New to Synths - Kurzweil K1000 or Korg M3R?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thecampbell

New to Synths - Kurzweil K1000 or Korg M3R?

Post by thecampbell » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:29 pm

I play keys in a band - we primarily play folk music and rock, a little Latin, and some experimental stuff. However, I'm looking for a synth rack (not with a full keyboard) that doesn't necessarily have to have all the FM synthesis stuff or the fancy editing stuff - I'm just looking for some basic sounds - Piano, Bass, Rhodes, Strings, Brass, etc. - that I can use in addition to my main Nord Electro 2.

So I looked on craigslist and found two amazing deals for a K1000 and a Korg M3R, and I'm wondering which to buy. The Korg M3R is sold with a 61-key controller and case, so it's more expensive, while the K1000 is the rack alone.

It looks like there's more information on the M3R online, but I couldn't find either synth here at VSE, so I'm assuming they're not very well-known.

Originally, I was looking for a Roland U-220, but these deals look pretty good too.

So, which should I get - K1000 or M3R?

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:11 am

The M3R is basically a 1U rackmount version of the Korg M1. I have one, but it'll be replaced soon by the Korg Legacy Software. It's OK though the sounds are very 'early 90s', particularly the Piano - which is all over early house records.

If you're after realism i'd expect the Kurzweil to be the much better choice - actually given the choice that's what i'd get. The Kurzweil piano sound is highly regarded. There are different versions of the K1000 rack, you'll need to check which it is.

Informative article here - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/a ... lretro.htm[/url]

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:12 am

The M3R is basically a 1U rackmount version of the Korg M1. I have one, but it'll be replaced soon by the Korg Legacy Software. It's OK though the sounds are very 'early 90s', particularly the Piano - which is all over early house records.

If you're after realism i'd expect the Kurzweil to be the much better choice - actually given the choice that's what i'd get. The Kurzweil piano sound is highly regarded. There are different versions of the K1000 rack, you'll need to check which it is.

Informative article here - http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr00/a ... lretro.htm[/url]

thecampbell

Post by thecampbell » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:09 am

What of the Roland U-220? How does that compare to the K1000 and M3R? I'm assuming it's a little less advanced (based on prices I've seen), but I've seen/heard it in action at live shows and, mixed with the rest of the band, some of the sounds don't sound half bad. It looks like the cheapest of the three.

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:33 pm

I have an M3R in addition to the Korg Digital collection with the M1.
TBH, at the moment, for playing live I prefer the M3R. While the piano almost makes me cringe, I heard a recording of my band and the piano actually cuts through really well.
I think I'll be happy with the M1 software after I do a bit of tweaking; there's a lot of heavy reverb and as I have just got it put on my laptop and a new Echo card, haven't really taken the time yet to adjust it to my taste.

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:35 pm

thecampbell wrote:What of the Roland U-220? How does that compare to the K1000 and M3R? I'm assuming it's a little less advanced (based on prices I've seen), but I've seen/heard it in action at live shows and, mixed with the rest of the band, some of the sounds don't sound half bad. It looks like the cheapest of the three.
It's sample based, much less editing than either of the above, no filters. Again like the M3R, sounds reasonably good for it's time. I'd still say Kurzweil out of the 3, BWTHDIK ;)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:26 am

the U-220 is Roland's first step into the rompler world (after the U-110), which sounds cleaner than the predessor. I like It's acoustic and piano sounds. It's a simple module with no filter and a minimum user interface. If you are not too picky, I think it would cover the sounds mentioned. The M3R with the the combi mode would sounds bigger and more animated, but I prefer the U for their samples material. out of the three, I would suggest the JV-1010, which is cheaper and have more polyphony for a piano playing, has a good piano sounds and better samples material, specially by quantity. it also responded to CC that it would integrate better with most controller.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums