Sequential Pro-One.....what's the appeal? I don't get it!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:42 am

devetron wrote:I've never seen a pro one in the "flesh." Is its build quality about the same as the Prophet 600?
The case is kind of flimsy.

That's why I'm putting mine into solid cherry:

:D :D :D
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

roboctopus
Gear: Juno 60, Moog Little Phatty SE II, Moog Prodigy (dead), Moogerfoogers: MF-101 & 102, Korg ER-1, guitars, banjos, basses, drums

Post by roboctopus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:58 am

That is the coolest pro-one I have seen. Nice! How much is replaced? New keyboard and mod wheels? It's a beaut, for sure!
That's the History Eraser Button.

mirt

Post by mirt » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:41 pm

t really like my pro one but not for the sound of vco and vcf, and not for the quality of build. If it was simple one osc. mono with one eg it could be a pice of junk, nothing like my ms10 or cs5. Hey but where you'll find other mono with this posibilitiees and sequencer it's almost mono workstation :). I know it's a pice of s@$t if you compare it to prophet 5, but i don't have p5.

BritSynths

Re: Sequential Pro-One.....what's the appeal? I don't get i

Post by BritSynths » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:47 pm

OMNI26 wrote:About 10 or so years ago I picked up a Sequential Circuits Pro-One locally for $125. I had wanted one since the 80's when they were first released, and was glad to have found one.

Anyway, I found the synth......rather un-inspiring. It did not have a warmth to it like my Minimoog. It had what I would describe as the most "basic" sound to it......just not all that exciting, really! It sounded analog, but was honestly really nothing special. On top of that, the keyboard action was mediocre, and the build quality of the synth was not all that great. I kept it for awhile, but eventually I just couldn't justify it and ended up selling it (for way less than what it would be worth today, of course!).

The point of me stating this is that for years I have noticed how highly this synth is rated. People seem to love it, and I just have never understood why.

I have owned tons of synths over the years (including other Sequential units like a Prophet-5 and Prophet-600), and I very often find myself regretting having sold a synth, but I have never regretted selling the Pro-One.

So.....why does this synth have the appeal that it does?
Have to admit I feel much the same way about my OSCar, I only really keep it as its the one true "collectable" synth I won
DW8000,MS2000B,JX3P,PG200,SH-32,JV-1010,MU90R, TX81Z,CZ101,VZ8M, Drumstation,AStation,XR10,RT-232,VirusB,K4R,Proteus 2000:Oscar,PhilipRees CSF,C16,Roland Gaia, Studiologic Sledge,Quasimidi Quasar,NanoSynth,NanoBass,Korg 03/RW, SR-88

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Although I've never seen or touched a Pro-One in person, I find myself attracted to them, enough so that it is one of my top choices for a vintage monosynth (Minimoog aside, but that's a whole different class IMHO).

Why? While the black plastic case may be cheap, it looks sexy in pictures. It has that Sequential/Prophet heritage in a more affordable package, the cool modulation section, hard sync, two envelopes, dedicated LFO + one oscillator can also act as an LFO, arpeggiator and sequencer. And it's a 2 osc mono that often sells for little more than other 1-osc monos.

Maybe another reason is because I've always wanted a Prophet-5 but can't afford one.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:56 pm

carbon111 wrote:
devetron wrote:I've never seen a pro one in the "flesh." Is its build quality about the same as the Prophet 600?
The case is kind of flimsy.

That's why I'm putting mine into solid cherry:

:D :D :D
Now THAT is awesome! Imagine if Sequential Circuits had originally built the Pro-One like this! Might not have sounded any better at least to me, but man, that is beautiful. The silver & black Prophet-style knobs make a huge difference, too, as opposed to the all-black plastic knobs of the original Pro-One.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I like my pro-one, You have to caress sounds from it esp the filter with that screaming resonance.
Get the balance right and it can sound as good if not better than most mono's out there. The mod matrix is very good and produces amazing sounds.

With it's quirky sequencer and decent sounds it's in my top 5 mono synths.
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:21 pm

Here's my baby. I love it so much I put it on my CD cover. To your point, every Pro-One owner will tell you that the build quality sucks, along with the keys. (That's why Kenton invented the Pro-Solo!) But the sound is great, the mod matrix is great, the sequencer/arp is cool and it's well laid out and easy to learn on.

Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:14 pm

Me and my friend ran a DOTCOM VCO controlled by the Pro One into its external input. The 3 oscillator Pro one sounded pretty cool that night. Take that minimoog!

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:14 pm

it's flexibility is its appeal- it can cover a lot of ground for a small monosynth. other than having the plastic case, it's a fine build- the knobs & keyboard have a nice feel. i had the bushings replaced on mine plus had it recap'd & cleaned so it really plays & looks & works like a brand new synthesizer- not bad for a 25-year-old synth. i don't believe it's half the bass synth people say it is, though.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:33 pm

xpander wrote:it's flexibility is its appeal- it can cover a lot of ground for a small monosynth. other than having the plastic case, it's a fine build- the knobs & keyboard have a nice feel. i had the bushings replaced on mine plus had it recap'd & cleaned so it really plays & looks & works like a brand new synthesizer- not bad for a 25-year-old synth.
The previous owner of mine replaced the keybed with a nice pratt and reed j-wire, then replaced the power supply with a new transformer on the chassis, and that helped things for it tremendously.
I have a couple of pots that are starting to get scratchy though. The one for the Filter Cutoff pot is so worn, it wobbles vertically at mid-turn, making the cutoff a mess for tweaking. So the pots don't last either. I've been meaning to get some from wine country, but haven't gotten around to it. And btw, plastic shafts on the pots? WTF!?!
xpander wrote:i don't believe it's half the bass synth people say it is, though.
Mine has this problem for bass, and I've always wondered if all Pro~Ones, indeed many 2 oscillator synths do this:
As the two detuned oscillators phase in and out of each other when tuned near the same octave, the fundamental and first set of harmonics go up and down in volume, quite noticeably, at the rate of the beating frequency. This effect is so severely blunt on my Pro~One that when resonance is increased to near self-osc, the beating modulates resonance up and down. This is the main thing I find myself fighting for good bass on it.
This effect seems to work in favor for ceratin lead sounds, and makes the modulation in certain crossmod bass sounds more interesting though, so it's not all bad.

If only this thing would do filter overdrive like its 70's monophonic relatives. All I get is horrible muck. Trying the filter out to in feedback trick only gives a little bit of overdrive before producing horrible, wildly-pitched buzzing. This is where my Voyager definately kicks its a*s.

That said, if you stick with one osc (or the second synced very closely in pitch), with some resonance and the output run through a fuzz pedal, it does the most fantastic impression of the bassline in Herbie Hancock's Chameleon, which I believe was done on an ARP 2600(or Odyssey?) originally.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:26 pm

I didnt see what all the fuss was about either. I sold mine. Thought it sounded a bit plain. Mine wasnt in the best condition which didnt help the overall fell of cheap quality. I thought the Mod section was cool tho-but couldnt justify the whole synth for just that...

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:47 pm

The Pro One was meant to be an inexpensive mono synth. There for I partially agree with the build quality argument. I say partially because I like all except the plastic front panel. I have a J-wire version. The J wire is a J-wire. I wish the keys would have a little more weight to them, but other then that I think the action is good. It is a mono synth after all. The Pro One has a unique sound. I like it. Some may not. I am also a fan of the routing one is able to do. IMHO I think it has only been recently that we have had these routing options on a small mono synth.

I guess I feel much the same way about the SH-101 as the OP feels about the Pro One. I bought an SH-101 awhile ago for $300 US, and that was a lot in my mind for such a synth. I liked the sound, but I was not "in like" with it. I hated the case even though it was a more rouged plastic, it was still plastic.

I guess it comes down to ones tastes as well as the condition of the synth. My Pro One came to me as a box of parts. I built it back up restoring it in the process and it functions and sounds beautiful.

And here she is...

Last edited by synth3tik on Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:54 pm

synth3tik wrote:My Pro One came to me as a box of parts. I built it back up restoring it in the process and it functions and sounds beautiful.
Ooh, a Pro-One kit. Sounds like fun. ;)

I need to stop reading this thread, as now I want one.. again.

How was this sound programmed?
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:03 pm

Synthaholic wrote:
synth3tik wrote:My Pro One came to me as a box of parts. I built it back up restoring it in the process and it functions and sounds beautiful.
Ooh, a Pro-One kit. Sounds like fun. ;)

I need to stop reading this thread, as now I want one.. again.

How was this sound programmed?
I am out and about and could not hear it all that well, but it seems like the operation mode was drone (which can be really fun), seems like OSC pitch and ENV were being controlled by the LFO MODs.