Forget the 606, give me a CR-8000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gfriden

Post by gfriden » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:13 pm

eminor9 wrote:the advantages of the MD easily outweighs the hassle and restrictions of the real thing
There's something to be said for hassles and restrictions sometimes though.
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:14 pm

gfriden wrote:
eminor9 wrote:the advantages of the MD easily outweighs the hassle and restrictions of the real thing
There's something to be said for hassles and restrictions sometimes though.
definitely... it's at least more satisfying, even if the end product sounds the same.. Like I know you can mod the cr8000 to take trigger ins, but I'm quite prepared to pull out the ol' KMS-30 and get syncin', triggering different patterns manually :lol:

(you would probably not finding me doing that with my DDM-110 tho!)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Syn303 wrote:
Some Artists/Albums who/which used the 78:

John Foxx - Metamatic
Ultravox - Vienna/Rage In Eden
Anthony Phillips - 1984
Blondie
Mike Oldfield - QE2 (Taurus 1)
Yello - Solid Pleasure (Stanztrigger)
New Musik - Anywhere
Visage - Visage
Fred Giannelli (of Psychic TV fame)
Dave Brock - Hawkwind (the weird tapes)
Phil Collins - In The Air Tonight
Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe (Equinoxe Part-IV extended)
Speedy J - 78 sounds heard in some tracks (could be samples)
A few more artists/albums who/which used the CR-78:

OMD
Greg Hawkes (eg on his solo album "Niagara Falls" (1983) along with Linndrum and TR-808)
Throbbing Gristle
Azul Y Negro (Spanish synth band)
Aviador Dro (another Spanish synth band)
The Twins (German synth band)
Landscape
(early) Men without hats
Rational Youth
Johan Timman (Trip Into The Body)
Gary Numan
Patrick Moraz
John Scott ("Inseminoid" soundtrack, 1980)

Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

eminor9

Post by eminor9 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:57 am

Forgot one of my favourite CR applications:

Holger Czukay, Jah Wobble, Jali Libezeit's 'How much are they'

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Does anyone know where can i get a trimmer mod / kit for CR-8000? It is supposed to be some kind of a board that fits into CR-8000 and you can have individual potentiometers for decay, noise, snappy, etc.

I just bought the unit from Clusterchord. I like it, but fact is, snare does require some "work". And individual outputs would be very useful.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Don Solaris wrote:Does anyone know where can i get a trimmer mod / kit for CR-8000? It is supposed to be some kind of a board that fits into CR-8000 and you can have individual potentiometers for decay, noise, snappy, etc.

I just bought the unit from Clusterchord. I like it, but fact is, snare does require some "work". And individual outputs would be very useful.
I wouldn't mind knowing this myself! Analogue solutions in the UK will do the mods, but it would be nicer (and cheaper) to find someone in the US who could do it or sell the kit...

(at the very least, opening it up and tweaking the noise trimmer for the snare will make it sound better in the meantime)

I am kicking myself-I managed to snap the volume pot off while I had it open.. it broke off on the edge leaving the little circuit board part still attached..... I am wondering if I can simply replace the whole pot, or if I would have to get another one of the same type... (expect a new Help topic soon! :roll: )
Do you even post on vse bro?

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:10 pm

I should have a spare volume pot from my machine lying around somewhere. You could replace it with anything though.. Although most pots wont be the right dimensions. 50k Linear pot from memory (could be 100k)

As for the mod layouts.. well when the 404 is finished ill try and help others out.

- J

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:17 pm

i'll open mine up tonight and see what's in there, maybe take some photos.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:56 am

Ok i just modified mine with individual outputs. Difference is night / day. I have another mixer just for a drummachine (AirBase99) and now i connected CR-8000 there. With each individual sound separately produced - it is a completely different drum machine. Take the parametric EQ and dial your own kick, snare, hats, etc. all realtime.

I love it !!!! All in all, a great rhythm machine. Worth every cent!

(hey, that's even before i removed inside trimmers and put them outside for tune, decay, snappy, noise, etc. - i hope to do that project next weekend)

Here is a pic of individual outputs:

suitandtieguy

Post by suitandtieguy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:27 am

Don Solaris wrote:(hey, that's even before i removed inside trimmers and put them outside for tune, decay, snappy, noise, etc. - i hope to do that project next weekend)
it's unfortunate you don't live in central IL. it would be fun to do this project with someone else.

i'm very curious to see what you're able to do. documentation for CR8K mods is very thin online.

something i think would also be cool to do would be to add a buffer board to allow external triggering of the voices AND retain the original sequencer. fortunately all the triggers are on a connector so it shouldn't be too bad.

also since the triggers are negative going, you could be running digital board into the positive inputs of the buffer amps, and the external trigger into the negative inputs. it should work, but it's entirely possible i have no clue what i'm talking about.
http://stgsoundlabs.com is where i sell things
http://suitandtieguy.com is my personal/music website
http://suitandtieguy.livejournal.com is my LJ, no blogistan for STG yo.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:33 am

suitandtieguy wrote:i'm very curious to see what you're able to do. documentation for CR8K mods is very thin online..
...as with any other device. :cry: That's why i design mods myself.

something i think would also be cool to do would be to add a buffer board to allow external triggering of the voices AND retain the original sequencer.
A very good idea. If you know how to build one in CR-8000. But i think this would also require a MIDI input, and a note mapping processor. Looks kind of complicated to me.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri May 09, 2008 6:33 pm

Don Solaris wrote:That's why i design mods myself.
Don, did you ever put those mods in? I have a cr8000 that needs some looking at and I think putting in some mods at the same time would be a good idea.

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Sun May 11, 2008 3:06 am

A friend of mine did the reverse - His CR-8000 sends midi information out to trigger other machines. I can ask him for details, if you'd like.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun May 11, 2008 4:37 am

Z wrote: Where can I hear this version? I have seen a YouTube video of JMJ playng this song an slapping the top of a CR-78 on snare hit. Kinda goofy.

Z
I've seen that video too. I've also been wondering about this "extended version" since I haven't found it yet.

I remember I used to get most of my JMJ videos from a user named Kekerz on Youtube. Sadly, his account was suspended and his loads of videos are gone.
Well fffff.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun May 11, 2008 9:54 am

Hossinfeffa wrote:
Z wrote: Where can I hear this version? I have seen a YouTube video of JMJ playng this song an slapping the top of a CR-78 on snare hit. Kinda goofy.

Z
I've seen that video too. I've also been wondering about this "extended version" since I haven't found it yet.

I remember I used to get most of my JMJ videos from a user named Kekerz on Youtube. Sadly, his account was suspended and his loads of videos are gone.
the video of Equinoxe 4 is here (Place De La Concorde 1979) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRX_Y4J-BA with jarre slapping the TS-1 tap switch in time to the rhythm triggering the CR78. The extended version is on vinyl only, i have the track somewhere i think.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |