Weapon Superiority

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:23 am

Metasonix TM-7: Ultra-Distortion / Pre-amp ...enough said.

Metasonix TM-6: Sure, only a multiband filter...but mess with it enough, it turns into crazy distortion

Elektron Machinedrum UW: Samples messed up with LFOs, bitcrushing to 1bit, filters, and retriggers = crazyness, if you want it.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:15 am

hehehe this is pretty much my objective in my musical "carreer". to make some of the most god awful, horrifing sounds posssible.
some of my favorites (in no order)

custom made Octave box: also does 5ths and 3rds, 3 0cts up down and unison. its all analog so depending on the signal going in it can add some smooth bass or freak out like a ferret on redbull

Making a feedback loop with my micromoog by running the HI out into the Audio in and the Lo out into more FX

and just love setting everything to self oscilate and run into one another creating a wall of shrieks, moans, and sirens. (micromoog, modded Korg poly 800, Octave box, Mooger 101 and 102, and custom analog modulated delay all going nuts)

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:10 pm

DSI Evolver - The thing can get evil even before you turn on the bit-crushing and distortion. FM, modulating the delay lines, tuned feedback all can create some shrieking scariness. tallowwaters once suggested that using an Evolver as an effects device on drums should spawn a new type of Industrial. I quite agree.

Symptohm: melohman - I know, software, but this thing can have the fiercest rezzy basses that make speakers (and everyone else) cringe. Also, granular manipulation of samples can easily turn the plainest sound into some bizarre, alien landscape.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:32 pm

My Doepfer system. Audio fed through filter controlled by S&H + double ringmod + FM and then finally another filter = madness.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:01 pm

dsi evolver--i third the sentiment re: the evolver (and what tallow said about it). i love this thing. as i've said elsewhere, take out the oscillators and it's still a bargain. that it has 2 dig. and 2 analog make this thing the bargain of the synth world. but mangling--the d-evo will f**k 'em up and good.

moogerfooger ring mod--put a distortion pedal in front of and behind this, layer the bass station with the aj2, and duck.

mpc2000xl--slice, dice, run backwards, crank the resonance...strain through d-evo--yowza!

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:36 am

virb.com/ookpikk

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:01 am

When my dinner guests have outstayed their welcome, I politely excuse myself, nip upstairs and power up the Jupiter 6. I activate the 'hold' button and then set off a chord with this delightful patch. They then make their excuses and leave.

http://media.putfile.com/Jupiter-6-SH--Cross-Mod

It's S&H controlling the pitch of both oscs, and the Cross Modulation rate. The first 50 seconds are a six-note chord held in Poly mode and the remainder is monophonic in unison mode.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Mr. Black

Post by Mr. Black » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:03 am

That should be your after dinner entertaiment, you wouldn't even has to worry about serving deseart.

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:57 am

Jack Spider wrote:When my dinner guests have outstayed their welcome, I politely excuse myself, nip upstairs and power up the Jupiter 6. I activate the 'hold' button and then set off a chord with this delightful patch. They then make their excuses and leave.

http://media.putfile.com/Jupiter-6-SH--Cross-Mod

It's S&H controlling the pitch of both oscs, and the Cross Modulation rate. The first 50 seconds are a six-note chord held in Poly mode and the remainder is monophonic in unison mode.
hehe i might stick around for seconds if you started that

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 am

the Evolver is superior by it's own engine or as a processor, the other two are the NMG1 and the XT.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:13 am

For me its mainly pedals, although creating noise with my sq80 and microkorg is far from difficult.

Copilot fx antenna
Devi Ever Soda Mieser in chaos mode

Why oh why did I ever sell my evolver :cry:
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:59 pm

Sherman Filterbank

any synth you care to patch becomes lethal through it, and that's why it can't be beat
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

OggeOJ

Post by OggeOJ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Depends if its supposed to destroy the monitors or the humaaaaaanityyy...

Anyway, if I am tired of the speakers I would start FM8, crank up square and fill the matrix. I think, with maximum volume, the speakers would break ^^

On the other hand, you can destroy the humaaaaanity with FM8 too.
yeah, im also obsessed with it.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:32 am

'nother vote for the Moog LP... I dialed up the "bin shaker" patch at a live gig once, and didn't know there were subs under the stage... hit the first note and literally scared myself. :)

My Jupiter-6 was sonic weapon #1 for years... it's in temporary retirement right now until I get another KB stand and fix the busted mod stick.
pure 100% grade-A evil in that synth.

Korg MS-10... set the resonance to mid-scream, patch the mod wheel to filter cutoff, and then use it to swoop up from sub-subsonic up to banshee wail... at a certain point the resonance cracks and you go from self-oscillation to pulse-wave oscillator howl, and it chills the blood. Awesome.
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:28 am

A Polivoks?

Least when it works.