Weapon Superiority

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
elphcoil

Weapon Superiority

Post by elphcoil » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:59 am

23 started the topic and i rather like it. :)

so i'd like to see people name 3 pieces of audio gear in their setup that are capable of offering up total audio destruction. don't list the kit that causes the neighbors to call the cops. tell me what scares the neighbors to the point that they want to avoid calling the cops at all costs since they fear the fallout.

my list in no particular order:

1) sherman filterbank2 - the box that produces the infrasonic and ultrasonic at the same time. it's so aggressive and it can surprise even after owning it for a few years. the other people you're jamming with know that you can be louder and far more aggressive than them if you choose.
2) sequential circuits pro-one - tweeter frying highs and subwoofer cooking lows, check. damn, those overdriven drum machines sound good through this thing.
3) altec 1591a - i drive this hard and people duck to avoid the incoming impact. i've seen this funky green box from the 60s surprise more than one pro engineer. it can sound so hardcore that people will start to question why they're wasting time tweaking the overdrive effect on a sampler. i guarantee those effects won't sound as aggressive as this.

what are you using?
MV-8000, juno-106, vp-330, mks-7, mks-30, mc-202, pro-one, cs-5, dx-7, 770, k2000rs, pulse+, k-station rack, evolver, chroma polaris, filterbank2, drumfire, revolution, mobius, 565T, srv-3030d, rnc-1773, 1591a, vc1-q, 266xl, kaosspad2, and alienator.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:05 am

MS-20 whailing away sirens and low bass rumbles to shake your foundations
Fuzz Factory - total sonic distruction
Bitrman - why does poison taste so sweet? :evil:

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 am

AX60 unison mode, slow LFO filter, sawtooth seriously dirtied with a lot of noise, cranked to the max...

Gretsch Double Jet dive bombing through Big Muff with sustain all the way up...

Vox Jaguar cranked through a TS9 Tube screamer and Dunlop Wah, amped through a Peavey Delta Blues...

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Re: Weapon Superiority

Post by 23 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:57 pm

elphcoil wrote:23 started the topic and i rather like it. :)

so i'd like to see people name 3 pieces of audio gear in their setup that are capable of offering up total audio destruction. don't list the kit that causes the neighbors to call the cops. tell me what scares the neighbors to the point that they want to avoid calling the cops at all costs since they fear the fallout.

what are you using?
Looks like the rules of the game have changed a bit ;-)
Anyhow....it's hard to beat your 3 elph....the Filterbank2 is purely daemonic....evil incarnate. Those things can mangle the most innocent of sounds into monstrous bloody bodies left lying on the floor.

In any regard, in regard to a top 3 of mine that are apt to quickly leave the kiddies clasping hands to their ears screaming "MOMMY MOMMY MAKE THE BAND MAN STOP!"

(in no order)
1. FutureRetro XS
It can be kind when it wants to, but somethings just have a sheer angry disposition regardless of what inner child it may have buried underneath. This is one of them. Whether it be lows that hit the brown note and leave sub woofers begging for mercy, sheer ear piercing resonant lunacy, or overdriven abstracts that lead tot he depths of h**l.

2. EMU P2500/CS
One would probably look at Bruce Lee, and not knowing his prowess, think "What on earth can this guy and his kind disposition do to me?"
Same applies to the P2500/CS, it takes some coaxing, sometimes a lot of coaxing, but once the fury has been unleashed, it's absolutely devestating and well oversteps the bounds of conventional expectations. It's ability to exceed it's own limitations lead down a highway of digital corruption (the thing can be made to just glitch out like mad).

3. FutureRetro 777
It was nearly named the 666 and nicknamed "The Beast"...the idea was ultimately dropped for marketing reasons (true story). The truth of the story is this thing is "The Beast"....Whether it be bass kicks that would leave an 808 running to the hills, psyc acid madness, or states of schizophrenia brought on by phased distortions of reality, this thing can get the job done....and unlike the P...no coaxing needed.

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:08 pm

Roland Jupiter 4 in unison mode. A low key pressed down, no filter, no modulation and some idiot cranking the sub-amps on the PA by mistake. I couldn't see anymore. It was like an earth quake.

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:08 pm

1. Moog LP - Woofer blowin' basses, searing leads. Truly haunting sounds can come of this synth.

2. Jomox Xbase09 (kick drum) - You won't get 808 type basses but the 909 style kicks will break the doors down.

3. Nord Lead 2x - Cold, digital, sterile, but razor sharp...always ready for surgery.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:46 pm

1) Korg Polysix Turn the synthesizer on, put the VCOs to 16', turn the suboscillators on an octave down, tweak the filter, put the polysix into unison mode, and then switch on the arpeggiator. Crank the volume on your amplifier and watch the walls crumble.

2) Kurzweil K2500RS, this machine can take any sample you can imagine and do some very, very, nasty things to it. Once you understand how all the functional blocks work together, this Kurzweil is basically a digital modular synthesizer. As such, you can create some truly terrifying noises.

3) Casio CZ-1000, quite an interesting little brute. It has a completely oddball synthesis system, I'm never quite sure what will come out of it, and I'm almost always surprised by the results of tweaking. Some of the things you can get out of this synthesizer are absolutely scary. It even has guitar strap pegs for when you feel like terrorizing the populous in another way entirely!
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Ebbe und Flut
Nord Modular
Jomox M-Res
virb.com/ookpikk

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:05 pm

Waldorf Q using Random Sound mode.

Whatever'll explode first, your speakers, your ears, or your neighbours.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:44 pm

SH101 with the DJ Magic Mike Bass patch always rattled the dishes upstairs at my old place..

mwbassguy
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mwbassguy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:27 am

circuit bent casio sk-1 through a "spooky" reverb or delay.
an avatar and a sig make one's posts more easily recognizable.

severen

Post by severen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:36 am

Yoozer wrote:Waldorf Q using Random Sound mode.

Whatever'll explode first, your speakers, your ears, or your neighbours.
I quite agree :lol:

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:49 am

1. Evolver (LOUD): This thing gets mean and angry and howls without you touching the keyboard

2. Microwave XT: The sound is 5-dimensional

3. Kurzweil K2XXX: Will go all over the place, and shakes the walls on occasion.

4. Nord Modular: The infinity box

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:03 am

ESQ-1 - I've programmed some f**k up sounds on this thing

things that are circuit bent - cczzhhkkkkkakkckkkckckkctttazzyzyyyzzztttt

Yamaha EM-90a mixer - it's gone now, but when I had it I would run the headphone out back in to channel 6 with the reverb and process it's own drums or anything. Nastiest distortion EVER.
so what do I put down here now?

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:10 am

i've done a bass sound on my alpha juno through guitar effects simulating a triple rectified amp, and it literally shakes my building. the distortion manages to create really long sustain. it's hard to work into a mix, but it sounds damn cool.