Tom Sawyer lead sound

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Tom Sawyer lead sound

Post by drummy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 am

Man, I've been really, really obsessed over the song Tom Sawyer by Rush, particularly the creamy lead made by the Minimoog. What other vintage analog synths do pretty faithful reproductions of the lead sound besides the Moog Source? How about the Moog Prodigy (I know it's a Moog, but how close does it get) Does the ARP Odyssey do a good job?
Last edited by drummy on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:43 am

i did a fairly good imitation of it with my mono/poly, which is capable of the filter sweeps and the cool lead line. i can find the patch sheet if you're interested...
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:45 pm

i kno it doenst help any but there is a patch called tom sawyer on the prophet 08.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:07 pm

Preset 2 on my Moog Source nails most of the Rush leads. It's a basic two sawtooth lead with a tiny bit of detuning. I'm actually quite surprised at how much of the MiniMoog mojo the Source captures for the price. You can still get them for less than $800.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

drummy
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:34 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Preset 2 on my Moog Source nails most of the Rush leads. It's a basic two sawtooth lead with a tiny bit of detuning. I'm actually quite surprised at how much of the MiniMoog mojo the Source captures for the price. You can still get them for less than $800.
Yeah, I like the sound of the Source a LOT, but I'm REALLY turned off by the whole membrane button/one knob system. If everything was controlled by individual knobs or even sliders, I'd definitely get it.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:55 pm

If you have a working knowledge of subtractive synthesis you would be amazed at how fast you can get around the Source even without the knobbiness. Everything is laid out with with one button per function and the membrane panel (at least mine) works fine. The sound, the handful of functions it has that the Mini doesn't (oscillator sync, sample/hold, arpeggiator, two full ASDR envelopes) helps to make up for the lack of knobs.

drummy

Post by drummy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:08 am

redchapterjubilee wrote:If you have a working knowledge of subtractive synthesis you would be amazed at how fast you can get around the Source even without the knobbiness. Everything is laid out with with one button per function and the membrane panel (at least mine) works fine. The sound, the handful of functions it has that the Mini doesn't (oscillator sync, sample/hold, arpeggiator, two full ASDR envelopes) helps to make up for the lack of knobs.
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. Anyone have opinions on the ARP Odyssey, SCI Pro-One, and the other lower level Moogs and how close they can get to this famous lead sequence?

ShadowsWithin

Post by ShadowsWithin » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:10 pm

xibalba wrote:i kno it doenst help any but there is a patch called tom sawyer on the prophet 08.
yeah same with the dx-21, saw one at my music store, it's not the lead sound though it's that pad in the begining of the song i think.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:18 pm

ShadowsWithin wrote:
xibalba wrote:i kno it doenst help any but there is a patch called tom sawyer on the prophet 08.
yeah same with the dx-21, saw one at my music store, it's not the lead sound though it's that pad in the begining of the song i think.
yea i think that was what was on the prophet 08

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:29 pm

drummy wrote:Anyone have opinions on the ARP Odyssey, SCI Pro-One, and the other lower level Moogs and how close they can get to this famous lead sequence?
I've owned an MG-1 and have spent a great amount of time with a Rogue (bandmate had one). I've not played a Micro/Multi or a Prodigy. The MG-1 really doesn't have the fullness. It has a Moog filter but does not have Moog oscillators. The Rogue is slightly fuller.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:31 pm

drummy wrote:Anyone have opinions on the ARP Odyssey, SCI Pro-One, and the other lower level Moogs and how close they can get to this famous lead sequence?
I've owned an MG-1 and have spent a great amount of time with a Rogue (bandmate had one). I've not played a Micro/Multi or a Prodigy. The MG-1 really doesn't have the fullness. It has a Moog filter but does not have Moog oscillators. The Rogue is slightly fuller. Either one can get you close. Heck, the double saws patch I programmed in both MiniMoogV and on a Micron can get you close too. I guess it depends on how close you want to get and how much you want to spend.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:53 pm

when Rush toured last year GL used a Little Phatty Stage for the Tom Sawyer intro, and it sounded marvelous. :shock: :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man