THANK YOU Official*Bring the price of the SH-101*down topic

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hinotori
Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

THANK YOU Official*Bring the price of the SH-101*down topic

Post by hinotori » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:10 pm

thank you thank you thank you .
VSE is great .
thanks to the recent "Official*Bring the price of the SH-101*down topic" i was able to find an sh101 for 10000 yen in a "Mandai Shoten" (or is it Bandai?) in Japan . Its kind of like a hard off but much much more OTAKU! . usually with crazy high collectors prices to match the fanatics .
but they took heed of your thread and let me have the 101 for 1 man .
:)

thanks again . . .

if anyone wants a guide to cheap synth shopping in Japan then let me know ;)

p.s..the sh101 wasnt perfect . see the HELP section . bye

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:31 pm

Huh? What thread are you referring to?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Re: THANK YOU Official*Bring the price of the SH-101*down to

Post by hageir » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:44 pm

hinotori wrote:thank you thank you thank you .
VSE is great .
thanks to the recent "Official*Bring the price of the SH-101*down topic" i was able to find an sh101 for 10000 yen in a "Mandai Shoten" (or is it Bandai?) in Japan . Its kind of like a hard off but much much more OTAKU! . usually with crazy high collectors prices to match the fanatics .
but they took heed of your thread and let me have the 101 for 1 man .

thanks again . . .

if anyone wants a guide to cheap synth shopping in Japan then let me know ;)

p.s..the sh101 wasnt perfect . see the HELP section . bye
What?
that's like ca. $970! :shock:
they used to be $300-$500..

Anyways, can you find an SH-101 for me?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:52 pm

Good for you. I've been keeping a casual eye on yahoo auctions, and the sh-101's seem to go for at least twice that (between 2 and 4 man, depending on condition).

I'm probably moving to Japan quite soon actually, if I only get my student visa sorted out. Any advice on finding cheap gear is welcomed (Tokyo/Kanagawa area, mostly). Looking at yahoo auctions, it seems like the more venerable gear (303, 808, 909, ms-20 etc) is quite common, but not particularly cheap. Lesser gear (like CS-10's and Juno-106's etc) seem both cheap and abundant, on the other hand.
I guess one could get lucky in the general second hand junk stores, though. I expect to find at least one mint CS-80* a week. :wink:

*That i of course will have no way whatsoever of transporting. Or have any room for.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:53 pm

hageir wrote:
What?
You got a zero wrong...

Constantine
Gear: ableton live, ESX, kurzweil k2000r, euro/frac/DIY modular, sp-404, and Berna lol
Band: nXLR

Post by Constantine » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:27 pm

hageir wrote: What?

Anyways, can you find an SH-101 for me?
that's ~100USD :P :D

sh101's are somewhat cheaper on japanese yahoo auctions, but i don't think it makes sense to buy one there if you live in US or western Europe. Don't know about Iceland's prices though..

hinotori

Post by hinotori » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:43 pm

ive been living in Japan for near 4 years . though my grasp of the language is more like 4 minutes . and have had only a couple of good deals . . or what i think would be good deals .

these deals were the SH101 today (slightly broken bender) and a perfect (REALLY PERFECT!) cosmetic and sound conditioned CS30 . both of which i got for 10000.

i feel that a few of the synth bonuses of living in Japan (compared with my home country England) are as follows :
- TONS AND TONS of yamaha and roland stuff about . though recently the prices on yahoo auctions are a bit high for my liking.. always seems to be the same names too . dealers (probably Five-G) .
- always easy to find a yamaha CS (5 / 10 / 15 / 20M) . though the CS40M, CS30, CS60 and 80 are still rare .
- 100 yen DX7s are difficult to not buy, though ive resisted so far .
- lots of Boss product real cheap as well . i still love those micro rack fx . .

the downside is the lack of ensoniq and akai synths .
ive only seen one ax60 for sale all the time ive been here (on the auctions or in the shops) and i bought it :)

for a good reference to tokyo synth shops check matrix synth . there was an interesting post recently about the best spots to shop at in Japan . id agree with what most people said in that discussion . . . though i wouldnt say that Five-G have ever been "polite" to me or any of my friends (Japanese or foreign) ...

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:11 pm

I disagree about 5G. I was there twice about 6 months ago. They weren't talkative (especialy since my Japanese is very limited) but they were polite and very helpful. They even went out of their way to set up a synth that was not already set up and turned on, so I could play around with it. (ms-20, should have bought it. I regret not buying it...) Anyway, maybe it was just who was working, but they were very nice so far as i'm concerned.

Wish I would have found a great deal. lots of Juno-106's around that's for sure.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Haha, I didn't think it would actually work!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:37 pm

SickMonkey wrote:
hageir wrote:
What?
You got a zero wrong...
:oops:
:lol:

I was in hurry, eh.
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:01 am

You're welcome. Now how about giving me a little help with the price of an Xpander? 8)
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

hinotori

Post by hinotori » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:22 am

ive heard good and bad stories about their service, unfortunately ive only personally experienced the bad side. but id give the benefit of the doubt. glad to hear they are nice . . . it is a wonderful shop to visit with some very rare gems.

i remember seeing an expander the last time i was in there but its not on their online vintage price list.

http://home.att.ne.jp/yellow/fiveg/vintage/vintage.html

though there is one on yahoo auctions japan

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h41812801

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 pm

hinotori wrote: for a good reference to tokyo synth shops check matrix synth . there was an interesting post recently about the best spots to shop at in Japan . id agree with what most people said in that discussion . . . though i wouldnt say that Five-G have ever been "polite" to me or any of my friends (Japanese or foreign) ...
Thanks, found a few bookmark-worthy links there.

Yahoo auctions question: I can't seem to find any way to search ended auctions, except by adding them (before they end) to my watchlist. Major PITA. Am I missing something, or is it really not possible?

hinotori

Post by hinotori » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:05 am

as far as i can figure out its impossible .
i just have to add to my bookies etc. . .

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:28 am

That Sh101 was a rip off. The price for one of those is $600 tops for a good conditioned one. Not to be a downer, but I think a lot of people try to sell out-of-production synths high, and while most people don't buy into it, one or two rich guys come along, buy it, and then set a trend for future prices. Quite silly.

Can you guys even read that? What are you guys doing over there anyways, as in a job?