Synth with keys and a 32 step sequencer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
crufty

Post by crufty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:00 pm

Do romplers count? There is the korg microx, I think it has 48 step arps, sort of a sequencer.

then the workstations, korg M3 / Oasys.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

reset wrote:Nord Modular G2 comes to mind, too. Has Midi, full size keys, a sequencer and a rather good HW interface. Plus you could completely customize its sequencer.

JS, you could also run GND Imp out of your MDUW to clock an SH101's sequencer if that would be an option.

Don't do the Micron. It has the most uninspiring sequencer ever.
G2 is a bit more than I want to spend, but would be ideal...I'll think about it. I just wonder how easy it is to use. New topic.

I agree on the Micron...it was the second synth I bought after the Monomachine back a few years ago...just so many shortcomings.
Last edited by JSRockit on Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Zamise wrote:
BTW, calling programable arps sequencers kind of frizzles my hackles a bit, but I can let that slide too as I know the arguments there too and I probably won't win...
Me too. :lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Zamise wrote:I think you should reconsider the Micron. Its one of the few reasons I keep one around, for its great programable arp/seq. You can send single note to its arp via midi from another synth or vice versa arps out midi, and then hide it in your duffle bag on the floor :)
Not enough knobs for me...and the fact that you cannot program the drums together with the synth...and you have to match them up later always seemed stupid to me. I know, the drum machine is an extra add on...but I like things to be perfect. :oops:

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:18 pm

Have you considered the spectral audio cyclonus? It's only 16 steps, but you have song mode to chain them together (I think). Wish they'd have a rackable 16 knob x 3 row version that allowed more then 16 steps per measure AND have a way to delay the first note without losing that note.

the music I get alternates between the genius (well, ok not really, at least mildly interesting) and the insane (eg completely unlistenable). Its knobby though so MAYBE it's an alternative way to get where you want to be?

mono/noise

Post by mono/noise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:03 pm

It's probably way out of the price range you where thinking about but the Artura Origin has a 32 step sequencer and a keyboard version.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
www.myspace.com/mnoise

Gadgets: Pulse+_Opera 6_Jen SX1000_microKorg
Xbase 09_SK-5_CZ-3000_ESQ-1_Electone A-55_Theremin
Cracklebox_Thingamagoop_Game Boy( LSDJ )_KP3_MPD24
Tascam Porta 07_Multimix 12_Logic Studio_Live 6

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:45 pm

mono/noise wrote:It's probably way out of the price range you where thinking about but the Artura Origin has a 32 step sequencer and a keyboard version.

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/pro ... intro.html
You know, I forgot about that. That does fit the bill completely. But yeah, I don't want to spend that kind of cash. I think I'm 75% sure that the Nord G2 may be the way to go for me since it can be used as an effects box, a vocoder, any synth I need that the MnM doesn't offer, and it is in the perfect form factor / size. The learning curve might be steep...but so was the MnM for me. I'm sure making a basic synth and sequencer in the G2 isn't beyond me....I hope. Anything else I learn is just extra.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Zamise wrote:I think you should reconsider the Micron. Its one of the few reasons I keep one around, for its great programable arp/seq. You can send single note to its arp via midi from another synth or vice versa arps out midi, and then hide it in your duffle bag on the floor :)
One of the reasons I've considered the Micron (more than the Ion) is that the sequencer includes a modeled drum machine.

Side quesiton: do any of you have both a Micron and a Mm Voyager? Ever used the Voyager panel to edit the Micron? (I just thought of that three minutes ago.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Dano

Post by Dano » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:09 pm

The E-Mu Proteus 2000 synths have a 32 step arpeggiator that is essentially a 32 step sequencer (and if a note is repeated sequentially then it only counts as one step no matter how many times that it is repeated...within certain limits of course). And, you can run a different 32 step arp on each of the 16 MIDI channels.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:38 pm

waldorf Q has a 32 step sequencer and a programmable arpeggiator that can run together

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:59 pm

JSRockit wrote:I was always confused about the 2 - 32 polyphonic arps... what is the difference or catch?
The Radias is always in a multitimbral mode.

Each program can have up to 4 timbres in use, each program has one arpeggiator and two step sequencers. The arp and each sequencer can be assigned to any timbre.

For example, you can assign the arp to drive one timbre, the first step sequencer to drive a second timbre and have the second sequencer to drive the other two timbres. Or you can use one sequencer to drive all four timbres, etc. Both sequencers can play up to 8 notes per step.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
The Radias is always in a multitimbral mode.

Each program can have up to 4 timbres in use, each program has one arpeggiator and two step sequencers. The arp and each sequencer can be assigned to any timbre.

For example, you can assign the arp to drive one timbre, the first step sequencer to drive a second timbre and have the second sequencer to drive the other two timbres. Or you can use one sequencer to drive all four timbres, etc. Both sequencers can play up to 8 notes per step.
Sounds like a h**l of a sequencer... how's the synth engine though?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:56 pm

JSRockit wrote:Sounds like a h**l of a sequencer... how's the synth engine though?
Well, it's a Korg :? It's OK but it has it's weak points...notably OSC2 is much less well-endowed than OSC1 and the filters aren't very fat sounding. You won't mistake it for a Moog...an ARP maybe 8)

It makes up for the less than earth-shaking sound by having an interesting 6-slot mod matrix (wanna modulate the ADSR slopes of the EGs?), dual filters (one morphable), an internal audio bus for routing one timbre's output into another timbre's input for some really effed-up noises, audio inputs that can be sampled and stored for driving the vocoder and allowing edits to arps and sequences as they are running.

I've had it for about six months and have just scratched the surface. I use it exclusively for dialing up weird FX and pads rather than creating basses, leads, etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:43 pm

JSRockit wrote:
Not enough knobs for me...and the fact that you cannot program the drums together with the synth...and you have to match them up later always seemed stupid to me. I know, the drum machine is an extra add on...but I like things to be perfect. :oops:
Fair reasons, I understand those. I always like reading about prog arp/seqs, tough to have really great ones what I think, no epxect, that all should have, but most of the time I'm disapointed by them. Hope you can find something that will flip the bill for ya JS. I'll keep an second eyeball out if I hear of anything not listed yet that might.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

ill electro

Post by ill electro » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 pm

The v synth has a step seq but not 32 steps. heres a short right up i found.

There’s a programmable arpeggiator with rhythmic and timbral controls – it’s really a joy to work with, acting more like a mini-sequencer than a standard arpeggiator. You have the ability to create traditional arpeggios, or record a 16-step sequence in real time, including changes to D-Beam, TimeTrip, or the Assignable Controller values.
Curent gear: Alesis A6,Fender Chroma Polaris,Arp Avatar,DSI Evolver,Yamaha DX200,Korg DSS1,Korg EMX,Akai S612 &S900,Novation Bassstaion Rack,Roland V Synth w/D50,MC909,Peavey Spectrum Bass