Yamaha SY77 multitimbrality question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Yamaha SY77 multitimbrality question

Post by D-Collector » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:32 am

I'm looking to buy a SY77 as soon as my economy allows it, but I have a question regarding it's multitimbral capabilities. As I understand (from reading various reviews) the patches can be made up of several tones/elements, each of which could be considered as fat as a single sound from the DX7. Is this right? If so, when using multitimbral mode, can I get like 8 different 6 OP "DX7" voices?
Or will it be cut down in a way, like in the Roland D-20 with its partials? :scratch:

I have not taken the rompler/waveform section into account here.

Any info regarding this will be appreciated.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 pm

you get 16 notes of "advanced FM elements" and 16 notes of advanced wave memory elements" (sample-based style). i believe you can assign sixteen different single-element FM voices to each of the 16 MIDI channels which would give you 16-part multitimbral FM operation but you are still collectively limited to 16 notes of AFM element polyphony.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Thanks!
It's a bit clearer now :wink:

But how would you classify a single element FM voice in the SY77?
Will it be like having up to 16 DX7's in one box? Or is the sound thinner?

paugui

Post by paugui » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi

I believe each FM voice on the SY77 can do the same a DX7 voice, but on the SY77 you have more waveforms to choose from.

There is even a program that allows you to convert DX7 sounds to SY77 sounds, so you can use them on your SY77 (dx2sy).

That program is available in this website and there is also the manual in there so you can get more specific info (I cannot give you that much info as I just have mine since christmas and haven't had that much time to use it...):

http://www.synthzone.com/midi/yamaha/sy77/

Hope this helps

Paugui

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Thank you very much for the information Paugui!
Guess it should sound great then :D

I have drooled over the thought of having one for a long time, but I have had some doubts, as I have used other late 80's multitimbral workstations and found them to sound a bit thin in multi mode.

Hope I can get my hands on one soon though.
:wink:

paugui

Post by paugui » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:03 pm

It sounds quite good.
I just haven't had the time yet to explore it very well, since I bought it after christmas and the exams appeared in between then and now..

The only thing I would recommend you to see is if you have room for it, because it's quite a huge synth.
In fact I'm thinking about selling it because of that (mainly because I'm starting to lack free space and I would like to buy other synths that have something more on the keyboard version compared to the rack counterpart), but will try to get a TG77 to replace its sound.

Good luck on finding one

Paugui

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:16 pm

D-Collector wrote:But how would you classify a single element FM voice in the SY77?
well, you have a much more robust sound engine than the DX7, it won't sound thinner. you don't gain the polyphony you would have if you were using 16 DX7's, but you do gain the multitimbrality and a whole lot more. and it takes less space! :D

i was amazed at how utterly cheap they are, i snatched up a beautiful SY77 and SY99 last year while they're still bottomed out and while people turning to the DX7 for FM sound still aren't aware of the SY77 and SY99.

from the image thread:

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:27 am

xpander wrote:
D-Collector wrote:But how would you classify a single element FM voice in the SY77?
well, you have a much more robust sound engine than the DX7, it won't sound thinner. you don't gain the polyphony you would have if you were using 16 DX7's, but you do gain the multitimbrality and a whole lot more. and it takes less space! :D

i was amazed at how utterly cheap they are, i snatched up a beautiful SY77 and SY99 last year while they're still bottomed out and while people turning to the DX7 for FM sound still aren't aware of the SY77 and SY99
I'm drooling over your SY99 :) I wanted one, but I just can't deal with a keyboard that huge in my "bedroom studio" (all my synths are racks).

The AFM generation SY synths are _the_ s**t. Probably some of the most underrated and underappreciated synths of all time, and some of the most complex and deep. Personally, I believe that they were still ahead of its time and they haven't truly been used to their full potential.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks guys!
This has cleared up a lot of doubt.

I have seen them go quite cheap here in Norway too, so I think now is the time to buy :wink:

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:29 pm

i_watch_stars wrote:
I'm drooling over your SY99 :) I wanted one, but I just can't deal with a keyboard that huge in my "bedroom studio" (all my synths are racks).
its also about 4 times heavier than you would think, it makes the even larger OB-8 feel lightweight. have you checked out the FS1R?