Korg R3 anyone?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
wojam
Gear: Roland RD-700, Hammond XK-1, Alesis Ion, Alesis Nano-Verb, Traynor K4, Motion Sound PRO-3X,
Fostex VF-08, Shure SM57 etc.
Band: Drama

Korg R3 anyone?

Post by wojam » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Hi, I've done some searching around in here, and granted the Korg R3 isn't a 'vintage' synth, but if anyone out there owns one. I have some questions.

I'm interested in checking one out, but none of my local music stores (Central MASS) have 'em in stock for me to test-drive. Yes, I've gone onto Korg's website, watched the demo video, and listened to all of the mps3 samples.

But for you R3 owners...how do you like it? Are you getting the sounds and (particularly Live) performance you expected / want?

I'm most interested in the "Vintage Lead" sound bank. Plz give a quick run-down of the sounds. What I've heard sounds good, but I'd like to hear more before I spend any $.

Please feel free to pm me.
Thanx!!

Wes

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:07 pm

I really like the R3. When I go off to college in a few months its the only synth that I'm going to take with me. The best part about the R3 is the editability of it. I think that the interface is very well laid out and you can easily tweak a sound. Based soley on presets, i think that it kind of has a more digital futuristic sound, but with editing, you can pretty much make any sound.
As for the vintage lead soundbank, it's just got all your "bread and butter" sounds. Square lead, sine lead, some nice unison detuned leads. I know theres a really nice sawtooth lead in there somewhere, i think it might be in the other lead bank.
I think if you're willing to do some editing, you could pretty much make people think your R3 was a minimoog.

I see that you're pretty much brand new here:

Just for the record, we don't specifically discuss "vintage" synths. We discuss any and all synths, drum machines, samplers, recorders, effects pedals, and pretty much anything else you can get to make a sound.

feel free to Pm me with any more specific questions you have about the R3.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Korg R3 anyone?

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:20 am

wojam wrote:I'm most interested in the "Vintage Lead" sound bank.
the R3 is a nice synth that would mimicking some vintage lead sound well. but it's engine and features is more like a modern synth to me. other synths like the Alesis ION, ASB minimax or even an analog mono would do that rather nicely with a better interface and dedicated engine.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:50 am

i dont own one, but i've spent considerable time playing with one in a music store (the only store near me that stocks synths only has korgs), and i can safely say that the interface is dead easy to learn, tweaking is a breeze, and just to see, i replicated a patch i had been using on my mono/poly on the R3, and it was so simple. it sounds great, and is very simple to use, especially if you want to get bread and butter sounds, theyre already there for you in the presets. if i had the money i'd buy one, but seeing as in australia they cost a small fortune i dont have one...
hope this helped a little,
Alex
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:07 am

thestreets wrote: I think if you're willing to do some editing, you could pretty much make people think your R3 was a minimoog.
In that case it helps to have something behind the R3 that warms the sound up and rolls off the high end :).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

i_watch_stars

Re: Korg R3 anyone?

Post by i_watch_stars » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:28 am

wojam wrote:Hi, I've done some searching around in here, and granted the Korg R3 isn't a 'vintage' synth, but if anyone out there owns one. I have some questions.

I'm interested in checking one out, but none of my local music stores (Central MASS) have 'em in stock for me to test-drive. Yes, I've gone onto Korg's website, watched the demo video, and listened to all of the mps3 samples.

But for you R3 owners...how do you like it? Are you getting the sounds and (particularly Live) performance you expected / want?

I'm most interested in the "Vintage Lead" sound bank. Plz give a quick run-down of the sounds. What I've heard sounds good, but I'd like to hear more before I spend any $.

Please feel free to pm me.
Thanx!!

Wes
Well first, I own the RADIAS, which is pretty much the R3 except better, so I would recommend the RADIAS if you plan on getting the R3.

About the sounds...I'm not sure what you are asking there. What do you want? Vintage leads? The RADIAS sounds very digital -compared to most VAs even. The RADIAS has a lot of very unique modern features that make the RADIAS about as "un-vintage" as you can get without buying a soft-synth. Keep in mind, these aren't bad things; I bought the RADIAS with these facts in mind.

Put it simply, if you are looking for a vintage sounding synth for vintage leads, well, the RADIAS/R3 is a bad idea. h**l, my JD-990 with the vintage synth expansion card does better vintage leads than the RADIAS by a significant margin.

So is this what you were asking?
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

wojam
Gear: Roland RD-700, Hammond XK-1, Alesis Ion, Alesis Nano-Verb, Traynor K4, Motion Sound PRO-3X,
Fostex VF-08, Shure SM57 etc.
Band: Drama

Post by wojam » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:04 pm

Hey Folks,

Yes, I'm more interested in vintage leads. I do some recording, but I'm looking to add to my rig that I use mostly in a classic rock/pop format. I would like some ability to tweak on the fly. All of this on a strict family budget of course :)

The Radias, Mono Evolver, Little Phatty all could get me what I'm looking for, but the R3, Micron or Ion are closer to the budget right now.

All of your input is helpful, and appreciated. (Note that the R3 also has a $100 rebate thru June 1, and a no payments for a year thru Gtr Ctr makes the R3 a slight front-runner).

Thanx!

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:43 pm

wojam wrote:Hey Folks,

Yes, I'm more interested in vintage leads.
I would forget the R3 then. It won't sound any more vintage than a MicroKorg does.

I assume you require keys & knobs? Rack unit out of the question?

If so, Keep an eye out for a Moog Source or Prodigy, or Yamaha CS 5 or 10...ProOnes are skyrocketing $wise.

The cheapest you're going to get in a new synth w/ VCO's is the MFB Synth II - it's basically a poor-man's (non-discrete) Minimoog minus the keyboard, but adding a sequencer. Or look into the DSI Evovler desktop...a fantastic synth, very close to a ProOne and in the R3's pricerange - just add a MIDI keyboard (and a steeper learning curve).
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:48 pm

I fully agree with i_watch_stars. R3's general sound character is very digital and 'modern'. Live, I do use it for those classic analogue leads. In the studio... never. The best part about the R3 is that it's a really fun synth. It's small, it's easy to use and the vocoder is grrreat :)

- CM

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:50 pm

When I first played the R3, I expected it to sound like a MicroKorg. But it doesn't. Since it seems to be based on the Radias, I guess that makes sense.

I was actually looking at the R3 to replace my MicroKorg (the sound of which I love, by the way, but not the small keys).....however, I was a little disappointed in that the R3 doesn't duplicate the MicroKorg's sound. The R3 sounds great, but not like the MicroKorg. I now see that they are quite different.

thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:51 pm

I think the R3 is better than the MK. I think the only thing the MK has on the R3 is strings. Other than that, i think it's just a better microkorg, even though they are based off different sound engines.

Also, the R3 can absolutely positively do vintage lead sounds. Pretty much any synth can. I wouldn't "forget about" the R3 when considering vintage leads. The R3 has everything that any monosynth would use to make a nice lead.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:21 pm

I have not been pleased with the synths that Korg has come out with lately. Their cheap and flimsy and the sounds are very modern. The specs are also kind of weak. If one is looking for an inexpensive synth to do leads and the what not I would just stick with the Mirco, cheaper and better sounds.

Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:09 pm

thestreets wrote:I think the R3 is better than the MK. I think the only thing the MK has on the R3 is strings. Other than that, i think it's just a better microkorg, even though they are based off different sound engines.

Also, the R3 can absolutely positively do vintage lead sounds. Pretty much any synth can. I wouldn't "forget about" the R3 when considering vintage leads. The R3 has everything that any monosynth would use to make a nice lead.
I think most people here are are simply judging the R3 based on the presets. Vintage sounding pads, leads, basses are as simple to program on this thing as any other basic VA synth, it's just up to the player to get there.

The R3 can do everything the Microkorg can and then some. I just don't know why people look into buying a fully programmable VA based synth for older analog sounds and then complain about if the presets don't have the sounds they are after.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 pm

A friend of mine has the radias (same engine as the R3), and I've spent plenty of time programming it.

I can say these things about it

It is a GREAT synth, very flexible and is very deep programming wise. The morphable filter is a great idea, I'm surprised other synth companies havent thought of that before (at least that I've seen).

Soundwise, it is very much a modern digital synth. It has a sound character to it that is just obviously digital. Even doing analog emulation patches, it can't help it. This isn't necessarily a bad quality, but if you're looking for more of a vintage sound, it might not be the synth for you.
Last edited by Joey on Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:50 am

Re-Member wrote:I think most people here are are simply judging the R3 based on the presets. Vintage sounding pads, leads, basses are as simple to program on this thing as any other basic VA synth, it's just up to the player to get there.
Well, I'm not judging the R3 based on the presets, as I don't use any of them. If you want convincing vintage analogue sounds, look elsewhere. Compared to the M3X, R3's leads sound paper thin. Compared to the Alpha Juno's pads, R3 has no depth. Compared to the Sunsyn's basses, R3 is just lame.

If you want a fun digital subtractive synth with a kick-a*s vocoder, go for the R3.

- CM