Best Modern Setup for 80s Style Sounds

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Electric_One

Best Modern Setup for 80s Style Sounds

Post by Electric_One » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Folks

Okay..don't shoot me, I searched and read loads first. lol

I'm glad I found this place. I don't seem to be getting any decent vintage advice anywhere. :(

I have a home studio set up and have played guitars and bass in bands for 15 years or so and have a degree of keyboard experience. I have been looking to invest some hard earned cash in a decent synth lately. Being a child (teenager) of the 1980s, I naturally have a leaning towards doing stuff kinda like from my younger days such as Human League, Depeche Mode, Gary Numan, Soft Cell, OMD, Yazoo etc...and really want their sounds to mess around with. Latterly I can also be found tapping my feet to the likes of Fischerspooner and Plid and like what they've done with their influences.

Although not a purely vintage question. What would be the best modern synthesizer to give me these sounds (as much 80s as possible) but to also give me all the modern gizmos that are available too?

Would the Roland Juno-G do the job? It takes an additional expansion board and is in my price range.

Or, is there something else out there that people would recommend over the Juno-G? Or a different set up?

Ideally, I'm looking to spend less than £700/$1400.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

E1

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:36 pm

Nord lead 2x
Alesis Ion
DSI Prophet 08 rack?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JMP
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Best Modern Setup for 80s Style Sounds

Post by JMP » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Electric_One wrote:such as Human League, Depeche Mode, OMD, Yazoo etc...
Well these make me think vintage mono; Pro One, Prodigy amongst others but you want modern.... presuming you want a range of sounds; bass, lead, pads etc...? Closest I've come to 80's sounds with one modern synth is probably the Korg Radias or any JV, XV or XP synth with the Vintage Synth expansion board, although everyone will probably recommend you their favourite virtual analogue.

Think the key will be down to programming in the end to get what you're looking for.

Windreaper

Post by Windreaper » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:14 pm

New? Juno-G with SRX-07 Ultimate Keys would do the trick (takes care of most vintage keyboard/synthesizer sounds, convincing enough live). If you can buy s/h, get Fantom S/Fantom X instead.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:50 pm

ditto on Nord Lead 2X, plus a nice multi-fx unit.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

mavertron

Post by mavertron » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:53 pm

if you want those sounds,
just buy the old gear, i doubt you'll be satisfied with new stuff,
unless its the dave smith pro 8 / moog phatty..

these virtual analogues, tho nice instruments in themselves dont really do the vintage thing properly.

take it from a massive 80s head, if you want those sounds, get the gear they had -basically vintage, or the modern equiv (basically a new analogue synth)

the new stuff just dont cut it.

just my opinion, but im right.
I shouldnt be here. I should be writing music.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:02 pm

I agree with JMP here, you have to be willing to invest some time in programming to get what you want. On the Juno-G, it can do analog emulation, although that's probably not its strongest area. But it can cover a large range of sounds (remember that DM & OMD used digitals and samplers, along with their analogs) and it's not that difficult to fiddle with.

The Fantom X6 Windreaper mentioned has more bells and whistles and you can probably find one 2nd-hand and stay within your budget and desire for more modern pieces. Or, get a Juno-G + a lower-priced VA such as a Blofeld, Micro Q, or Nova, and you have even more sonic possibilities.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:07 pm

mavertron wrote:if you want those sounds,
just buy the old gear, i doubt you'll be satisfied with new stuff,
unless its the dave smith pro 8 / moog phatty..

these virtual analogues, tho nice instruments in themselves dont really do the vintage thing properly.

take it from a massive 80s head, if you want those sounds, get the gear they had -basically vintage, or the modern equiv (basically a new analogue synth)

the new stuff just dont cut it.

just my opinion, but im right.
no kidding..

well, poster did ask for a modern synth. second, he does put the limit at 1400 bucks.

it doesnt take an Einstein to recommend him to blow away 4 - 5K, and get an OBXa, Pro One, Oberheim DX and Jupiter4. sure that will sound better than any VA and do most synth pop hits. if there's room throw in a PPG 2.3 as well. :lol:

and, getting into vintages, and maintenance i$$ues is not for everyone. i dig it. but many dont.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:45 pm

I second the suggestion of the Prophet 08 Rack. That's on my own wish list.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Forgive the ramblings badly spelt of a slightly drunkish 80s fiend, but here goes anyway:

The man might be right when he says if you're really that into getting the right sounds, modern gear might not quite do the trick for you. But then, it might. Depends on your criteria. Having a bunch of old stuff, and a (smaller) bunch of new stuff, adn also being DM, OMD etc-head, I prefer my old stuff. So JMP's suggestion of vintage (analogue) monosynths is fair, and for your budget you could pick up (say) a Yamaha CS5, Roland TR-606 and a Juno 6 and still have change for the bus home. That gives you a mono, a poly, and a drum machine. But first you;d have to find them, and there is the question of occasional maintenance, but most things in my experience are mostly reliable unless you cane them.

Anyway. Modern synths like the Nord (I have a 2x) are OK and can sound a bit retro some of the time. But generally the nord is clearer, more crystalline and some say harsher. But the nord is 4-part multitimbral (4 sounds at once) and has MIDI. Which may or may not matter. Oh and it's red. Nice. But the nords aren't half bad actually, and even though I record stuff with my vintages, the nord gets a workout when it comes to basic demo structures or the occasional actual track. That's not selling it I know, but it's a matter of taste.

I also have a microkorg, which i bought for the vocoder, and it's (for me) a bit of a pain, so I personally wouldn't recommend it, but plenty of folk have more fun with them than I do. Think "Killers lead sound".

Modern stuff like the Moog LP or Dave Smith Evolvers are great, and will sound fairly like your target, infact probably most likely candidates for that stuff in my own opinion, but you'd only get one for your budget. The MEK is capable of loads, and sounds like a bag full of happiness, which is a goood thing as it's blue and costs £700, while the LP has a silly name and sounds like Kraftwerk. It has more of the Minimoog-type 70s-ness to it than the Evolver. the Evo has two digital oscillators as well, which means you'll get some harsh trashiness and metallic edge to it as well as analogue smoothness and it has loads of modulation possibilitues, which means potential for crazy sounds.

I really am rambling, so I'll stop. But those are my two or three hapen'orths.

:wink:

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:14 am

korg poly 800

korg ddd1 / yamaha rx5 drum machine.

Nobody said ION? for the money and amount of filters I bet with some downloaded patches or careful programming there isn't much you can't do if you're not overly picky.. either that or an MS2000?

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:31 am

For the 80s New Wave cover band I play in, we use the following synthesizers on stage to recreate those authentic 80s sounds:

Roland D50
Korg X3
Alesis Ion
Kawai SX-240
Oberheim OB8

Check out our myspace for musical examples that include these instruments. We did all the programming ourselves.

http://www.myspace.com/6mdb

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:45 am

matrix 6 / 1000

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:06 am

I'm surprised there are so many people out there that don't know what the word modern means. ;)

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:08 am

You should tyr out all these before buying

But I think a Nord Lead 2x should do you just fine. It's got a realy wide pallet of sounds
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.