new synth/metal player

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ShadowsWithin

new synth/metal player

Post by ShadowsWithin » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:01 am

Ok so im going to be running into some money in a month or two and want to use 700-800 of it to buy a new synth, i play metal so i nead a nice lead sound along with piano and strings etc. i am hoping for a 88 key and a little newer if possible, im open to a controller/module combo, as long as it stays under 800.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:15 pm

buy an used roland or yamaha workstation... korg piano sucks and the leads are really thin

a really good choice would be an Alesis Fusion ( i sold my korg Triton after buying mine) but it isn't a synth for beginners, if you want to use it for metal you should find some good orchestral samples and load them in the keyboard

(I'm assuming you're talking about prog or power metal, for other kind of metal other keyboards can be better, i play industrial metal and i use only synthetizers and an hammond emulation in my rig)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 pm

Kurzweil K2000/K2500
Roland XP60/XP80
Yamaha MM6
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ShadowsWithin

Post by ShadowsWithin » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 pm

ReaPeR wrote:buy an used roland or yamaha workstation... korg piano sucks and the leads are really thin

a really good choice would be an Alesis Fusion ( i sold my korg Triton after buying mine) but it isn't a synth for beginners, if you want to use it for metal you should find some good orchestral samples and load them in the keyboard

(I'm assuming you're talking about prog or power metal, for other kind of metal other keyboards can be better, i play industrial metal and i use only synthetizers and an hammond emulation in my rig)
yeah i play power/prog, does the alesis have nice leads? i know it has a good piano, but what about it's lead sounds. does it have an onboard sampler?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:22 pm

the fusion is awesome for all around stuff. the synth engine is pretty swell, and the sampler is extensive, just a bit weird (not necessarily difficult, just odd) to navigate, the biggest niggle being that it doesnt have any sort of crossfade, which means you might have to sample editing out of the box then throw in using the fusion converter.

try it, you might like it.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:23 pm

ShadowsWithin wrote:
ReaPeR wrote:buy an used roland or yamaha workstation... korg piano sucks and the leads are really thin

yeah i play power/prog, does the alesis have nice leads? i know it has a good piano, but what about it's lead sounds. does it have an onboard sampler?
leads are really awesome, it's the workstation with the best synth engine in the market for me. It has onboard sampler but usually i record and loop the samples on external gear (pc with Zero-X Looper) and then i export them to the Fusion.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:20 am

ShadowsWithin wrote:does the alesis have nice leads?
this is a good video, showing the fusion on a solo lead:
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

MPrint
Gear: Prophet 08, Moog LP Stage 2, Vestax Controller-one, Microkorg, Akai xr-20, Korg Electribe ESX-1, Macbook, Brain and fingers.
Band: Venkman/Melophonic

Post by MPrint » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:00 am

Anything like Opeth or Dream Theater? What's your band's name? I'm always on the hunt for good prog metal cause there isn't enough out that I know about.

scope4live

Post by scope4live » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:44 pm

You won't cut through the power of the Guitar sounds w/ those cute little digital synths, monophonically speaking that is.

I suggest a Studio Electronics SE-1X used. Why let the guitarists have all of the fun.

That's the biggest sound for the budget constraints you face, and the strings and piano can be had with any generic module for a couple hun somewhere.

But Bass and Lead sounds must be big and proud, not precise and pretty, but FAT and overwhelmingly powerful.

Trust me, I have played live with Marshall stacks and Mesa Boogies for years, and the analog synth is the only way to add to a big live sound.

For example, My CS-80 sounded very powerful when I demo'd it the first time, but next to the guitars it was only able to play it's fattest pad and barely make it'e presence known. Then came the OBX.

I immediately got the guitarists attention w/ thye Tom Sawyer sounds.

Just make sure to demo your choice w/ the guitars close by. You will see what I mean.
Jimmy V.

Scope DSP cards x 6
Lexicon PCM81/PCM91
Studio Electronics Synths
Creamware ASB B4000 w/ Pro3t Rotary

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:16 pm

Come on man, your gonna recommend a Studio Electronics SE analog that cost nearly double what he want's to spend, and he would probably have no clue what to do with it, plus he still has to cover piano part's with something else, i agree the Fusion and most current romplers sound like plastic,but it seems like for his buget he needs some sort of jack of all trade, even if it doesn't sound all that great.
Last edited by Mr. Black on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:30 pm

Wow, the lead on that Fusion by Menga sounds really nice (coming from a guy who's not the biggest fan of newer stuff [anything made past 1986 :P ])!

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 pm

Does it have to be new?

I don't do metal, but the AN1x (which has aftertouch, by the way) can do some ballsy leads and you can find them from $300-$400 on eBay. You would then have enough left over for an Emu Vintage Keys module, a JV-1080 module, or another older rompler module for your piano needs. I once had a Vintage Keys and felt it had the best CP-80 emulation of any rompler I've used so far, and it would have a lot of vintage emulations and leads.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

kaz uno

Post by kaz uno » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:52 am

You can buy a used Yamaha Motif ES6 for around $800 but only 61 keys... Synthesis-wise, I have gotten some very convincing analog-sounding leads out of it. Pretty good piano, great electric piano, great strings, and the lead presets are pretty nice already, even better when you dig in and edit.
Andromeda - Moog LP SE - Waldorf Micro Q - Motif ES - GEM RP-X - MPC2000XL
www.myspace.com/kaz1