general discussion: DX7mkII / TX802

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
plus321

Post by plus321 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:49 pm

I recently found JSynthLib ( http://www.jsynthlib.org/ ) and have been using it. It really helps me to program the TX802 and doesn't make it quite as much of a chore. It is also free so I highly recommend it.

gmeredith
Band: Warning Will Robinson

Post by gmeredith » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:21 pm

Java script - EEEEWWWWWW!!! :lol:

Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 am

Who cares, as long as it works it's fine with me. Might been written in C64 basic for all I care.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:51 am

xpander wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:I think it's the best of the DX7mkII series.
i push everyone towards the SY77/TG77, the price difference is nothing these days and they are more complex and powerful.
Yeah same here.

After I bought the TG-77, I pretty much abandoned my TX802. AFM basically destroys DXmkII generation FM, plus it has (crappy but serviceable) effects. Plus it has a nice big screen and a data slider.

I would sell my TX but I figure it wouldn't get anything on the market, and keeping it for collector's sake. Or maybe I can wait for the digital nostalgia age to begin....

synapsecollapse wrote:
xpander wrote:
Synthaholic wrote:I think it's the best of the DX7mkII series.
i push everyone towards the SY77/TG77, the price difference is nothing these days and they are more complex and powerful.
i recently bought a tg77 and am having a hard time getting along with it. i noted you have an sy77, what editor do you use with yours?
I use "SY Manager" when its too annoying to see the burnt out display on my TG. It is a decent program, but watch your memory cache because it is an extreme system hog. Personally, I get along fine with the TG's display when I can see it easily.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:06 am

i_watch_stars wrote: After I bought the TG-77, I pretty much abandoned my TX802. AFM basically destroys DXmkII generation FM, plus it has (crappy but serviceable) effects. Plus it has a nice big screen and a data slider.

I would sell my TX but I figure it wouldn't get anything on the market, and keeping it for collector's sake. Or maybe I can wait for the digital nostalgia age to begin....
When did you get the 802, and how much did you pay for it? Would you ask the same if it were up to you?

Question for everyone: Would it be overkill for someone already in posession of a Korg 05rw module to get a TG-77? Do you think the two have anything in common? Are they just two different 32-voice-polyphonic digial animals?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:23 am

gmeredith wrote:Java script - EEEEWWWWWW!!! :lol:

Graham
Java and Javascript have nothing to do with eachother except for those 4 letters. The major "ewww" part about this editor is mainly the non-native looks.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:07 pm

MrFrodo wrote:
i_watch_stars wrote:

Question for everyone: Would it be overkill for someone already in posession of a Korg 05rw module to get a TG-77? Do you think the two have anything in common? Are they just two different 32-voice-polyphonic digial animals?
tottally different beasts....while the sy/tg77 will do pcm sounds like the korg, it also has that killer FM section....when i had the sy77 the only use i had for the pcm's was for attack transients on percussive sounds...but i had the envelope set so snappy on it, the pcms were basically just giving me a hard click....i think the sy/tg77 really excells at fm weirdness tho

question for the tx802 crowd...are your only waveforms sine like the dx's or do u get saw(and six other waveforms) as well like w/ the tx81z?

question for the sy/tg77 crowd...can u load dx patches into it? i had one for about 3 months on loan, but i never thought to try it...i guess in theory it could work cuz they have similar fm structures...but like i said, never thought of it when i had the beast in front me.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:44 pm

nick_emulated wrote:question for the tx802 crowd...are your only waveforms sine like the dx's or do u get saw(and six other waveforms) as well like w/ the tx81z?
Sine only, since it's the same 6op synth engine as the DX7II. The TX81Z adds more waveforms to make up for the fact that it is 4op.
question for the sy/tg77 crowd...can u load dx patches into it? i had one for about 3 months on loan, but i never thought to try it...i guess in theory it could work cuz they have similar fm structures...but like i said, never thought of it when i had the beast in front me.
I think I read somewhere that you can. SY/TG77/SY99 use the same 6op architecture as the DX7 but with more features.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 pm

nick_emulated wrote:
No you cannot. There is a translation program out there but that does an approximation. I personally didnt like my TG77 at all and got rid of since it really didnt sound like a DX (even with the translated patches). If you are considering a "modern" FM synth, just go with the FS1R

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Altitude wrote:
nick_emulated wrote:
No you cannot. There is a translation program out there but that does an approximation. I personally didnt like my TG77 at all and got rid of since it really didnt sound like a DX (even with the translated patches). If you are considering a "modern" FM synth, just go with the FS1R
well id love an FS1R, but they are pretty hard/expensive to come by these days(3x-4x the cost of a tg77 on the bay)...honestly, i think the tg77 is where im going for my next FM synth...personally im not really to interested in using canned patches, i enjoy programming my own...and when i borrowed an sy77 i really enjoyed it and like the sounds quite a bit....im not a dx purist, i can deal w/ the difference in sound.....i was just wondering if it was possible to load dx patches into an sy/tg77 cuz they have the same 6op structure.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 pm

MrFrodo wrote:
i_watch_stars wrote: After I bought the TG-77, I pretty much abandoned my TX802. AFM basically destroys DXmkII generation FM, plus it has (crappy but serviceable) effects. Plus it has a nice big screen and a data slider.

When did you get the 802, and how much did you pay for it? Would you ask the same if it were up to you?
I got it 2 years ago and payed 150$. If I sold it, I would expect to get at most that price. TG-77 will cost around 200 to 300$.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:17 am

Thank you dude! That JSynth program rocks! It actually makes programming the DX7 bearable.

I have officially programmed my first 5 patches - and boy I had no idea the DX7 would be a great lead machine.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:03 am

OriginalJambo wrote:I have officially programmed my first 5 patches - and boy I had no idea the DX7 would be a great lead machine.
Yeah? I would love to hear them. Frankly, I've always been underwhelmed with the DX series' lead sounds (with one notable exception outlined on Tim Conrardy's DX7 page)
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:30 pm

That might be because the leads you've heard try to emulate analog synths, and fail. I've played lots of DX7 "MOOG LEAD" presets, didn't do it for me either. But when you try NOT to sound like a moog or analog, that's when it's good.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:08 am

Bitexion wrote:That might be because the leads you've heard try to emulate analog synths, and fail. I've played lots of DX7 "MOOG LEAD" presets, didn't do it for me either. But when you try NOT to sound like a moog or analog, that's when it's good.
Hey, you're preaching to the choir, buddy; I like FM specifically for its inimitable weirdness :). It's just a matter of my own taste--I mostly use my DX5 for pads, percussives, acoustic sounds, and various effects, and look elsewhere for lead sounds that turn me on.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p