Crazy idea: a mega-MicroKorg

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:41 pm

xpander wrote:
i_watch_stars wrote:The RADIAS is basically a type of synth that takes the quanitity of features approach, vs the quality of raw sound. It is the anti-minimoog.
totally disagree. fantastic sounding synthesizer.
Errm...I never said it didn't sound good, it just arrives at a good sound from a different way. If it didn't sound good in the end, I wouldn't still have the synth. I guess I am only talking about the "raw" sound, without using any of the RADIAS's features.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Talk about drifting off the original topic, which was to build several Microkorgs into a rack. Is a Radias, ugly as it is, functionally equivalent to a few stacked MKs/MS2000s? Sound the same? Some posts say they sound different.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:57 pm

Synthaholic wrote:... a Radias, ugly as it is, ....

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:00 pm

xpander wrote:*cool picture*
agreed. i love it.

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:02 am

Synthaholic wrote:Talk about drifting off the original topic, which was to build several Microkorgs into a rack. Is a Radias, ugly as it is, functionally equivalent to a few stacked MKs/MS2000s? Sound the same? Some posts say they sound different.

Joking aside, no, the RADIAS isn't exactly equivalent to four MS2000s; its much more, IMO. The RADIAS has everything that 4 MS2000's have (polyphony and timbral) plus;

...two stackable unison modes which blow the MS2000's 4 poly unison away with a possible 30-something simultanious waves, filter saturation, wave-shaping, tons of insert and master effects (some do suck though), VPM wave, drum kits and PCMs, synth PCMs (a la D-50), bigger mod matrix, more osc mods, extra noise osc, dual multimode filters with optional routings (parrell, serial, comb), upgraded vocoder, etc. The RADIAS does lack the DWGS waves though, but the synth PCMs largely supplement that gap.

I think they sound similar but not exactly alike; they all have the crisp clean "korg VA sound". I will say that I think the RADIAS sounds somewhat more "crisp", but yet higher quality and more "body" than the MS2000, but that is just my opinion. The RADIAS's sound more resembles a higher quality EMX-1 than anything. I've never played the MicroKorg, but it shares the same engine as MS2000 if I am correct.
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:29 am

Synthaholic wrote:Talk about drifting off the original topic, which was to build several Microkorgs into a rack. Is a Radias, ugly as it is, functionally equivalent to a few stacked MKs/MS2000s? Sound the same? Some posts say they sound different.
its like comparing a roland jx to a roland jupiter.

different synths, same maker.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com