Which Wavetable synth to get?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
paugui

Post by paugui » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi

I have asked for the seller if it has that done.
If it hasn't I asked him to try to do it, because I really don't want it to die on me :P

400 Euros are more than 600 Dollars at the moment (if you want to check currency conversions you can use www.xe.com)

severen

Post by severen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:04 pm

I bought fizmo at $480. it's general price.
http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/ensoniq_fizmo.cfm

I like my fizmo. but I can't recommend this.
Because many fizmo have a problem.

carbon111 wrote: To the OP, I would recommend the Microwave XT or the Blofeld.
I agree with carbon. :)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:48 pm

You can sort of scan through waves on an Evolver by combining an LFO to 'crossfade' the levels of the digital oscillators while using the sequencer to change their waveforms. You don't really get wavetables as such built-in, more a selection of waves, but you could upload a set of more related user waves. Quite an effort though compared to a synth that just does it.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:17 pm

synapsecollapse wrote:while this doesn't include all the info you want it may prove a useful "whos who" of the wave game. a friend of mine made it while we were geeking out over what ones we wanted most (i have 3 of them now and desire a 4th) and sent it to me via email, i am sure he wont mind its duplication:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... LSRe7KazLA

the Blofield has all the wavetables the XT did but not the same architecture or filters.

very most importantly, these numbers dont mean very much. listen to demos and even see if anyone in your local area has one they might let you jam on to check out.

anyone feel free to contact me for incorrect info on this excel sheet, as i am the only editor on it right now.
Even after eight years of interest, I'm still so naive. Does the ESQ-1 qualify as a Wavetable synth by any means? I've seen at least one publication that identifies it as one.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

chamomileshark

Post by chamomileshark » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:04 pm

I'd tend to go for the Waldorf over the Fizmo..seems to many stories about problems with Fizmos. Personally I'd love a PPG and probably I could possibly afford one but the reliability issues put me off.

As a slight aside, I wonder if the Miniwave/ Waveform city designed by Grant Richter counts? and if they do..does that mean the Digisound VCDO they were based on are the first instance of wavetable synthesis being generally available?

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:49 am

Problems with Waldorf - 2 (XT) :(

Problems with FiZmO - 0 :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:03 am

MrFrodo wrote:Does the ESQ-1 qualify as a Wavetable synth by any means? I've seen at least one publication that identifies it as one.
No - See Carbon's definition (or maybe just read the thread :roll: ).

kogmachine
Gear: Probably way too much gear

Post by kogmachine » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:05 am

sequence wrote:Problems with Waldorf - 2 (XT) :(

Problems with FiZmO - 0 :D
What sort of problems have you had with the XT?
Don't be afraid, ever... cause this is just a ride.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:42 am

Ensoniq's EPS 16/+ and ASR 10/88 samplers can play transwaves, as well.
Yours,
Niall.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:38 pm

A wavetable synth must have the possibility to modulate the wavetable with envelopes, LFOs and whatnot. So that you can generate those insane complex timbres or slowly evolving pads that totally change timbre over time. Preferably would the tables be set up so that the sounds quietly morph into eachother like the PPG Wave, instead of just glitching. It is more about experimenting with finding good start and stop points for the modulation than picking a rigid waveform and running it through filters (even though they can do that too of course).

A synth containing 99 waveforms (D-50, Virus, SQ-80/ESQ-1 etc) on each oscillator is not my definition of wavetable synth. But it's a h**l of a more interesting synth than one with just saw/triangle/pulse waves on it :)

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:24 am

my favorite ones are:

microwave - gritty wavetabling into CEM filter n vca. closest u get to a PPG without actually getting a PPG.
microwave XT - all digital, works great for ambient/illbient/cinematic textures, especially if run thru some analog fx and/or high end reverb. its UI allows for immediate tweakage into unkown territories, i find this freedom really inspiring.

PPG Wave 2.0 - ultimate grittyness in wavetables plus lofi DAC. CEM3320 is my favorite filter for digital sources, huge sounding with phenomenal resonance. punchy 3310 hardware envelopes. its sorta like microwave's dirty old uncle who is also a pervert. :shock: 8)

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc