Looking for a synthesizer with lots of deep, dark, drones...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:47 pm

I don't want to hang out at the music store all day long and test every freakin sound
Perhaps you should move on to something else then, because anyone that is obsessed with sounds and electronic music finds this fun and inspiring (I know I do).

Anyway, any synth that has a decent MOD MATRIX as well as PCM or real time sampling can sound "dark" and "mystical". The problem is actually programming and sound designing, which Robert Rich happens to be something of a genius at.

Furthermore, Robert Rich records actual environmental sounds that he uses in his compositions. If you look at his studio list, he has just 3 or 4 main synths...the rest is effort and pure skill.

A last point; I'll say it a thousand times here at VSE; PRESETS DO NOT MAKE THE SYNTH.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:24 pm

The way i see it you can get just any sound out of any synth with some determination and imagination. If i had to pick I'd say a Dave Smith Evolver might be nice.

Tchammosaur

Post by Tchammosaur » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:32 pm

clusterchord wrote:
on purely digital side of things.. waldorf XT is fantastic. u could pull off a whole album with it.. tho i like running it thru extra analog fx like space echo or analog filtering. for example: http://www.babic.com/SYN/XT/clc_XT_space_echo.mp3
Those are great sounds.

Witness

Post by Witness » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Thank you guys/gals for all of you input. Extremely helpful and a plethora of information...especially for my first post!! This site kicks a*s!

Thanks again...