got a few months back. I must spend some more time with it.

Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:55 am

add digital LFOs/CV controls to your analog gear with the Moog MP-201

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:08 am

Modcan VCDO
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

kk994

Post by kk994 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:29 pm

All good...

Of course there's the Doepfer Sampler module...

I'd love some wavetables but it seems to be very expensive in the Eurorack format...

Plan B Tap clock is digital... another one one I don't have :)

lemmonn

Post by lemmonn » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:56 pm

I liked the Arturia Moog Modular one alot...It was really fun man, and it sounded pretty great...
microKORG,69' Gretsch Chet Atkins Tennesean Gentleman,Danelectro Hodad,Fender Strat,Ibanez Artwood,Johnson Resonator,BC Rich Warlock,Epiphone Mandolin random japanese accordion...

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:33 pm

Oh, and AS has a digital delay/sampler module aswell.

It's a pretty cool thing to be able to sample stuff directly from the modular and play it back in any key you wish, or even voltage control the sampler and play it like a sequencer or different waveform.

"V.C. delay/sampler. Stunning 46.9khz, 16bit, 5.5 second stereo echo and delay with user assignable control of midi, analogue clocks, triggers, and CV Calculates the correct delay time to the incoming tempo. 50 user memories to create personal comb filter, flanging, chorus, pitch shifting and echo programmes. Can recreate bbd and tape echo effects and up to 29 seconds available in mono mode.
2 modes of delay are available Tape Delay and the recently developed Digital Delay.
In sample mode the user can voltage control and trigger the source material in ways unavailable until now. Using the RS295 optional expander samples can be dumped and retrieved using sys ex dumps."

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Interesting thread. I was curious if you guys know of any modules that do things like...

Granular synthesis
Comb Filter
Arpegiator

Would love to hear if there about crazy digital modules that include CV in/outs and stuff thats easy for computers but more unusual for modulars.

edit: I see the post above mentions the comb filter...niice

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:06 pm

AS has an analog comb filter that is completely nuts. I have it in my synth. It is an analog bucket brigade delay device. When you start cranking the resonance you get this sick reverb-like effect, and crank it a little more and it starts to warp and distort the sound completely. Add a little LFO modulation and you get hardcore lead guitar sound with feedback easily. It's the coolest "filter" i've ever encountered. Does so much more than just create phasing sounds.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:51 pm

Modcan have a digital delay 59B...

Bixeton that V.C. Delay sounds killer... how does sound?

kk994

Post by kk994 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:38 pm

c1t1zen - the Doepfer A-160/161 can create arpeggios. They create rythmic sequences and you can pitch the sequences by modulating the VCO with an LFO of ENV. You can force the modulations into semi-tones with a quantizer.... sounds pretty cool.

I don't know of any module than can granulize... I'd say the processing horsepower needed might make it a bit pricey... still you never know.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:15 pm

lemmonn wrote:I liked the Arturia Moog Modular one alot...It was really fun man, and it sounded pretty great...
We're talking about digital modules for modulars, not VSTi's emulating modular synths. :roll:

I'd like to see one company do a module especially for FM synthesis, all digital of course; kind of like a module version of the DX7. There's probably some out there that do this job, but I remain ignorant of them. I'm s**t at explaining things, but it would have:

- 4-6 operators, with changable waveforms
- patchpoints to set the algorithm, with pots to change values. Can be modulated by envelopes/LFOs etc.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:02 am

You can do that on the Nord Modular synths. It counts as hardware since all the sounds are made inside the red box. Although you have to build the patches on the computer editor.

There is a specific FM-type oscillator in it so you can easily string together a DX7 if you know how. Of course you'll have to change the patch routings for different operator configurations, which is why this is not really an ideal way of doing FM. The DX7 has 32 different operator configs that create wildly different sounds.

Anyway, you really do need digital oscillators for proper FM synthesis, as it is completely dependant on the frequency ratio between oscillators to create clean sounds. If the pitch varies by a fraction of a cent, you start getting disharmonics and that el piano suddenly sounds like a distorted mess. Analog VCOs tend to drift a bit (hence the awesome sound together) and so is unusable for realistic DX type sounds.

kk994

Post by kk994 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:03 pm

Shleed wrote:
lemmonn wrote:I liked the Arturia Moog Modular one alot...It was really fun man, and it sounded pretty great...
We're talking about digital modules for modulars, not VSTi's emulating modular synths. :roll:

I'd like to see one company do a module especially for FM synthesis, all digital of course; kind of like a module version of the DX7. There's probably some out there that do this job, but I remain ignorant of them. I'm s**t at explaining things, but it would have:

- 4-6 operators, with changable waveforms
- patchpoints to set the algorithm, with pots to change values. Can be modulated by envelopes/LFOs etc.
I saw a post once I think on Analogue Haven with plans for moding an old 4OP FM rack synth... I remember it being put up against the Zeroscillator as a cheaper alternatively. It was cheap but you needed skills and I can't remember how much of it could be CV'd...