Vocoder advice...

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
EricMc

Vocoder advice...

Post by EricMc » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 am

I need help finding a good vocoder, one of the synth players in my band uses a Korg MS-2000, but we are trying to find something a little better.

I'm thinking about buying an Electrix Warp Factory and just seeing how people here seem to like it, and what is a good price for one?

Also the Roland SVP-350 a guy in my area is selling one on Craigslist for 600, is that a good price, how do they sound?

Also, how does the Korg R3 sound, I have yet to hear one.

If anyone wants to recommend me one that would be amazing, and really appreaciate the help.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:17 am

Go with the SVC.
Last edited by hfinn on Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

elphcoil

Post by elphcoil » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:30 am

roland svc-350 without a doubt. i have a vp-330 that sounds great to me. the svc and the vp-330 are more or less the same unit.
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:51 am

That is good price for the SVC-350. That's what I have. Nothing beats an analog vocoder.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:22 am

Welcome to VSE.

This is a BUYER'S GUIDE topic. Moved.

WD
WD Whaley Music - W2Studios
Composer | Songwriter | Synthesist
http://www.facebook.com/wdwhaleymusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/w2studios

EricMc

Post by EricMc » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:20 am

What does everyone think about the Korg- DVP 1

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:30 pm

EricMc wrote:What does everyone think about the Korg- DVP 1
Eh. I had one for a while and didn't care for it much. It was nowhere near as good as the Rolands....

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:34 pm

You may as well go with a classic if you can afford the $600.

If you decide you need something a bit more moderately priced the WarpFactory (I think they usually go for around $200-something these days, though I haven't looked in a while) is a very nice sounding and flexible piece of equipment, solidly built too.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

dracena
Gear: 2cabinet 100m,Source, MS20, sh09, JP8, OB8,OBSX,106,Performer,DX7, DX21,FB01,CZ101,Maestro, MC4,
909,707,626,Drumtraks,dr110,kpr77

Post by dracena » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:40 am

i bought novation a-station just for vocoder. it is a little bit reminiscent of the roland vocoders bot overall it's not as good as rolands.

i'm quite happy with it. used to own clavia micromodular which i used just for vocoder too. quite a lot people here advised me to buy micromodular for good vocoder but i think novation is a lot better, more intelligible than clavia, alesis micron or even the venerable korg vc-10.

for a budget vocoder i'd advise you to check one of the novations (i bought a-station for 200eur).

but i'd suggest you to save more money and go with one of the analog vocoders (preferably roland).

nikseven

Post by nikseven » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 pm

i have a few vocoders (warp factory, svc 350, vc-10) and i think they all have their place. the warp factory is really clean and has unbeatable definition, if you want the lyrics to have a nice amount of clarity. the svc 350 probably sounds the "best" for the analog filter-y type sounding vocoders, it certainly has the most character. i usually record by blending those two together, the meat of the sound coming from the svc, and the lyrical clarity coming from the electrix. the vc-10 sounds cool, but it is volatile as all h**l and it takes me a lot longer to dial in a sound i am happy with on there than on the other two units.
vocode we must

nick_emulated

Post by nick_emulated » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:44 pm

the ensoniq dp/2 and dp/4 have an excellent vocoder algorithm...its purely digital so its nice and clean...im not gonna say its like the rolands or korgs...but its a good vocoder..and much like the warp factory its very intelligible(if u dial it in that way)

if u cant afford 600 for the roland a dp/2 might be a good choice....plus u get all those other awesome effects in it to boot.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:39 pm

i know i'm always saying this, but it's true. if you want a surprisingly intelligible but slightly dirty-sounding (and therefore awesome) vocoder, the Behringer Virtualizer Pro is rotten-cheap and very effective. i have several vocoder options, but my main three are microKORG, WarpFactory and the Behringer. the mK is quick and easy, but not as intelligible as the other two. the WarpFactory is solidly-built and highly intelligible. it's also a little "sterile" and clean-sounding -- clinical, if you will. the Behringer unit is built like a toy; mostly plastic with cheap buttons and knobs, so if you buy one, put it in a rack and be delicate with 'er. however, the vocoder is great, fast and easy to tweak, and oh yeah, the thing's got a butt-load of whacked-out and useful effects, especially for vocals (bit reducer, distortions, phase, flange, delays, etc). i bought mine from Ebay for 50 dollars. fantastic value for noise and vocal craziness. even new they're cheap.

oh, and whatever you do, don't look to the Micron or Ion. the term vocoder should have quotes ("") around it whenever mentioned in the ad copy and manual. BARF. it's okay on drums, but that's about it.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 pm

killedaway wrote:Behringer Virtualizer Pro is rotten-cheap and very effective.
that's a very interesting suggestion - i've never looked into a virtualizer beyond being a stereotypical multi effects unit w/ the standard delay, reverb, chorus, flanger & so on. hadn't read into how it has that vocoder, vinyl simulator, lo-fi, resonator, bunch of other interesting stuff...
sort of a tangent, know it has midi but can its delays be time synced?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:57 pm

get a nord modular...great vocoders on that, and you build you own as well.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:20 pm

space6oy wrote: sort of a tangent, know it has midi but can its delays be time synced?
unfortunately, no. but on that topic, considering Korg sticks a fantastic time-synced delay into almost everything they make (regardless of price), i'm shocked someone doesn't just throw out a cheap hundred-dollar rack or desktop unit that does this! i started a thread some time back asking about inexpensive time-synced delays and was disappointed to find the consensus, which is that you're likely looking at a used something-or-other that does this.

even so, the Virtualizer is a lot of fun for dirty, trashy, lo-fi robot terror. for the price, you can afford to stick one after at least one synth or microphone (and not feel too bad if you end up not liking it).