Analog modular synthesizer

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Post Reply
User avatar
supercluster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: northampton, ma / alfred, ny

Analog modular synthesizer

Post by supercluster » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:27 pm

I'm thinking about investing in an analog modular system. I want to get something that is compact and somewhat portable - i saw that doepfer has briefcase enclosures. i also want something reliable and reasonably affordable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solutions?

Doepfer?
Doepfer A-100, MPC1000, Alesis Ion
Roland Re-20, Moog MF-105, Moog MF-102, boss me50-b

For sale: Yamaha RS7000, Korg Kontrol49

Shanesaw
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:44 pm
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,
Location: Long Beach, California

Post by Shanesaw » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:38 am

I would recommend the Doepfer suitcase. I once owned a A-100G6 system and had no problems with it and it sounded great. Lots of options for modules from Doepfer, Cwejman, Livewire, Plan B, MFB, etc.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:08 pm
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Post by tunedLow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:34 am

Yup, I finish filling my 2 racker next week - mix of doepfer, plan b and livewire. Small and lots of cool modules from various manufactures. The other one to look at is frac rack stuff, but I don't really know much about them.

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Post by seamonkey » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 pm

The stuff from synthesizers.com sounds quite impressive to me and the prices are very reasonable.
Here's a link:
http://www.synthesizers.com/index.html
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

User avatar
Carey M
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 635
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:08 pm
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan
Location: Turku, Finland, EU
Contact:

Post by Carey M » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:28 pm

Mattson Mini Modular is very portable.

- CM

User avatar
Shleed
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 302
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:00 pm
Real name: Ashley Dolan
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge
Location: Loughborough, UK

Post by Shleed » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:34 pm

I'd recommend a doepfer basic system. It's a good system to start with, and is quite reliable and well built. Once you get familiar to it, you can pretty much use any other modular without much hassle.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:08 pm
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Post by tunedLow » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 pm

seamonkey wrote:The stuff from synthesizers.com sounds quite impressive to me and the prices are very reasonable.
Here's a link:
http://www.synthesizers.com/index.html
True, nice modular, I even had a 22 spacer for a while. But after getting eurorack stuff I sold it. I thought that working with the big jacks and modules was cool for a while, but it ended up being a lot of work and took up too much space. Plus you get such a wider variety of modules with the other forms (eurorack or frack). Yeah, I know you can fit some other types into a dot com case, but you need spaces or modifications - it's usually not just plug and play.

I was afraid the small size of the eurorack stuff would be difficult to work with, but that hasn't been the case at all. It's nice having the small cables and not having to stretch to make patches.

User avatar
seamonkey
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 pm
Real name: Rick
Location: Sunny Florida

Post by seamonkey » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:52 pm

tunedLow wrote:
seamonkey wrote:The stuff from synthesizers.com sounds quite impressive to me and the prices are very reasonable.
Here's a link:
http://www.synthesizers.com/index.html
True, nice modular, I even had a 22 spacer for a while. But after getting eurorack stuff I sold it. I thought that working with the big jacks and modules was cool for a while, but it ended up being a lot of work and took up too much space. Plus you get such a wider variety of modules with the other forms (eurorack or frack). Yeah, I know you can fit some other types into a dot com case, but you need spaces or modifications - it's usually not just plug and play.

I was afraid the small size of the eurorack stuff would be difficult to work with, but that hasn't been the case at all. It's nice having the small cables and not having to stretch to make patches.
Very interesting, I hadn't given the eurorack design much thought. I'm curious what system you went with? I know you can mix and match but what basic system did you start with?
The Doepfer A-100 looks good, how does it soundwise stack up against your memory of the dot.com stuff?
I would love to have a small analogue modular system in my studio some day (note small)lol maybe start off with something like the Doepfer mini system.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

User avatar
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:13 am
Real name: Dave
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney
Location: VanNuys, CA USA
Contact:

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Carey M wrote:Mattson Mini Modular is very portable.

- CM
...and it sounds freaking awesome; a lot better than typical doepfer systems imho.
only troubles are the 1/8" jacks and limited limited range of modules available in this format atm. unless you plan on going hogwild with like 5 different filters this is a very tempting entry.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:08 pm
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710
Location: Salt Lake City, UT

Post by tunedLow » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:18 am

seamonkey wrote:
Very interesting, I hadn't given the eurorack design much thought. I'm curious what system you went with? I know you can mix and match but what basic system did you start with?
The Doepfer A-100 looks good, how does it soundwise stack up against your memory of the dot.com stuff?
I would love to have a small analogue modular system in my studio some day (note small)lol maybe start off with something like the Doepfer mini system.
I started out with a 2 rack case and only a few sound processing modules. I only just recently bought a vco for it. I still have a few modules to go to make it a stand-alone synth.

These are the modules I currently have:
Plan B VCO,
Plan B voltage processor
Live Wire Dalek Madulator
Doepfer complex envelope generator
Doepfer SSM style filter
Doepfer wave multiplier
Doepfer bucket brigade delay.

I'm going to finish filling the case with an amp, quad envelope, and a slew limiter. The next case I get I'm going to build myself with their DIY kit. For that one I want for that is another VCO or two, a new filter, a more traditional LFO, another amp, more multiples.

So until I get an amp and more traditional evelopes, I'm running the last out into a Minimoog Voyager's input in, there I use its amp and envelopes (where it also goes through the Voyager's filters). As far as the sound it's kind of hard to say, since it depends on what you get. For VCO's there are choices from Plan B, Doepfer, Cwejman, and Analogue Solutions, and filters by all of the above as well. So you'll get a different sound depending on which of those you get (there may be more than that from other makers, I don't remember names). Then as far as cv, most of those makers have their own envelopes, and so they'll have different snappy-ness to them as well, etc. Anyway, it seems like the eurorack stuff is pretty flexible as far as sound goes.

Post Reply