Combo Organ People?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Combo Organ People?

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Just out of curiosity, who plays a combo organ here? I know Micke and Wiss, but is there anyone else?

I have a mostly-functional Vox Jaguar [note to anyone fixing a Jag -- 22 gauge wire woks better on the rocker switch leads than the spec 24 gauge wire]. I've had Farfisas and a few others. The love of my life was a Farfisa Professional, but it was such a beast to gig with, and a pain to repair.

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:03 pm

yamaha yc30.

redfurniture
Gear: Yamaha CS10, Teisco 60F, Siel DK80, Roland JX3P, Oberheim Strech DX, Yamaha RX15, Farfisa Foyer.

Post by redfurniture » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:04 pm

I do, a Farfisa Foyer basically a mini compact with a built in tube amp and speakers.

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Aye, combo lover here too, although I haven't had anything more exciting than the Farfisa Bravo I owned a couple of years ago, which was cheap and cheerful.

I'd really like to own a Vox Continental one day. I'd be pleased as punch with a Jaguar though. Or a Farfisa Compact.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:04 pm

We've got a Yamaha YC-25D. It's heavy, but sounds great.

V301H
Gear: Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band: The Characters

Post by V301H » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:43 am

I have a few combos. A Vox Super Continental, Italian Continental, American Continental, Farfisa Compact, and Gibson G101. I prefer the first generation 60's organs as they seem to have a more distinctive/recognizable sound. Some 70's combos like the Yamaha YC series are outstanding. The Jaguar was an Italian creation designed to capitalize on the popularity of the Continental series at an entry-level price. They have little in common with other Voxes other than the cabinetry and have circuitry shared with other brands of Italian-made combos. Even so, Jaguars seem to have become a popular item in recent years for their own sound.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 am

Do other electronic organs count? I'm an organ nut. I have had about twelve organs different organs come through my house in the last year. It's my primary instrument too. I have never owned a traditional combo, but I did own this:

At one time I also had a Lowrey that was featurewise very similar to the G101
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:24 am

Farfisa Compact
Farfisa Compact Deluxe

searching for a good Roland VK-01 or 09
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 am

mmm....I have a special place in my heart for organs.

My favorite one at the moment is my Hammond T-200. It's no B3, and I like it that way. Still sounds smooth, the leslie is great, and it has those lovely draw bars.

I also have an old reed organ from who knows when and who knows by. Kind of sounds like an accordion. Kind of cheesey, but neat.

My first organ I ever got was a Thomas Catalina with a leslie bass rotor. My parents got it for me when I was younger. Still have it.

I also had a Hammond Stage II at one point, but I gave it to my mother's friend's autistic daughter so she would have something to play as she loved anything with keys.

Gotta love 'em!
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:52 am

Found a Farfisa Combo Compact at a fleamarked for 20$ which IMO is a good deal. Came with the original pedal and notebook stand. Had to repair the original jack but that was an easy fix. Has a cool and nasty boost-function (e.g The Birthday Party) and sounds beautiful through chorus/phaser and delay.

King Julien

Post by King Julien » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:33 pm

Vox Continental (v early English model). Unfortunately has a tuning problem which may not be fixable.

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:44 pm

No combos now, but in the past I have owned:

-Farfisa Professional Duo
-Farfisa Mini-Compact
-Vox Continental (UK version w/wooden keys)
-Yamaha YC-20
-Yamaha YC-25D
-Yamaha YC-30
-Yamaha YC-45D
-....and a few others that I can't even recall now.

I love combo organs, and I go through phases where I "crave" one and seek them out! :) Right now I'm not into them as much.

If you really want to learn more about them, I strongly suggest heading over to www.combo-organ.com , which is the premier combo organ site on the internet.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:17 pm

Despite spending a large part of my life despising organs, at some point, that broke and I became very interested in combo organs. I love them, now! I just don't record with them much.

I have a Wurlitzer 7300, and I absolutely love it. The sad thing about it is that the tuning pots need to be replaced because some f**k glued them in place at some point in history. ::: enraged :::
My attempts to have them replaced by competent organ techs have been met with an extreme lack of success. In general, techs of all sorts seem to decide whether to fix an item based upon whether they are actually willing to find the parts, or not. In the two cases where I took it to VERY capable people, both times, they were like 'oh, I can't find these pots.' While I'm sure it isn't easy to find the pots, I'm sure they are out there, or that someone could device a way to substitute. I don't know.

The electronics inside looked really easy to access, until I unscrewed them and found that there were a LOT of wires under each card soldered directly to the board... meaning, I think, that disassembly would be a nightmare... perhaps that's why no one wants to fix my poor 7300!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:24 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have a Wurlitzer 7300, and I absolutely love it.
My 1st and it was sweeet.......I didnt have the stand, which would had been cool. I replaced it with a Vox and a Mini-Compact.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 pm

wiss wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have a Wurlitzer 7300, and I absolutely love it.
My 1st and it was sweeet.......I didnt have the stand, which would had been cool. I replaced it with a Vox and a Mini-Compact.
I have never seen anyone who has the stand.
Except me. :)
I am only missing one of the stand-bags (the one for the main column; I have the bags for the feet). I have the case, and a technical manual, too.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay