Could I do dark, ambient music with this synth setup?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 am

You might want to get a useful sampler, and instead of a slew of monos or a horribly expensive polysynth, get a modular synthesizer. Atonal and evolving sequences are very easy to do on those.

Also, try http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/ - it does what no outboard or regular sampler can do. If you want to use it and you're not that much of a fan of computers, you need a sampler with a good amount of memory to hold it. It out-drones everything else.

Sure, it doesn't have a really pretty interface, but it's free and the results are pretty damn amazing ;).
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

mirt

Post by mirt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:25 am

1. effects - good reverb delays but also some s&h lo-fi like stutter i eventide,
it's better to have many old cheap reverbs instead of one great and natural sounding.
2. sampler - for everything, pads, drones, fx, dirt, field recordings, clics etc.
3. polyphonic analog synth - obx/p5/j8 - or some big modular system (forget about monos). for fat drones, pads, bleeps, pulses
4. dx7 - great for cold industrial sounds and ambient slowly changing pads, but you must know how to programe it.

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:13 pm

mirt wrote:1. effects - good reverb delays but also some s&h lo-fi like stutter i eventide,
it's better to have many old cheap reverbs instead of one great and natural sounding.
2. sampler - for everything, pads, drones, fx, dirt, field recordings, clics etc.
3. polyphonic analog synth - obx/p5/j8 - or some big modular system (forget about monos). for fat drones, pads, bleeps, pulses
4. dx7 - great for cold industrial sounds and ambient slowly changing pads, but you must know how to programe it.
Why the sampler?

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:53 pm

sampler is useful here in the way that it will enable you play just about any sound.
some naturaly boring sound can become monstrer after tweaking them. ex, get outside record yourself giving a kick on a fence, garbage can, what ever you feet feels for. then stretch it (use the program above it' look pretty good,but i haven't tried it yet i usualy use cool edit pro for these thing) chage it's pitch, octave. add distortion or what ever you feel like. then dump it into your sampler, the sampler makes it very easy to use. i like and don't have much problems with computer but i just like it to have a stand alone device for that purpose, no messing, cpu/ram useage. when it's on it works. point finale. + with some you even have some filter that can be useful.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:57 pm

Also, it frees up your synths. If you have some drone sound or effects sound that you've made with any of your existing synthesizers, record it in the sampler, and then use the synth for other duties.

Demo of the above application so it may convince you:

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/pauls ... digras.mp3

Bob James' "Take me to the Mardi Gras" stretched to 8 times its original length, a short fragment of the result.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

MitchK1989

Post by MitchK1989 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:06 pm

I'd use Reaktor for that, frankly... Make your own f***ed up digital effects.

You could work purely with Reaktor... But that might not be overly fun, so you may wish to use Reaktor for effects and use all that hardware synth money on a big kickass modular or an old sampler with a lot of character (sample reaktor synth patches, screw with them on the sampler, play them on the sampler, mangle the output with reaktor...)

Saeptus

Post by Saeptus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:30 am

What I learned (and sort of learned the hard way) is that it really doesn't matter precisely which synths you have, or how many you have. My point is that you could do dark ambient on an Ion or a Korg MonoPoly or Roland Juno, or a digital synth like a Roland JX-305 (which Anthony Gonzalez uses to astonishing effect on a wide range of sounds, including ambient). And then you have the group The Knife who, to my ears, seem to be using an Access Virus synth, supplemented by soft synths and effects.

What is crucial, however, is a flexible and powerful effects unit. One synth and one effects unit is really all you need.
Synths: Moog Sub 37, Korg Minilogue, Moog Mother-32, DSI MEK, Waldorf Blofeld, Korg Monologue, Alesis Ion.

Other equipment: Elektron Digitak, Korg Electribe Sampler II, Squier Jazzmaster, Fender Tele MIJ, and many FX pedals.