T Dream- Logos: guess the synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
THM
Gear: ARP 2600
Elka Synthex
EML Polybox
EMS SynthiAKS
mTron
MOOG Mini- & Memorymoog
Oberheim SEM
Roland Jupiter-8/...
Yamaha CS80
DotCom
>see MySpace
Band: THM

Post by THM » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 pm

tim gueguen wrote:Sure sounds like it. Compare it to Geddy Lee's Minimoog leads on Rush's "Subdivisions" and "Countdown" from Signals. The timbres aren't identical, but to my ear they sound like they come from the same instrument.

Thanks !! About that lead: I thought Minimoog too, but I just liked to have some confirmation about that.

If anybody'd still have a different thought, please let me know.

PS: to Micke: awesome pics again !!!!!!
DotCom Modular * ARP 2600 * Elka Synthex * EML PolyBox * EMS Synthi AKS * MOOG Minimoog Model D, Memorymoog * Kurzweil PC88 * Oberheim SEM * Roland Jupiter-8, JP-8080, Juno-60, TR808, TB303, MKS50, RE301, SDE330, SRV330 * Yamaha CS0 * see THM on MySpace

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:57 pm

shaft9000 wrote:
madtheory wrote: Is the Poland album as good as Logos?
I say even better, as it is a double album of visionary, thoroughly high quality music. Perhaps their best live release of all... if I had to choose.
...the intro of Poland just kills me every time!!
I'd have to agree. TR808 drums over ever-growing waves of analogue lovliness at a quickening pace. They'd obviously perfected their live perforamnce by this time and carried more gear on this tour than any other. There is tons more drums and layering, than even appears in earlier 80's recordings, although the mixes are obviously not up to studio recording standards. I hear the weather conditions and equipment failures were severe enough to make the completion of this recording a sheer miracle.

I have the hard-to-find Relativity double-cd release with the full length of tracks. It's a great insight into their last days of 90% analogue, before they slimmed down to a 2 man digital lamefest with lousy guitar playing. Does anyone else think "Optical Race" is a lame,happy version of Claudio Simonetti's main theme to "Phenomena"?

I would say both Logos and Tangram have much better pads. Poland feels more like a concert, though. Poland also stands up to repeat listens better, imo.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mis psiquicios y yo

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:21 am

"Is the Poland album as good as Logos?[/quote]

Logos is a great TD album, but Poland is one of the top 5 TD albums IMO.

If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor and hear it
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:44 am

Logos has some sections that really stand out, but overall i dont like it as much. boring. prefer Poland as well, tho each has its own vibe.

all in all, i prefer their earlier setup from Tangram/Exit era, not the Logos/WhiteEagle. i love Jupiter8, but dont feel it fits as good with the TD's dark psyhedelic sound. at least the way they played it, echoing current mainstream (synth pop-ish) styles..

i feel Exit setup is the golden grail of the Schmoeling TD era: minimoog, PPG Wave2, Synlavier II, Rhapsody 610, OBX, P5 Rev2, moog and PPG modular etc..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

intercorni
Band: Lustobjekt

Post by intercorni » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 am

The song was played semi playback. The PPG Melody line comes from the tape. Nobody plays this live.
I suspect that the sequencer by Froese and Schmoelling only for show. Because what instruments should trigger?
Certainly, some tracks of the tape (8-Track?) played, and a time code track trigger the Franke Moog sequencer.
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer
https://www.facebook.com/cornel.hecht

john909kid
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by john909kid » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:48 pm

intercorni wrote:
The song was played semi playback. The PPG Melody line comes from the tape. Nobody plays this live.
I suspect that the sequencer by Froese and Schmoelling only for show. Because what instruments should trigger?
Certainly, some tracks of the tape (8-Track?) played, and a time code track trigger the Franke Moog sequencer.
I've a much better quality recording of this concert, and looking at it carefully, I can see that Franke's Prophet 5 is not even switched on as there's none of the red LED's lit up.
The same for a recording of the Poland concert I also have. Franke's Prophet 5 is mysteriously void of any lit LED's, and Froese's miming is really bad in places!!!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:08 pm

THM wrote: Thanks !! About that lead: I thought Minimoog too, but I just liked to have some confirmation about that.

If anybody'd still have a different thought, please let me know.
It sounds like PWM to me, which a MiniMoog doesn't have as standard. But it was a common mod, TD are very likely to have had it.

Dissapointed to see that there may have been playback...

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:57 pm

intercorni wrote:
I think you're right in that it's semi playback. I love that fat Prophet 5 lead in the first part. Froese's and Schmoelling's custom sequencers may have been there for show only but I'm pretty sure they actually used them on the fall 1981 and 1982 tours.

I'm not sure what instruments they were triggering though. I seem to remember to have read in an interview that they were prototypes for the EEH custom sequencers that they used on later tours.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

intercorni

Post by intercorni » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:34 pm

In the background behind Froese and Schmoelling stand the EEH sequencer.
I have the EEH DS 500 Sequenzer :-)
http://www.till-kopper.de/eeh.html
http://www.synrise.de/user/eeh.htm

The small monitors are unknown to me. Possibly. Maybe an Apple computer with a sequencer software?
PPG Wave 2.2 | 2x PPG Waveterm A | PPG PRK | Roland Jupiter-6 | Roland Juno-6 | Waldorf Microwave | Elka Rhapsody 610 | Moog Polymoog | Minimoog Model D | Casio FZ1 | h**l Modular Synthesizer

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:46 pm

Do you mean the big sequencers used by Froese and Schmoelling during 1981 and 1982 tours also were built by EEH*, or are you referring to EEH CM-4's that they used on the 1983-1984 tours?

Micke

*) it would make sense since they apparently were prototypes for the CM-4 polyrhythmic sequencers.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

intercorni

Post by intercorni » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Micke wrote:Do you mean the big sequencers used by Froese and Schmoelling during 1981 and 1982 tours also were built by EEH*, or are you referring to EEH CM-4's that they used on the 1983-1984 tours?

Micke

*) it would make sense since they apparently were prototypes for the CM-4 polyrhythmic sequencers.
Yes, the big sequencers behind Froese/Schmoelling is EEH. And Similar to the DS500
I see the Logos Show November 1982 in East Germany and I was not 3 yards before Edgar.
The photo of the Edgar on the Jupiter8 is also from me :-)

philip

Post by philip » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:58 pm

What’s the song playing in the very beginning of the video&

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:31 am

intercorni wrote:
Micke wrote: Yes, the big sequencers behind Froese/Schmoelling is EEH. And Similar to the DS500
I see the Logos Show November 1982 in East Germany and I was not 3 yards before Edgar.
The photo of the Edgar on the Jupiter8 is also from me :-)
This should mean that Helmut Groethe was related to EEH since he built those sequencers, right?

So you took that photo of Froese with the Jup-8 and custom sequencer, how cool!

intercorni

Post by intercorni » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:34 am

EEH is not Helmut Groethe. EEH is Electronic Engineering Hoffman
Helmut Groethe I do not know.

In the video TD plays the Track "Kiew Mission" from the CD "Exit".
The video shows only an excerpt.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:24 pm

Yes I know that, it's just that it mentions in numerous TD articles/gearlists that the big custom sequencers used by Froese and Schmoelling during the 1981 and 1982 tours were built by Helmut Groethe.

This is the sequencer I'm talking about:

The EEH CM-4 sequencers look considerably different and are much smaller in size.